Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GSF vs RCF

Hi All,

I have trawled quite a long way back, and not found a GSF vs RCF post. 

I had a GS 250 for 3 years, sold 2 years ago.

I currently have a Porsche 911 (996 C4S) and an Audi A8 Hybrid (2013).

I am thinking of selling both and combining their roles, of sports car, and long distance tourer (about 8,000mls per annum).

I am interested on the groups view on the merits of both, and their suitability for the above.

Regards

Paul

Paul

lets get this out the way, and I prepare to be shot down in flames. They’re not sports cars.

Your 911 is. And probably the pick of the 996’s. 

What the GSF and RCF are quick, comfortable, highly effective, reliable, well built GT’s. Both are more than capable of eating up the miles with ease.

Ive got a GSF and you can really hustle it down the lanes, the TVD making it feel like a much smaller car. But you never loose the fact that it’s a big old bus.

pre covid every 6 weeks or so I’d travel to Inverness, if the weather was OK I’d take the GSF. Never a problem covers the ground quickly and effortlessly, seats are brilliant, extremely supportive and comfortable, drive is easy and not tiring, and good to thrash down the A68 once over the border on the way back....

I’ve had 911’s for 20 or so years, as daily and now a fair weather car, but still love the GSF, very different, they are a special thing.

you really need to try one or the other, and not just round the block either. Take it for an extended run as you’ll not get it straight away, they take a while to get under your skin. 
your problem may be finding a gsf. RCFs are a little more common.

I’ve owned an RC-F, Boxster and a 996 C4.

One thing that Porsche always seem to get right is the steering. F cars can’t compete!

Also factor in that both the GSF and RCF are heavy cars circa 1800kgs. What’s a 996..... 1300kg? Add the fact that the F 5.0 litre engine lacks torque low down, and you’re dealing with cars far removed from the character of a 996.

As for RCF v GSF, the motoring press rave about the GSF and slag the RCF. I’ve driven several GSFs, and honestly, for the average driver, you’d wonder how on earth the motoring press can separate the two. Of course, the RCF was always pitched against the M4, and it was never going to win that battle.

Both great cars, but make the choice on your needs rather than what the press tell you.

One last point. RMS, IMS etc - you can forget all that crap in the world of Lexus 👍

Limited experience with RCF other than a test drive, but I can't imagine it being enourmously different than the GSF as a long term car.

You'll probably have more choice when it comes to RCF's as GSF's are rarer, having said that, there was a spree of them being up for sale recently.

The GSF for me feels much smaller when on the road than I could ever imagine, but it is long when it comes to your average parking space. I would also agree they aren't 'true' sports cars, more crusiers with a bit of zip when you need it. Personally I don't need anymore power than it offers. I didn't like the look of the RCF compared to the GSF and 4 doors was more appealing to the Mrs regarding future kids. I find the GSF effortlessly comfortable and having lived in Scotland for 5ish years, we visit friends and the 580 mile trip goes past in no time. I did put an exhaust on mine as I felt you had to really thrash it to get some of the V8 noise. I daily drove mine for 2 years, before purchasing a run around to commute to work as the GSF is the best car I've owned, it ticks all the right boxes so it will hopefully be with me for its life time, so needed to cut the miles that were racking up.

I am a Lexus enthusiast (3 on the drive at home) and had 6 or more in the family history, so purchasing either the RC or GS would be pleasing to hear 😛

As you've already owned a 4th Generation GS, maybe the RCF will give you more of that 'new car' feel. However, the interior of the RCF might appear a bit basic to you in comparison to the 4th Generation GS.

I don't think either is suitable as a long distance cruiser unless you live somewhere with really nice roads. The fuel tanks are a bit small too at 65 litres.

4 minutes ago, Exdee said:

As you've already owned a 4th Generation GS, maybe the RCF will give you more of that 'new car' feel. However, the interior of the RCF might appear a bit basic to you in comparison to the 4th Generation GS.

I don't think either is suitable as a long distance cruiser unless you live somewhere with really nice roads. The fuel tanks are a bit small too at 65 litres.

I regularly do 614mile one way trips in my RC F with 1 fuel stop, and feel as fresh as the minute i got into it so that’s the comfort issue covered, fuel mpg has varied from 29.6 to 34.7 mostly motorway and dual carriageways for the trips from east Surrey up to north east Scotland, ( i work out of NE Scotland but live south of London) and i actually look forward to the drive to or from work

The OP’s heading is GSF v RCF.

Isn’t the driving experience very similar.?

If so the choice is down to whether the RCF has enough accommodation to suit his needs,and since he would be replacing a substantially sized car 

in the A8,this says he needs the extra accommodation of the GSF.

I think he will have already worked out that neither is an out and out sports car like the 911.

I think i agree with the above... if you have an A8, it appears that you will need usable space and second row seats? Gsf?

if you really are looking at 2 seater sporty looking car and can cruise comfortably... the lc500?

22 hours ago, mr2lad said:

I regularly do 614mile one way trips in my RC F with 1 fuel stop, and feel as fresh as the minute i got into it so that’s the comfort issue covered, fuel mpg has varied from 29.6 to 34.7 mostly motorway and dual carriageways for the trips from east Surrey up to north east Scotland, ( i work out of NE Scotland but live south of London) and i actually look forward to the drive to or from work

This is a bit of a subjective area but good to know you are enjoying the F! :thumbup1:

14 hours ago, Northern isf said:

Audi s8 2015 onwards bargain now, I've driven one a few times great cruiser extremely comfortable and spacious with plenty of power.

Good shout 

Cylinder deactivation when cruising and 8 speed transmission.

Only driven it once and thoroughly enjoyed.

14 hours ago, paulGS250 said:

Wow!

Thanks for all your replies. Plenty to think about, and very useful range of opinions.

Regards

Paul

Good luck!