Don C

Dirty Bottom!

This NX is the worst car I’ve had for gathering dirt inside the door shuts;

C00-BA01-F-9942-46-A1-B1-AF-78-C8-D858-A

AA095990-0885-455-D-9558-B0-D2-BD45-ED2-

A quick pressure wash and Autoglym synthetic leather brings it back to presentable and avoids dirty clothes.  

99FD8633-0024-4200-B263-0E464F92A7D3.jpg

CAB5D8E5-64FC-4862-BB50-F04B6D66FADD.jpg

Don’t forget that fuel door either!

D919D470-4F39-48D4-A4BD-652AA6241166.jpg

• Like 1

The RC is similar. A quick wipe over with a damp microfiber does the job between washes.👍

Keeps the wife's short legs from brushing it off the sills 😉

• Like 1

Yes it is a dirt trap inside the rear doors 

Sorry, I love my car but ultimately it's a means of getting from a to b and I'm fortunate enough to have a GS so can do those journeys in relative luxury. However, relative is the most important word in that sentence. We're currently living with a global pandemic. The biggest killer currently in the world is dehydration due to diahrrea. There are millions of people globally who do not have access to clean water or decent sanitation so forgive me if I'm not too sympathetic about your dirty door shuts!

It's a car, a means of transport. Treat it as such. And I'm an old petrolhead, but with perspective!

A damp microfiber cloth doesn't use much water..

As far as having a perspective? What about the millions of litres lost each month through leaking pipes?

Each of us saving 20-40litres a week by not cleaning our cars will, no matter how much it hurts to say, not help the millions worldwide suffering from dehydration.

• Like 1

I'm told it takes about 40,000 gallons to make a car - gosh!

To save water I do my bit - don't wash it as often, use less around the house.

Leaking pipes are an issue.

But yes, a damp cloth, or let it dry and brush it off, or a bucket and brush, or ...?

• Like 1

With Lexus paint being pretty soft I would be wary of running a damp cloth over dirty paintwork

2 hours ago, westo3 said:

With Lexus paint being pretty soft I would be wary of running a damp cloth over dirty paintwork

Why is Lexus paint so soft? Not good on an expensive product. Has Lexus ever commented on this ?

Don't confuse 'soft paint' with Lexus' self-healing top coat.

And there's opinion that paint on Japanese cars is generally "soft". Not really sure how true that it is. Seems to be car internet lore.

7 hours ago, rich1068 said:

And there's opinion that paint on Japanese cars is generally "soft". Not really sure how true that it is. Seems to be car internet lore.

The paint on some Japanese cars can be troublesome but if this Lexus of mine is typical of the other colours then nobody should worry about it.  

20 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

Sorry, I love my car but ultimately it's a means of getting from a to b and I'm fortunate enough to have a GS so can do those journeys in relative luxury. However, relative is the most important word in that sentence. We're currently living with a global pandemic. The biggest killer currently in the world is dehydration due to diahrrea. There are millions of people globally who do not have access to clean water or decent sanitation so forgive me if I'm not too sympathetic about your dirty door shuts!

It's a car, a means of transport. Treat it as such. And I'm an old petrolhead, but with perspective!

When you’ve done trying to make owners feel guilty about washing their cars in one of the wettest countries in the world, you run a Lexus in one of the richest countries in the world so maybe you should think about that rather than being a hypocrite.  I don’t know how you sleep at night.  Or maybe it makes you feel better about running an unkempt tip on wheels. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One occasionally meets people whose justification for not cleaning their car as frequently or as thoroughly as they should is because it is simply a means of

getting from a to b, and in my experience further discussion is a waste of time if they truly and seriously mean what they say.  In fact, their attitude is so far

removed from my own that, unless the car in question is so filthy as to present clear evidence to the contrary, my invariable reaction is to believe they are

joking.  Except in times of drought and/or seasonal rationing, I don't believe the use of water in reasonable quantities, say 4-5 bucketfuls or 1-2 time-limited

jetwash sessions, to be wasteful in terms of personal and public hygiene, routine bodywork maintenance, and simple aesthetics.   Be this as it may, I fail to

see the connection between the car-washing practices of the populations of Europe and most of North America and the lack of clean water and good

sanitation in many other areas of the world.  Yes, the world has greater problems than the proneness to dirtying of the NX and the RC, but it is probably 

a good thing that the cleaning thereof - or simply reading about it in the LOC - might momentarily help to take our minds off them.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2020 at 9:51 PM, Don C said:

When you’ve done trying to make owners feel guilty about washing their cars in one of the wettest countries in the world, you run a Lexus in one of the richest countries in the world so maybe you should think about that rather than being a hypocrite.  I don’t know how you sleep at night.  Or maybe it makes you feel better about running an unkempt tip on wheels. 

I can't make people feel guilty, that is down to their own conscience. All I'm trying to say is that there are more important things to worry about than a dirty bottom. Especially now that lockdown 2 didn't lead to panic buying of loo rolls!

4 hours ago, Rabbers said:

One occasionally meets people whose justification for not cleaning their car as frequently or as thoroughly as they should is because it is simply a means of

getting from a to b, and in my experience further discussion is a waste of time if they truly and seriously mean what they say.  In fact, their attitude is so far

removed from my own that, unless the car in question is so filthy as to present clear evidence to the contrary, my invariable reaction is to believe they are

joking.  Except in times of drought and/or seasonal rationing, I don't believe the use of water in reasonable quantities, say 4-5 bucketfuls or 1-2 time-limited

jetwash sessions, to be wasteful in terms of personal and public hygiene, routine bodywork maintenance, and simple aesthetics.   Be this as it may, I fail to

see the connection between the car-washing practices of the populations of Europe and most of North America and the lack of clean water and good

sanitation in many other areas of the world.  Yes, the world has greater problems than the proneness to dirtying of the NX and the RC, but it is probably 

a good thing that the cleaning thereof - or simply reading about it in the LOC - might momentarily help to take our minds off them.

Am so glad that we're not all the same. That would make life boring! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

Am so glad that we're not all the same. That would make life boring! 

In normal times I would emphatically agree.  Today, however, I am coming to believe that a greater degree of sameness in people's opinions would perhaps be more

comforting than boring.  But I'll stop there, this being a car forum and not a philosophy club!...🤐