Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advanced Driving Course

Mincey

Morning Chums, yesterday my current wife subjected me to what can only be described as a tirade against my driving skills, or the apparent lack of (in her opinion). She was of course completely wrong but I was wondering about investigating the Advanced Driving course (https://www.iamroadsmart.com/), so if she did complain in future I could reply "I've done the Advanced Driving Course, so nuuuur". Has anyone else here done the course, and if so, what are your thoughts? 

I should add that I was awarded "this week's Star Baker" status on a driving day at Thruxton in 2018....

image.thumb.png.5a6ccb423c110246786b2a4657beab35.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I did it in 1989 and then completed a course as an "observer" in my local group which I did for a few years. I can highly recommend it as it will improve anyone's skills. it has changed in the intervening years but still very good. When my employer made all it's drivers take a driving assessment the assessor offered me a job in his driving school but I turned him down.

Paul

• Like 2

I took my advanced test in 2003 after thinking about it for a long time. So glad I did, it makes you "think" about driving  in a different light. It also makes you appreciate how generally poor the overall standard of driving is.

I went out with a local observer a few times before my test which was a great help. All I paid for was the test but things might be different now.thing

Go for it, you wont regret it (but your wife might 😁)

Les

• Like 2

Buy yourself a copy of 'Roadcraft' a very good ready on advanced driving techniques. 

I was very fortunate in my career to have been the recipient of numerous  driving courses starting with a 6 week long 'standard' course at the now defunct No6 Regional Police Driving School in Wiltshire. Once you have learnt to system drive it remains with you throughout your life. Advanced observation and road positioning is the key although double declutching is no longer required 😂😂

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Buy yourself a copy of 'Roadcraft' a very good ready on advanced driving techniques. 

I was very fortunate in my career to have been the recipient of numerous  driving courses starting with a 6 week long 'standard' course at the now defunct No6 Regional Police Driving School in Wiltshire. Once you have learnt to system drive it remains with you throughout your life. Advanced observation and road positioning is the key although double declutching is no longer required 😂😂

I still double declutch in my NX. Every time I have to scrape my face off the windscreen though 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I did the IAM test about 20 years ago and then was an observer for a few years. I then did the ROSPA test which is like the IAM but you retake it every 3 years and are graded Bronze, Silver and Gold. My son passed his IAM test last year.

It helps with anticipation and fits well with a hybrid driving style. Worth doing.

In the mean time check out Roadcraft and the Reg Local YouTube videos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

I've seen several of Reg Local's videos and they are very good. He is the guy from Barryboys (God Rest its Soul) isn't he?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

^^ In about 2013 my employer paid for a group of us to complete a two day course run by two former police drivers. I can honestly say my driving changed forever after that course, which included classroom sessions, sessions where the instructors drove, and sessions where we drove and were assessed. Driving for 30 minutes on public roads while having to ‘commentate’ on everything I saw and why I did things was fascinating, but by the third time it became almost second nature. Something as obvious as really looking ahead was actually difficult at first. We all develop bad habits I guess.

Based on my experience I’d fully recommend some type of advanced course for everybody on a ten year cycle. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

I did the IAM test about 20 years ago and then was an observer for a few years. I then did the ROSPA test which is like the IAM but you retake it every 3 years and are graded Bronze, Silver and Gold. My son passed his IAM test last year.

It helps with anticipation and fits well with a hybrid driving style. Worth doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took ROSPA motorcycle test 2 years ago, I found it a very good experience and gives you more knowledge on road positioning and anticipation, I got Silver.

Now, before every bike season I read Roadcraft as a reminder, just so I a safer rider.

After I passed mine I was going to buy a few car lessons for my wife (car lessons) but arrival of a 2nd daughter didn't let that happen!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Road craft is a good book but there's nothing like actually seeing it in practice. If you can also get yourself on a skid pan, I'd reccomend that. We have advanced courses in our line of work but they aren't recognised, which is mildly frustrating.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:20 PM, olliesgrandad said:

I agree. A great book!

Just now, Mincey said:

As an update, I've downloaded Reg Local's "How Not To Crash" and "Advanced Performance Driving". The introduction to HNTC really smacks you in the chops.

Yes but has your missus seen an improvement? 😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, paulrnx said:

Yes but has your missus seen an improvement? 😀

She hasn't moaned again so far, which in my book is a very, very good thing....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just found my original police issue blue book.
I compared it to the civilian version and found there was an extra chapter on how to talk to the motorist when you have stopped them, also on dealing with pedestrians.
I notice also that I'd annotated in pencil road positiong in the diagrams as instructed in the classroom sessions.
I can still remember when leaving the driving schotin the mornings the instructor would drive and 'show off' by giving a commentary drive full in the knowledge that the same events would be found every day at that time.
Very old school and definitely pre- snowflake...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I just found my original police issue blue book.
I compared it to the civilian version and found there was an extra chapter on how to talk to the motorist when you have stopped them, also on dealing with pedestrians.

Was it "'ello, 'ello, 'ello, what's all this then?" or "Who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?"

• Like 1