Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spacesaver tyre specs..

Gearoidmuar

Standard Lexus fit ( it is only the CT and LS600h that are different).

114.3 PCD 5 stud, centre bore 60.1 and offset 50.

If you have the space it would probably be cheaper to find a standard secondhand alloy and tyre. Also bear in mind you will need the jacking kit and wheel nut brace.

• 2 months later...

I bought a GS450h space saver wheel on eBay for my ES.  It has the same 5 hole bolt arrangement and whether on the front or rear  hubs there is no conflict and plenty of space when it spins.  Moreover the ES wheel bolts  fit perfectly on the space saver wheel  holes as the tapered bolt faces fit the tapered faces of the steel rim.   I still retained the ES's original underfloor foam tool holder and just leave the space saver in the boot despite it's size.    

• 3 months later...
On 2/9/2021 at 4:22 PM, SH20 said:

I bought a GS450h space saver wheel on ebay for my ES.  It has the same 5 hole bolt arrangement and whether on the front or rear  hubs there is no conflict and plenty of space when it spins.  Moreover the ES wheel bolts  fit perfectly on the space saver wheel  holes as the tapered bolt faces fit the tapered faces of the steel rim.   I still retained the ES's original underfloor foam tool holder and just leave the space saver in the boot despite it's size.    

Tray storage came today 😁 this fits in top of the spare wheel

BF8E8253-6ED2-4771-B209-581898C0ED2B.jpeg

20711808-1822-452C-9C88-71637E910AB6.jpeg

would be good to see how your tools fit etc, although I'm guessing your tyre inflation kit will not be able to be accommodated.  You got there in the end. What a pity Lexus wouldn't offer a space saver to the UK yet the US get it standard as will some other destinations.   If the argument was all about weight saving for us Brits  and costs then I would argue the nett cost difference between the compressor, tyre inflation goo, the thicker foam tool tray is only marginally smaller than the a tyre, wheel rim and the thinner foam tool tray.   At least a cost option for a space saver would have been nice to consider.    

My ES300h F Sport is fitted with 19" wheels ... Is there a specific space save size and spec I should be looking for?

19" space savers are hard to find, I'm assuming an 18" would fit and clear the brakes, but it's a pricey gamble.

One of the the UK supplier said this was suitable 135/80R18 UNIROYAL TYRE, as used in the RC300h.

Any help or links much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Gramate said:

My ES300h F Sport is fitted with 19" wheels ... Is there a specific space save size and spec I should be looking for?

No, all the ESs sold in the UK have the same brakes so if you find a space saver that fits an ES it will fit models with 17, 18 or 19" wheels.

Every supplier of space saver wheels in the UK I've contacted have said there is nothing currently available for the ES300h, which I'm finding very hard to accept.

10 minutes ago, Gramate said:

Every supplier of space saver wheels in the UK I've contacted have said there is nothing currently available for the ES300h, which I'm finding very hard to accept.

No doubt because the car isn't sold with one so they have no spec for what is required.

The official space saver has a part code 4261B-33010, but only seems to be used in the US and Cyprus.

I'm sure other models (such as the RC one) will fit, but you really want to try before you buy.

Thanks everyone, one last question, does it matter I have 19" wheels or as I think someone already posted that the ES has a common disc and brake size for the complete range.

If I get a spare used for a GS450h or an IS or RC should I be buying the 17, 18 or 19" wheel.

Makes no difference. It needs to be the correct wheel fitment (to fit your hub and get over your calipers) and the correct rolling radius of the overall tyre size. 

Also, it’s an emergency spare so should be on for as little time as possible, all are limited to 50kph usually and are really poor handling so you’ll want it off asap. 

I understand the purpose of a space saver for emergencies only, but I'm not sure anyone understood my original question, should it be a 17, 18 or 19" size to clear the calipers.

