Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes & Disks

Hi All

It's been a while since I posted, so hope all are keeping well :)

I need (and want) to get my disks and pads replaced on my ISF (now at 70k miles and still in great shape), I know there is the dealer option, but I'm keen to see what else is out there, and I am not a 'do it on your driveway at the weekend' mechanic, especially for an ISF.  Any thoughts/comments would be welcome.  I am in the SW London area.

Regards

Grey One

I posted this topic below a few weeks ago. The discs were £114 a pair at the time but may have increased again now. Pads front and rear are also on the site.

I'll be taking it all to a local garage for fitting soon enough, cant recommend any for your location, it'll only be a couple of hours labour. All in all a lot cheaper than taking it to Lexus and its OEM brembo parts. Discs and pads at Lexus are extortionate for the same parts.

Thanks - I think it's that last link in the chain I'm struggling with (who does the fitting), I used to go to ATS, but their service the last few visits has been awful, other local spanner monkey shops don't inspire confidence.  I know the ISF isn't a Ferrari, but I want someone I know is competent to do any work on my car, preferably someone who knows Lexi well....

I here what you are saying about not doing it yourself at home but this procedure is one of the first that most DIYer’s tackle ( after an oil change!) and it is ‘Bread & Butter’ stuff for any establishment calling themselves a ‘Garage’ you should try and find a garage by recommendation and see if they will fix parts supplied by you, some will ( to get work) and some won’t ( to make a bit on parts). Using a garage that is certified to carry out MOT’s might be better than one that doesn’t as they can be inspected at any time, but that is not to say a garage that doesn’t ( do MOT’s) is not going to do a good job!

58 minutes ago, Grey One said:

I know the ISF isn't a Ferrari,

Hi James. The brakes on the Lexus are no different to any other modern car be it a Ford or a Nissan. Any garage can change the discs, and pads without any "special" tools or knowledge. As already said it's a basic bread, and butter job. I would however stay away from the "chain" brake, tyre, exhaust companies, but rather go to garages that do all repair work.

John. 

1 hour ago, Grey One said:

I know the ISF isn't a Ferrari, but I want someone I know is competent to do any work on my car, preferably someone who knows Lexi well....

There's a member on this forum that has a list or recommended Lexus independent garages. I think his user name  is Royoftherovers.

I bought new OEM discs and pads this year from lexus parts direct and had them fitted by a local garage I trust, and saved the best part of £400 in the process with no issues.

4 hours ago, Grey One said:

Hi All

It's been a while since I posted, so hope all are keeping well 🙂

I need (and want) to get my disks and pads replaced on my ISF (now at 70k miles and still in great shape), I know there is the dealer option, but I'm keen to see what else is out there, and I am not a 'do it on your driveway at the weekend' mechanic, especially for an ISF.  Any thoughts/comments would be welcome.  I am in the SW London area.

Regards

Grey One

I can thoroughly recommend Abbey Motorsport in Oxted - the owner Scott is great. I'm also SW London and if they couldn't do the work while I waited, it's only a 15 min walk to the station if you need to leave the car.

They did everything outside main dealer services on my ISF until I sold it earlier this year. I supplied the pads + discs for front and rear and they fitted them.

I still lurk on here as I miss the ISF!

Hope that helps.

18 hours ago, ollie isf said:

I can thoroughly recommend Abbey Motorsport in Oxted - the owner Scott is great. I'm also SW London and if they couldn't do the work while I waited, it's only a 15 min walk to the station if you need to leave the car.

They did everything outside main dealer services on my ISF until I sold it earlier this year. I supplied the pads + discs for front and rear and they fitted them.

I still lurk on here as I miss the ISF!

Hope that helps.

Thanks appreciate the referral

11 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

If our mutual friend Covid wasn't such an pain in the butt, I would offer to do it for you. It is quite a straight forward job, where abouts in Surrey are you? 🙂

That's very kind, thanks, but I'll look for a garage for now.  Appreciate the offer 🙂