Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking of buying a VW/Audi electric car?

Spacewagon52

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m just about to move into a new house, and it has a ‘One Pulse’ electric charging point at the front of the garage. I’m not looking to change my NX, but thought I’d investigate an electric option.

Having looked at the VW options - id3 and id4 - I was shocked at the cheap and nasty interiors. The salesman said they’d ‘deliberately’ used sustainable and easily recyclable materials which is why ‘…some customers may initially feel that perceived quality isn’t as good as previous models…’ and that they were keenly priced to make up for that. I left convinced of only one thing - I wouldn’t change my Lexus for one of those! I thought they were dreadful…

27 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I’m just about to move into a new house, and it has a ‘One Pulse’ electric charging point at the front of the garage. I’m not looking to change my NX, but thought I’d investigate an electric option.

Having looked at the VW options - id3 and id4 - I was shocked at the cheap and nasty interiors. The salesman said they’d ‘deliberately’ used sustainable and easily recyclable materials which is why ‘…some customers may initially feel that perceived quality isn’t as good as previous models…’ and that they were keenly priced to make up for that. I left convinced of only one thing - I wouldn’t change my Lexus for one of those! I thought they were dreadful…

I had thesame experience with an Audi Q4 Etron. Hard plastics everywhere and even questionnable fit and finish. Especially from Audi that has a stellar reputation for interior quality i found this incredible. That combined with a dull exterior and an inflated price compared to sister ID4 makes it is now off the list.

The salesman nonsense about sustainable recyclable materials is what it is, nonsense. Just cost cutting.

Thing is most people will not notice coming from other brands, but when you are used to Lexus buildquality it is something different isnt it?

I would look at a used I Pace First Edition. I have had two. They come with all the options, including air suspension… and they are nice inside… and very nice to drive...

I have bought an MB EQC, it is being delivered tomorrow. I have owned numerous electric cars, and think the EQC ticks all the boxes. Time will tell…! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKFNPpGg-Wk  

I am having this seat installed in the passenger side, so my wife can come out in it with me…

https://www.elap.co.uk/turny-evo/   The two videos helped me decide to order one…

1535911501_2ndIPace2.png

• Sad 1

Oh Kevin you really are one of a kind, buying cars faster than many of us can have breakfast!

As a true petrolhead which undoubtedly you are, what are your thoughts about BEV s compared to Old School Big Engined petrols? Is it an alternative ( not talking about range but the car itselfe, handling, performance feel emotion) ? or is it convenient or?

19 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Oh Kevin you really are one of a kind, buying cars faster than many of us can have breakfast!

As a true petrolhead which undoubtedly you are, what are your thoughts about BEV s compared to Old School Big Engined petrols? Is it an alternative ( not talking about range but the car itselfe, handling, performance feel emotion) ? or is it convenient or?

The EQC is outside now… Unfortunately, I now only drive a couple of times a week. I go for a short drive because it helps my mental health. My car changing habit is more frequent since my accident, probably because, as you say, I am a true petrolhead. I also am a full time carer for my wife, and we both spend a lot of time at home, or very close to home. 

I spend a lot of time on my iMac watching YouTube car reviews… And I have most of the car mags delivered…

I particularly like electric cars because of their convenience in being able to charge them at home, and their immediate torque. Whatever the 0-60 time is, it definitely feels quicker. The BMW i3S and the Honda E are quick to drive… I bought an 1886 EQC because the YouTube reviews are all very good. The YouTube reviews of the new MB Mbux infotainment system, are also very good…

I have also ordered a BMW iX3, which I am advised will be delivered in January. Autogefuhl’s YouTube review, influenced me to place an order for one. 

So next year I might have two quality electric SUV’s… and the WAV Caddy.

• Like 1

Was invited to the launch of the Kia EV6 at my local dealership last night. 

A very slick launch rather like the unveiling ceremonies from the likes of Rover and Ford that I remember from years past. 

Got to say that I was hugely impressed by the EV6. Its a much bigger car in the metal than it looks in pictures. It was a pre production model but build quality looked first class, fit and finish of the interior excellent and its styling certainly sets it apart from the competition. Have taken the option of a test drive next month. 

Lexus will need to get a comparable sized EV into the marketplace swiftly if they wish to compete. 

Price wise the AWD GT line S model (very well appointed) is c£52k - a level which I expect the 2022 Model year NX450h PHEV to be pitched at. 

Will report the findings of my test drive. 

• Like 2