Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

HI

My LS430 for the past week has failed to start on the first turn - mostly it takes 2 turns of the ignition knob - on the first turn I hear a click 

This happens on the first start of the day

I suspect this is the typical starter motor contacts wearing out - does anybody know how long I have before it doesn't engage at all - that's if it gets to that point.

I know this is a very involved job with manifold off etc and also requires manifold gasket aswell - my dilemma is finding a time served mechanic who will do a decent job and not end up with dozen spare nuts and bolts afterwards.

Can anybody recommend a decent mechanic around MK postcode area?

Also is there anything else I should change whilst at it - I vaguely remember PCV valve on the LS430 which can also be troublesome at high mileages

thank you 

Can also be caused by a low Battery.
Mine now lives plugged into a Battery maintainer/charger.
The maintainer/charger is in the garage and I ran wires from there to where the car is parked so all I have to do is open the bonnet, plug or unplug the connector and close it.
Quick and easy for the few times the car is getting used at the moment.

Just to put a bit of flesh on the bones of what the others have said, if it was the Battery at fault it wouldn't be a single click but more like machine gun fire in its rapidity, commonly called solenoid chatter.

The Battery voltage is high enough to pull in the solenoid but when the contacts make and the starter motor attempts to turn, the voltage drops like a stone to the point where the solenoid drops out, whereupon voltage rises again, operating the solenoid and the whole sequence is repeated.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys

I only get one click on the first turn - then the car starts as normal - no sluggishness in the starter motor so that probably does mean the contacts.

However the car has been driven less recently and we have had a drop in temperature so I'm going to check the Battery.

Google tells me I must have between 12.4 and 12.6V

Another obvious thing is check the terminal clamps are tight.  When the starter went in my 400 some years ago it rapidly got to the stage where I wasn't sure it would turn at all so I'm guessing you need to act fairly quickly if Battery checks are ok.

• Like 1

Hi Phil

I know it has a key type Battery isolator fitted - I wonder if thats playing up

I just went out in it again after 5 hours standing and started fine

Also I was looking on Rockauto for starter motors and all of  them have an extra charge added which is refunded once the old unit is returned to them - do you know if they sell without that added charge as I wont be returning mine?

13 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Hi Phil

I know it has a key type battery isolator fitted - I wonder if thats playing up

I just went out in it again after 5 hours standing and started fine

Also I was looking on Rockauto for starter motors and all of  them have an extra charge added which is refunded once the old unit is returned to them - do you know if they sell without that added charge as I wont be returning mine?

I think if they ask for a charge (like they do with steering racks etc) it's unlikely they'll sell one without.  The problem with the starter going, assuming it is, there are days when it's fine and days when it isn't.  Personally I'd go for having the contacts replaced if the seller is still around, that's what I did.  I had times when I would have to try several times before it engaged, other times it was ok. From what you've said, and if the Battery is good, I'd be surprised if it was anything other than the starter.

• 1 month later...

Just to update you guys on this - the car has stopped doing this - why? - I don't know? - it starts perfectly even in 0 degrees - so hopefully was a glitch.

The only quote I got locally was £650 for a replacement denso motor - ouch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

Just to update you guys on this - the car has stopped doing this - why? - I don't know? - it starts perfectly even in 0 degrees - so hopefully was a glitch.

The only quote I got locally was £650 for a replacement denso motor - ouch!

Having your own refurbished should be much cheaper than that if it starts playing up again.

• Like 1