Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cordless lawnmowers

PaulWhitt20

Hi,

I got a gtech cordless lawnmower a few years ago and it is really great not being tied with the cable. However the Battery went just after the two year warranty expired. I bought a replacement Battery at a cost of £150. Now the replacement Battery has gone after another 15 months. I don’t want to keep forking out £150 for a new Battery every year. Argos have a Spear and Jackson one for £180 with a 3 year warranty. I may be tempted to try. Any other suggestions ?

Not interested in a petrol mower.

Thanks

Paul

• Sad 1

I have used a Stihl cordless mower a couple of times. It was brilliant.
It was not mine though and I believe they are pricey.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Our Bosch handles everything thrown at it, even after 3 weeks holiday. Great thing is one can cut quite wet grass with no issues.

I bought one 3 years ago and it’s great. Generally only needs charging once a season 

Thanks for the replies, it seems as though people like German engineering in their mowers at least.

Been in touch with Gtech, they will not replace under warranty as the spare Battery I bought is only covered for 6 months, even though the original Battery is covered for 2 years.

Well wont be buying their products again.

13 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Thanks for the replies, it seems as though people like German engineering in their mowers at least.

Been in touch with Gtech, they will not replace under warranty as the spare battery I bought is only covered for 6 months, even though the original battery is covered for 2 years.

Well wont be buying their products again.

I wouldn't let that put you off because almost all manufacturers of almost anything will always stipulate that very same condition.

I bought a Dell monitor with three years warranty and had to have it replaced after six months, but although it's been replaced with exactly the same model I don't get another three-year warranty on the replacement, only the unused portion of the original, ie, 2.5 years.

Over the years, a Bosch fridge and a Panasonic TV have all suffered the same fate - the replacement is never covered for as long as the original was.

We have a Makita cordless lawn mower that works well:

https://www.makitauk.com/product/dlm382pg2

The added bonus being that it used the same 18v batteries as the Makita power tools, so we also use them for the drill, impact driver, hedge trimmer, etc..

They are reasonably priced as well:

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-bl1850x2-18v-lxt-5-0ah-li-ion-battery-twin-pack

22 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I wouldn't let that put you off because almost all manufacturers of almost anything will always stipulate that very same condition.

I bought a Dell monitor with three years warranty and had to have it replaced after six months, but although it's been replaced with exactly the same model I don't get another three-year warranty on the replacement, only the unused portion of the original, ie, 2.5 years.

Over the years, a Bosch fridge and a Panasonic TV have all suffered the same fate - the replacement is never covered for as long as the original was.

Last year our LG 50" TV failed just before the expiry of the 5 year guarantee from John Lewis.  They sent someone out to inspect it and it was deemed an uneconomical repair.  JL offered me the LG 50" equivalent as a straight replacement on the original guarantee terms, but if I wished to upgrade and pay some money, the new TV would get the 5 year guarantee.  I upgraded to a Samsung 55" and paid £50.  Worth trying for an upgrade to see if the same applies with other products/companies.

• Like 1

I have the Bosch Rotak too.  It feels flimsy but does the job.  It came with 2 batteries that still work and is now about 7  years old.  Unfortunately, I forgot I had left Battery on charge and some three days later Battery was OK but charger kaput. I bought a second hand dedicated charger with Battery off eBay and the extra Battery is useful when grass is rather wet and more is taken out of the Battery.  This reminds me that I must get replacement parts as the switches one one side no longer work.

As regards the motor mower, petrol should still be available for many years.  I have a very sturdy petrol self propelled Masport that I have not used for several  years as we now have a smaller area of grass and the Battery mower does the job.  I must do something with the Masport, 'the' mower in Australia and New Zealand.

i