Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RX 400h advice

Hello Lexus lovelies. 

It's me again !! I have ditched RX 300 and am looking to buy the 400h. Year around 2008-2009. I have tried to find the complete specs for the car but to no avail. Which is the best model ? I believe there is the SE and SE-L what is the difference between the 2 ?. What should I be looking out for if I want the AWD, and what sort of money should I be prepared to pay?

Any advice would be helpful I really need it within the next 2 weeks.

Sas

Please be aware, Sarah, that the 400h is NOT a four wheel drive like the RX 300. It will not get you through snow by all accounts......... however if you change the tyres for seasonal ones you should be OK. Others will advise but I think Michelin Cross Climate tyres have been mentioned. Fortunately we get very little snow down here in the deep south!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you expecting to trade in your present ride or do you have a buyer for it?  Having only a couple of weeks to find one is a severe constraint.  A good buy sometimes requires travelling and this might be a problem with Government restrictions and these cars are not to be found so easily as other marques.  In any event you really need somebody with you who ideally knows the model or at least has a good understanding of cars, maybe someone from the AA for example in the likely situation that it would be a non official Lexus dealer.  Making sure the car is good underneath as well as above, and that it has good service record and particularly with the 400 model that the Cam Belt has been changed as if this fails it will cause very expensive damage, should be done.  Also find out what warranty is being offered.  Try to negotiate good deal by haggling. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, hprice1099 said:

Thanks but the mileage is too high. My budget is £7.5k looking around the 08 year. Mileage less than 100k . Not looking to travel more than 80 miles. 

Always a risk with second hand cars but mine was second hand and it’s 19 years old. 

19 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Please be aware, Sarah, that the 400h is NOT a four wheel drive like the RX 300. It will not get you through snow by all accounts......... however if you change the tyres for seasonal ones you should be OK. Others will advise but I think Michelin Cross Climate tyres have been mentioned. Fortunately we get very little snow down here in the deep south!

But it is an AWD, no?  At least mine is, and works well in the mud of southern France.

Just now, Sasbambam said:

Thanks but the mileage is too high. My budget is £7.5k looking around the 08 year. Mileage less than 100k . Not looking to travel more than 80 miles. 

Always a risk with second hand cars but mine was second hand and it’s 19 years old. 

How about this one? It's a 1 owner, SE-L spec (unfortunately I too don't know the spec differences between the SE and SE-L) that is within your budget and mileage requirements. MoT test history looks quite good too.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011085915823

5 hours ago, Sasbambam said:

Probably got more chance of finding a purple unicorn :laughing:

Seriously though, I do wish you well in your search but you may be waiting a while for something that fits your very narrow window.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superduner said:

But it is an AWD, no?  At least mine is, and works well in the mud of southern France.

The rear wheels are driven by the electric motor so when the hybrid system decides it needs to be all wheels driven, then it will activate.

5 hours ago, mikey2001 said:

How about this one? It's a 1 owner, SE-L spec (unfortunately I too don't know the spec differences between the SE and SE-L) that is within your budget and mileage requirements. MoT test history looks quite good too.

That one is probably not much further than 80 miles away, why not give the seller a ring?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikey2001 said:

That is an excellent colour combination with a full Lexus service history and low mileage at a very good price. Must be worth a look?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Superduner said:

I have not driven mine off-road but from what I have read it is not a conventional 4WD. It is not meant to be very good in snow but I stand to be corrected. I would not wish to risk mine across muddy field but would be interested to see a video!

@Sasbambam I agree with the others, https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011085915823?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks is probably the best you'll find given your timeframe and other constraints.

By the way, the SE-L is the top of the range but without the hassle of air suspension - none of the RX400h's have air.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Herbie said:

@Sasbambam I agree with the others, https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011085915823?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks is probably the best you'll find given your timeframe and other constraints.

By the way, the SE-L is the top of the range but without the hassle of air suspension - none of the RX400h's have air.

it has a very good MOT history, bur exercise Due Diligence.

• Like 2

Hi Sarah

I don't know if you got fixed up with a RX400h but I may be selling mine which you might be interested in.

A few details - It's a 2008 SE- L with 92k miles on it. I've owned it for the last seven years and I bought it from the family who bought it new from Lexus Birmingham.  it has just been serviced and Mot'd about two weeks ago at HW Moon Toyota main dealer in Wigan who have, in fact, serviced it every year since I got it except for 2018 when it had the cambelt service at Lexus Bolton. The only advisory was a small exhaust leak which I have now had fixed with a new section of pipe.

Everything works, tyres are good and there is no damage to the car except for one or two minor stone chips and car park dings.

I am thinking of changing to a NX which I was going to leave until next year but I have inherited my Dads Toyota hybrid as he is 89 now and is too fragile to drive so I can afford to sell the RX and won't be stuck for a vehicle to use 'til I get the NX.

Message me if you want to have a look - I live near Wigan

Paul

DSCF0129.thumb.JPG.9600ec2fb386d7002c95287eded7dae0.JPG 

DSCF0132.thumb.JPG.e29c21e1d21ddb76bc34f87af12332d8.JPG

• Like 3

On 11/28/2020 at 6:05 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

That is an excellent colour combination with a full Lexus service history and low mileage at a very good price. Must be worth a look?

It is a nice motor but too far i'm afraid.

Thanks for the link

4 hours ago, vrodman said:

Hi Sarah

I don't know if you got fixed up with a RX400h but I may be selling mine which you might be interested in.

A few details - It's a 2008 SE- L with 92k miles on it. I've owned it for the last seven years and I bought it from the family who bought it new from Lexus Birmingham.  it has just been serviced and Mot'd about two weeks ago at HW Moon Toyota main dealer in Wigan who have, in fact, serviced it every year since I got it except for 2018 when it had the cambelt service at Lexus Bolton. The only advisory was a small exhaust leak which I have now had fixed with a new section of pipe.

Everything works, tyres are good and there is no damage to the car except for one or two minor stone chips and car park dings.

I am thinking of changing to a NX which I was going to leave until next year but I have inherited my Dads Toyota hybrid as he is 89 now and is too fragile to drive so I can afford to sell the RX and won't be stuck for a vehicle to use 'til I get the NX.

Message me if you want to have a look - I live near Wigan

Paul

DSCF0129.thumb.JPG.9600ec2fb386d7002c95287eded7dae0.JPG 

DSCF0132.thumb.JPG.e29c21e1d21ddb76bc34f87af12332d8.JPG

Hi Paul,

Ive not found one yet, yours looks nice and your round the corner i live near Parbold. What are you looking for price wise i don't want to waste your time. 

On 11/28/2020 at 3:53 PM, Herbie said:

The rear wheels are driven by the electric motor so when the hybrid system decides it needs to be all wheels driven, then it will activate.

Useful information, thanks 

2 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

On your doorstep in relative terms Sarah and a way of avoiding the middleman and his cut to the mutual advantage of both member iif price can be agreed.

Would be nice to know outcome.

It's quite endearing being given information on this site, I'm so glad I joined. I am so worried about getting swindled but I feel so much safer with all the snippets of information I have received from the Lexus club. Thank you all for your comments good or bad they are very helpful. Hopefully Paul will come back to me and i can go and have a look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sasbambam said:

Hi Paul,

Ive not found one yet, yours looks nice and your round the corner i live near Parbold. What are you looking for price wise i don't want to waste your time. 

Hi Paul,

How would tomorrow be ? Could you pm on sasbambam@gmail.com

• Like 1