Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Headlight blown on 400H

Hi can anyone advise on which bulb I need for the headlight on a 400H and If I need to change both (left and right)  or just the single blown one? I am not sure if I need a HID or not. Also are these easy to fit?

Thanks

Andre

My 2005 RX300 had xenons and yes, easy enough to get in and out.

If I remember correctly the passenger side is the easiest to get at so just take that one out to see what it is and then buy two of those. You don't have to replace both but it's best to do so because they do degrade over time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi 

Thanks for all your replies, It does take Xenons Hid D2S as per the handbook.. Although it seems fitting them involves taking out the light unit so I will get my Machanic to do this as you have to drop the bumper slightly. ( Unless someone knows of an easier way ) I’ll replace both especially since I cannot remove the existing bulb to check brand. It was a lot easier in the RX300 I used to have.

Cheers guys!! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just swapped out one of the HIDs on my 400h. It's a pain but straight forward. 

The wheel arch liner needs pulling back, a torx screw needs removing first. There is then a 10mm screw bolt that is fitted vertically holding the corner of the bumper in place against the wing. Remove this and pop the corner of the bumper away from the wing. 

Move to the front and remove all of the little black trim clips along the top of the bumper in front of the rad. You can then pull the bumper forward and down.

The head lamp is held in with 3 10mm bolts, 2 on top in the engine bay, the 3rd is on the side, an inch or so below the wing/bumper join line, 5 inches ahead of the wheel arch sitting behind the bumper. You can get to it by pulling the bumper corner out and down. Remove this bolt and then jiggle the head lamp out. The HIDs are covered by a circular cover, turn it anti clock wise and the cover comes off. The next step is to remove the lamp holder, again turn it anticlock wise and it'll come off. There is then a spring clip holding the lamp in place, squeeze the clip at the top and it hinges down. The lamp can then be removed. 

Fit the new lamp and put it all back together in the reverse order to above. 

It took me about an hour, when I do the other side it'll be a lot quicker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, impero said:

When i meant high voltage i was talking about HID.

HID bulbs also use high voltage, so as i recall voltage there is even higher then on battery.

That's correct.

It takes about 20kV to strike the arc and about 80V to maintain it.

If the lights have been on then switch off and wait for about 10 minutes before going anywhere near the choke (ballast). Of course, if the lights are off then that's fine.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:53 AM, impero said:

When i meant high voltage i was talking about HID.

HID bulbs also use high voltage, so as i recall voltage there is even higher then on battery.

Sorry, I should have realised that. I was tempted to disconnect the Battery but decided leaving the lights switched off was safe enough. I did test the new lamp before refitting the head light though.