Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mark Levinson value

Mossypossy

Just looking at an RCF and no ML...:sad:...this on a car that was £60k plus two years ago. I currently have Harman kardon and profess to enjoying a decent sound quality so it might be a miss.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mossypossy said:

Looking at the price of Mark Levinson audio products for the home ££££!

I wonder what the actual value of the system in my car is.

Mark Levinson in the car is Harman. Home ML is something different. Manufacturers including Lexus don't usually spend very much on the individual audio components so it probably isn't worth a lot but Lexus do much better than most of the competition. 

ML in the RCF is a bit of a joke when the car is sending 'tuned' induction/exhaust noise at you. 

Yes I love the sales hype.🤣

The engineers do the best they can with the budget and it sounds pretty good. In some models the system sounds very good. 

The question was about the value of the system in the GS450. Examining the components will reveal that the budget provided doesn't quite match the advertising hype but the sum of the parts would be worth something to a GS owner wishing to upgrade. I recall being quoted over £800 for an amp and £300 for an LS430 sub many years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Home audio:

Want good treble and mid-range: electrostatic speakers from Quad are the best I have heard; for home use; with Quad valve amps.

We used them to listen to vocal tracks in 1974. Since then I have not worked with music so what is used now is something, I have no idea about.

Maybe the new Quad loudspeakers are able to reproduce bass as well. The old Quad electrostats needed to stand about 1 meter from corner walls go get reasonably good deep tone reproduction. Not something everybody want in their house. But better treble and mid-range I have never heard.

I still have my old B&O 6500 system and that is good enough for me. Hearing does not get better with age. A pair of old Koss headphones is still the best I have heard but listening to music alone is not really funny.

Car audio:

The ML-audio in our CT200H is sufficient for us. What matters most when installing audio in any room is the correct position of the loudspeakers. In a car the listeners are sitting where they are sitting so installing loudspeakers is not at all easy when all in a car should have good sound quality. I think the people that made the audio system in the CT200H did a terrific job and I am pretty sure (without having heard other than our own) that the rest of the Lexus car range have pretty good audio systems installed. Hybrid cars are rather low noise so they do not need audio systems that can blow out the windows when turned on full volume. To me sound quality and clearness is important and extremely loud music is only good for the companies making hearing aids.

Happy with the Lexus? Absolutely.

On 11/23/2020 at 1:52 PM, Neil E said:

The question was about the value of the system in the GS450. 

I had GS 450h and now a RX 450h, and in my opinion  ML in GS was  slightly better than ML in RX, even if both are quite good.