Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2018 NX Review

What do NX owners think about the reviewers comment about the bleeping noise from the tailgate?

Also, who has an NX in Mesa Red and who has one in Sonic Titanium? I like the idea of the Sonic Titanium (Silver) as silver cars don't seem to show the dirt until they get really really dirty. But I also like the colour of the Mesa Red which looks lovely when clean and polished but I think I'm right in saying that red paint on cars fades over time and shows scratches and stone chips more than a silver one. What has/have your experience(s) been? Thanks

19 minutes ago, JeffL said:

What do NX owners think about the reviewers comment about the bleeping noise from the tailgate?

Also, who has an NX in Mesa Red and who has one in Sonic Titanium? I like the idea of the Sonic Titanium (Silver) as silver cars don't seem to show the dirt until they get really really dirty. But I also like the colour of the Mesa Red which looks lovely when clean and polished but I think I'm right in saying that red paint on cars fades over time and shows scratches and stone chips more than a silver one. What has/have your experience(s) been? Thanks

Can’t comment on the tailgate bleeping as mine is manual rather than powered.

Mesa Red - the colour of my NX - looks fantastic when properly clean, especially in direct sunlight when it sparkles and looks really special. Mine has chips on the lower bumper area, but not as bad as the Mercury Grey I had previously. I’d say having owned lots of cars over the years, the chipping is less severe than on VAG products, but not as durable as the Hondas I have owned. Modern metallic finishes shouldn’t fade. 

No doubt in my mind that silver doesn’t show dirt as readily as red, nor will it show swirl marks or scratches as badly. For the ultimate durability in this regard I’d always recommend white.

I’m a committed detailer, so am happy to put the extra effort in to keeping the Mesa Red clean and protected and I had the car professionally prepared and ceramic coated when new. If I wasn’t so committed I’d probably have gone for white or silver over ANY darker colour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can turn the bleeping noise down on the tailgate, I think it's in the menus on the main screen.

My NX (ex-demo) is Sonic Titanium and it suits the car. It's a sort of browny silver and you can see a slight colour change in different lights but I don't think it's worth the extra cost against the other metallic shades. Silver is not my favourite colour though, I just see it as shiny grey.

My last GS was Mesa Red and that was an awesome colour, particularly when clean and in bright sunlight. It literally glows.

Given the choice I'd have gone with Azure Blue as a change from the red, if it was available on my chosen trim level.

• Thanks 1

^^ My 2018 NX is a Sonic Titanium and I too believe that it suits the car. I would definitely be amenable to getting that colour again if/when I change the car. I agree with @spacenase in that I don't see it as silver  - more a bright grey.

It's pretty good at hiding the dirt and only shows it when it's really dirty. As far as stone chips are concerned, the car has one or two minor ones on the front bumper but none so far on the bonnet (famous last words!) - and the majority of my, albeit relatively low mileage, is motorway driving. 

The only slight change I have made with regards to colour is to swap the (sonic titanium) wing mirror covers for the black ones (F Sport type) as I feel that these contrast well with the rest of the car.

• Thanks 1