Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 KEY NOT DETECTED MESSAGE

SB2703

Lexus IS250 'Key not detected'

Good evening can any one offer some advice. My Car worked perfectly yesterday, but when I got in it today a message on the dash come up 'Key not detected' . I read the handbook which mentioned about putting key near the start button and the car did start, however the message was still coming up. I tried my spare fob and this was the same. I have changed both batteries, but the only way to start the car is by putting key near starter switch. I haven't driven the car as I do not want to get stranded. The car will not lock using the fobs at the moment either.  Is there something else I need to do, or do I need to contact the dealer (hopefully not). Thank you in advance for any assistance.

The key fobs work on a fequency of either 430MHz or 433MHz, I can't remember which, along with other things like some baby monitors, remote gate or garage openers and other stuff.

It could be radio interference from any of those things, so try moving the car about 5 or 10m away and see if the fobs now work.

• Like 2

Happened to my wife's RX yesterday - same message.

It was the car Battery ( not the fobs ).

[ She called out the AA who I assume started it with a portable starter - then let it 'run' for an hour. ]

• Like 3

Thank you Herbs (Herbie) and PCM (Piers). Was all set to move it as suggested but when i got in today my starter button lit up green and car started perfectly. I can only assume that as suggested there was something blocking my signal, been out come back and all ok. Thank you for your prompt responses and help with my issue.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SB2703 said:

Thank you Herbs (Herbie) and PCM (Piers). Was all set to move it as suggested but when i got in today my starter button lit up green and car started perfectly. I can only assume that as suggested there was something blocking my signal, been out come back and all ok. Thank you for your prompt responses and help with my issue.

No problem Sharon, glad it's sorted.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

hi Sharon, i've noticed that if my fob is near my Iphone, the signal blocks and does not open the car! strange but true, so maybe keep the fob separate from your phone. i sometimes get this.  i usually do the following:

get yourself some spare lithium batteries, and try to keep a note of when you last changed them. keep the batteries in the car

if the batteries are fine and you get that message. simply hold the fob to the start button and start the car as normal.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links