Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I’m tempted....very tempted

Been looking at this LS600h LWB model, reasonable mileage and FLSH.

Looks stunning inside and out and need to measure the garage first

but should I make it my retirement treat?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS600h-L-LWB-RSR/114535475875?hash=item1aaad8aaa3:g:5YEAAOSwV0VfutxZ

22 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Linked to it yesterday. Very nice. Again with the garage dilemma.

Sorry I didn’t see the post first, my present Celsior just fits, the garage was extended previously to accommodate a Mercedes S500.

Just looked at some insurance quotes, bearing in mind my maximum NCB expired years ago due to “Classic” insurance so I’m back at zero. Cheapest came in just below £400.00 with an £850.00 excess !

Mine is in the paint shop Monday for the roof respray and wheel refurb so I’ll probably want to keep it then.

52 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Been looking at this LS600h LWB model, reasonable mileage and FLSH.

Looks stunning inside and out and need to measure the garage first

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS600h-L-LWB-RSR/114535475875?hash=item1aaad8aaa3:g:5YEAAOSwV0VfutxZ

Fill your garage with junk and park in front like the rest of us! 

1 minute ago, jonthetourist said:

It used to be full of TV sets when we had the big and bulky tube models but those days have long gone, just junk down both sides now with a gap where the driver’s door opens. Just need to pop out and check the thermostat in there...I don’t want the Queen to get cold or damp 😀

• Haha 2

Just now, royoftherovers said:

If you can check out the Reg No. and exercise Due Diligence, the question you should be asking Steve is......Why not ?

The seller has blanked out the reg number John, that MOT history check is usually my next keyboard entry.

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

methinks you could do that BUT don't forget you'll need plenty of £££££ for the expected, unexpected nuances that are bound to occur that will cost you lots 

Not for the faint-hearted just so long as you have that " sinking fund " for when your heart sinks

I've too been considering a Ls600 but simply decided against it as my trusted dear old faithful Ls400 should go on for a long while yet and give me plenty of comfort  etc for me old age !

Malc

On 11/27/2020 at 9:49 PM, Malc said:

methinks you could do that BUT don't forget you'll need plenty of £££££ for the expected, unexpected nuances that are bound to occur that will cost you lots 

Not for the faint-hearted just so long as you have that " sinking fund " for when your heart sinks

I have to agree with Malc, Steve. Provided you can accept a complete loss then go for it. As John says, life is a one-way ticket! But if you can't accept the worst, please don't hope for the best!

• Like 1

I would love to own one but like others have said, I'd be constantly concerned about what may go wrong with that vast amount of technology.  It's all a gamble really, on the other hand life is often about taking risks.  Hmm.  Maybe remind yourself that the LS400 is undoubtedly the most reliable car Lexus ever made, and in many respects still is!

• Like 1

Lovely and probably a joy to ride in the back of it ,but I can't and my missus won't so a waste straight off the bat.

The other points raised by members are all relevant and its a personal choice in the end, so not for me I have the best car ever made I do not wish to find that this one is not.

• Like 1

I can’t justify it so sticking with Old Faithful.

Going in on Monday for the glazed roof problem and the wheel refurbishment plus I am going to ask if he can also respray the boot lid which has a few scratches on it plus the paint has cracked on a previous bumper repair so hoping he will also sort that too hopefully FOC.

This along with my newly refurbished seats, less than 2000 miles a year, very cheap agreed value insurance, another clean MOT and the fact the car owes me absolutely nothing after 14 years means I’m sticking with it.

Thanks for all the input.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I can’t justify it so sticking with Old Faithful.

Going in on Monday for the glazed roof problem and the wheel refurbishment plus I am going to ask if he can also respray the boot lid which has a few scratches on it plus the paint has cracked on a previous bumper repair so hoping he will also sort that too hopefully FOC.

This along with my newly refurbished seats, less than 2000 miles a year, very cheap agreed value insurance, another clean MOT and the fact the car owes me absolutely nothing after 14 years means I’m sticking with it.

Thanks for all the input.

So, you weren`t really tempted at all old Pal, were you?

Guess you have just failed your test for entry into the Lexus Forum`s Register of  "Members who drive with the Gods"

Old JP Savage is on his own currently, I think.

I’ll tell you what tempted me initially John it was the pictures of the rear seating area with that entertainment console and fold out leg rests. Reality kicked in when I realised I would not be sat there but behind the wheel as I’ve had to furlough the chauffeur. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I’ll tell you what tempted me initially John it was the pictures of the rear seating area with that entertainment console and fold out leg rests. Reality kicked in when I realised I would not be sat there but behind the wheel as I’ve had to furlough the chauffeur. 😀

We have all been there matey. In my youth there were plenty of fast moving, smart looking, swinging chicks that I looked at the back seat of, but in the end discretion was the better part of........

Have a nice day, sleep well and for goodness sake stop looking !

• Haha 1

Steve, you have just saved yourself the best part of £20k with likely repairs that will keep you and her going for a few years

I agree about the back seat, for all sorts of reasons, some of them purely selfish in that I won't ever sit in the back and from the past 20 years experience of my Ls400s only about half a dozen people ever have in mine and the longest was two pax to Germany and back in my Mk1 about 15 years ago .........  beautiful ride for them then ..........  and for whomsoever might again

Your decision mirrors mine, pop a few more bob into the Ls400 and enjoy the feeling of tiny future repair costs attached with supreme comfort and reliability AND if the worst happens, then buy yourself a replacement Ls400 ( maybe )

OR buy a Ls600 from a Main Dealer with FLSH AND that important rolling WARRANTY and like JP Savage rest content  :wink3:

now then, where's that advert for that 1965 Bentley S3  ?:unsure:

Malc

• Like 1

I say buy it. Completely different car to the LS460. I'd have bought it myself if I didn't have mine. Good colour as well, Main question has the suspension been done. Missus loves the ottoman back seat and its been a long time since thats happened😆  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/27/2020 at 6:57 PM, jonthetourist said:

I resent that implication! My garage has motorcycles in it,.... ok, and junk. 🤣
Quite a lot of junk actually, and too much of it is not motorcycle or car junk.
Time for a cleanout I think.
I don't feel guilty about not parking the LS in the garage, as it wouldn't fit.
This pic is about 10 years ago, it's much worse now.
boomers_garage.jpg

Well it’s gone in today, having the boot lid and bumper done too so 1k for the whole job.

Also bought some new tyres, they are all around 3-4mm but thought may as well replace them as the old ones are coming off for the refurbishment. All Pirelli P Zero 245/40/18s on the fronts and 245/45/18s on the rears ( trying to close the wheel arch gap at the rear).

Never spent so much in one go but given the same models are now fetching over 10k imported and registered I think well worth it plus I’ve saved 10 times that on cancelled holidays this year!

5 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Well it’s gone in today, having the boot lid and bumper done too so 1k for the whole job.

Also bought some new tyres, they are all around 3-4mm but thought may as well replace them as the old ones are coming off for the refurbishment. All Pirelli P Zero 245/40/18s on the fronts and 245/45/18s on the rears ( trying to close the wheel arch gap at the rear).

Never spent so much in one go but given the same models are now fetching over 10k imported and registered I think well worth it plus I’ve saved 10 times that on cancelled holidays this year!

Are those low profiles standard fittings Steve on such a big car ?

Did you get your money back on each of the 10 cancellations ?