Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Annual Servicing

'Morning chaps, Hope you're all well.

My car is going in for a 'Full Service' tomorrow and I always feel a little apprehensive about it.

My car was first registered in November 2014 (64 plate) and as of today it has 33250 miles on the clock.  I always tend to wonder, because of the low mileage, if the dealer actually does what is listed in the service manual as there is probably little evidence of wear.  An instance would be, the manual says that the Rear Differential Oil should be changed, how would I know that this has been done?  It might get a tick on the worksheet but..........I suppose it's down to how much do I trust the dealer.

Another important point, and bearing in mind that I have a service plan in place, is that the spark plugs are normally replaced at 60k miles, now I know that this is a fairly expensive part of the service schedule and this cost would have been included in my payment if the 5th or 6th service fell due in the plan period (which is approximately when 60k miles would usually be reached) but, with my car only having done 33K they almost certainly won't get done and, it is probably unlikely that the car will have reached the 60K mark by the time the next 'Full Service' falls due in 2022.

Any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Do it yourself is the only safe option to know if job has been completed. If you ask for return of bits how do you know they came from your car. There are lots of good car service garages, try and get references. Most garage will do a good job, but the few spoil it.

But ask to see the bits and possible photos of work this my indicate that you are not a walkover.

good luck

Hi I'm afraid I have to agree with Mike ;I am fortunate that as an old school engineer I have been servicing my own and family members cars for longer than I care to remember ,but ,if you are not in this position my advice would be to take a 2014 car to an independent garage where the owner is supervising ,you will get paperwork you can produce when you sell the vehicle and my small experience with main dealer fitters with Technician on their overalls is not good .Case in point ,the first Lexus I bought years ago was an 1 owner 200 Sportcross 7 years old 35000 miles full Lexus service every year. It was not immaculate ,bit tatty round the edges but a good buy passed on to a local garage by the main dealer as he did not put it in his stock ,so for a good deal less than main dealer stock I bought this car all the preparation that was done was it had a bucket of water thrown over it prior to sale . It ran a bit roughly on the 200+ mile journey home but no worries .When I serviced it became obvious services had not been carried out to my satisfaction ,the main problem was I believe the air cleaner had never been touched I filled an Asda plastic bag with debris and junk from the filter and trunking ,the pollen filter wasn't much better.I contacted the Lexus dealer to check the book with stamps was genuine and matched their records I was told it was and had it pointed out to me I did not know what I was doing -if I did I would know the service interval to change the filter is 40000 miles all this in a car which takes 35 seconds to remove and check the air filter Forgive the long post   Stay safe

Dave

• Like 1

Hi we have a similar car to yours. Ours is a Ct200h. We have a service plan with the dealership and it’s to with age and distance not just mileage. The dealership always provides us with a checklist and our car did 28k and it’s a 14 plate. They changed the spark plugs and other items. They also did a engine flush as well free of cost. If you’re a pay as you go customer I recommend buying a service plan and 2 for 1 warranty as the mots are free and you get personal AA cover. I hope this helps. We just renewed our service plan for a 4 year plan as it was much cheaper compared to pay as you go. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links