Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

12v Battery replacement

Try Lexus Parts Direct. They're generally very helpful if you phone or email to confirm the Battery for your car. The following might be what you need, currently £112 for an IS300h.

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-is/lexus-is-phase-iii-2013-present/lexus-is-3-engine-service-kits/lexus-is-phase-3-12v-starter-battery/

They also have a Black Friday offer of free delivery at the moment.

Your profile says you have an RCF. The Battery for this is £79. Part number 28800-YZZZH

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluethunder said:

@Thackeray Thanks for the link! I've just ordered the battery for the IS300h. £118 inc delivery 🙂

I also have an RCF and surprised it's only £79! 

Not the cheapest it's been, but supply is probably restricted due to Coronavirus.

I purchased from these guys back in mid June for £99.

There's a free delivery code if spending over £100 knocking about on the forums somewhere too.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

This has probably been asked before (I need one as well) I was under the impression that this was a Lithium battery, but I am told it's a Lead-Acid.

Anyone ?

Not a Lithium Battery, even the hybrid Battery isn't Lithium. It is a lead-acid AGM Battery.

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Why were you under that Impression Alan ?

I'm not sure really, I thought I heard it mentioned on here. 

I have also been told the following, do you agree ?   .......  The most important thing is that you get a sealed one designed to provide ONLY low current and ONLY low charge. If you put a normal one in there it'll work fine for a couple of years then be sulphated beyond redemption thanks to not drawing any decent current ever

10 hours ago, Hadrian said:

I'm not sure really, I thought I heard it mentioned on here. 

I have also been told the following, do you agree ?   .......  The most important thing is that you get a sealed one designed to provide ONLY low current and ONLY low charge. If you put a normal one in there it'll work fine for a couple of years then be sulphated beyond redemption thanks to not drawing any decent current ever

Alan, I am not knowledgeable enough nor qualified enough to be able to answer that question.

Herbie will be though and I`m sure he will if he reads this exchange.

11 hours ago, Hadrian said:

Sulfation occurs because a Battery isn't fully charged, not because it hasn't supplied high current. It occurs more commonly on hybrids because the 12v Battery is of low capacity (because a high capacity Battery isn't required to start the engine) and therefore discharges more quickly when the vehicle is left unattended for several days/weeks. If you deep cycle the Battery it starts to sulfate, which lowers its capacity, meaning it is easier to deep discharge the next time it is left so you end up in a vicious circle ending in a Battery that cannot hold a charge and needs replacing.

AGM batteries are able to be discharged to a higher amount before sulfation occurs so it helps but they are not immune. The main reason an AGM Battery is fitted to the IS300h is because the Battery is within the boot which isn't sealed from the cabin. In an accident the Battery could be compromised and acid able to come into contact with passengers. AGM batteries hold the acid within a fibreglass mesh and doesn't leak.

On my old RX400h I replaced the original Battery when it was nine years old. The 400h uses a conventional flooded Battery so they won't necessarily die after a couple of years - it is dependant on how it is used/abused.

• Like 1

Thank you Colin for that reply.

Another mistake I made was (thinking wrongly it was a Lithium battery), was charging it in Lithium mode rather than Lead-Acid.

Which LED me to think it was fully charged, when it probably wasn't.

Alan

• 1 month later...

This is really useful, I'm due to order a new Battery from Lexuspartsdirect after getting my Battery tested. Halfords said that it was ready to be changed but they wouldn't do it because when you disconnect it, it may reset a lot of the functions in a hybrid and they'd recommend taking it to a dealer.

Is this true? Do I need to take any additional precautions if I change the Battery myself over and above taking off the negative first and reconnecting to the new Battery last?

Thanks!  

your talking about Halfords.... yes you will have to reset a few things

but nothing that you wouldn't have to reset in any other non hybrid car

radio stations ,clock and maybe the one touch windows thats all

so no need to worry

57 minutes ago, 200h said:

your talking about halfords.... yes you will have to reset a few things

but nothing that you wouldn't have to reset in any other non hybrid car

radio stations ,clock and maybe the one touch windows thats all

so no need to worry

Great - thanks for confirming!

20 hours ago, KP2021 said:

Do I need to take any additional precautions if I change the battery myself

If you don't want any interruption in your 12v supply when changing the Battery there is a way of doing it.  You connect jump leads from your new Battery to the Battery terminals whilst they are still connected to your old Battery.  When you then disconnect your old Battery you will still be getting a feed but from the new Battery.  Just go ahead and connect the terminals as usual then disconnect the jump leads.  Had to do this many years ago when you needed a radio code (which I didn't have) after an interruption in supply.

4 hours ago, Chap3 said:

I'm charging my battery with a noco genius 5 charger, on mode AGM 12V. 

In the driving position there's a ticking noise (like a double quick clock) is this normal? 

Battery was completely flat. 

Regards 

Rob 

That sounds like a relay chattering but others with greater knowledge will confirm why that might be.  I'll connect my NOCO charger tomorrow and have a listen, I've not sat inside whilst it's connected in the past

11 hours ago, Chap3 said:

In the driving position there's a ticking noise (like a double quick clock) is this normal? 

Battery was completely flat. 

Not normal, but not sure what it may be.

If the Battery is completely flat then you are probably better off to disconnect it from the vehicle and charge it. With it left in place the voltage will rise to a point where the vehicle electronics come alive at different times and may intermittently switch off/on until the charge is high enough to sustain the electronics fully on.

I'd charge it fully, then run a recondition cycle and once that is done connect it back to the vehicle.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Not normal, but not sure what it may be.

If the battery is completely flat then you are probably better off to disconnect it from the vehicle and charge it. With it left in place the voltage will rise to a point where the vehicle electronics come alive at different times and may intermittently switch off/on until the charge is high enough to sustain the electronics fully on.

I'd charge it fully, then run a recondition cycle and once that is done connect it back to the vehicle.

I'll disconnect the Battery and give it a go. Thanks 

7 hours ago, Brechin Slate said:

That sounds like a relay chattering but others with greater knowledge will confirm why that might be.  I'll connect my NOCO charger tomorrow and have a listen, I've not sat inside whilst it's connected in the past

Thank you 👍