The simplest solution is to go in the middle and plump for a 18".  The space between calipers and my 19" rims looks over an inch, so 18" is probably fine, not sure the 17" would clear, if it did it would be very close.

20 minutes ago, Gramate said:

I understand the purpose of a space saver for emergencies only, but I'm not sure anyone understood my original question, should it be a 17, 18 or 19" size to clear the calipers.

The simplest solution is to go in the middle and plump for a 18".  The space between calipers and my 19" rims looks over an inch, so 18" is probably fine, not sure the 17" would clear, if it did it would be very close.

Usually if your wheels are on 19" spare saver wheel should be 19" too. Had the same problem few yrs back and was told never to downgrade or upgrade the space saver as i might have issues with suspension. Up to you now and i think 18" will fit too.

2 hours ago, AndrewLast said:

Had the same problem few yrs back and was told never to downgrade or upgrade the space saver as i might have issues with suspension.

Sorry but who told you that rubbish? The tyre ideally needs to be the same circumference and the main wheel to avoid the vehicle leaning, but some are just close rather than exact. The only important thing about rim size is that it needs to clear the brake calliper - other than that it doesn't matter, you just fit a tyre of the size to make the total circumference correct.

That's why the current RX which comes with 20" wheels can have an 18" space saver.

2 hours ago, Gramate said:

As Brian stated, it makes no difference if the offset and spoke design clears the calliper. 17" wheels are fitted to the ES as standard on the base grade so certain designs of 17" rims will fit. If you are unsure then go with an 18" which would be more expensive but more of a guarantee that it would fit.

Once you decide on a rim you just need to get the correct tyre size to match the circumference of your existing wheels.

8 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

As Brian stated, it makes no difference if the offset and spoke design clears the calliper. 17" wheels are fitted to the ES as standard on the base grade so certain designs of 17" rims will fit. If you are unsure then go with an 18" which would be more expensive but more of a guarantee that it would fit.

Once you decide on a rim you just need to get the correct tyre size to match the circumference of your existing wheels.

Cheers Colin, makes perfect sense and the 18" space save I was quoted for the RC300h is an almost exact running circumference as my current tyres, give or take a 1mm.

Thanks for the advice, I'll order the 18" and hope I never have to use it 🙂

• Like 1

As stated before in this thread,  it is clear other models of Lexus space saver wheels will fit the ES, e.g  a GS300 or GS450h  which have them as standard. The tapered wheel nut faces and corresponding wheel  bolt hole face cause no issues and the steel space saver clears all the brake callipers.    

As long as the overall diameter of the space saver wheel and tyre wall are the same as the overall diameter of the standard alloy wheel incl tyre wall there is no problem.   Likewise is someone says the overall circumference of the space saver should be the same or very near the same as the original wheels, there is no issue.   

The tyre wall on a space saver is deeper than the tyre wall  on an original ES alloy wheel that's why the space saver wheel without it's tyre is usually a smaller diameter but the space saver tyre makes up the difference.   

I recall starting this thread some weeks ago when I posted photos of my GS300h space saver which was bought on eBay but didn't expect the post to still raise so many questions and/or comments.    I'm guessing we would all have opted for a space saver as an option if Lexus didn't treat the UK as unworthy.   If the cost of a space saver is more expensive than all  the junk you get with those awful one use only tyre inflation kits it merely reinforces the fact that us poor Brits have been plundered by higher car prices in the UK than say the EU or the US and have done for decades.     So if Lexus think they are doing us a favour by fitting an inflation kit to keep prices down or  the weight down then that is a load of nonsense.  Every car producer in the world that sells cars in the UK know full well we are the sacred cow and they charge far more in the UK than in other markets especially the US who just won't pay over inflated prices. Sure the US is Toyota's biggest market so they would say they can charge less but lets be honest here we get taken to the cleaners when we talk of new car prices.   I'll get off my soap box now.          

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 10:57 AM, SH20 said:

Every car producer in the world that sells cars in the UK know full well we are the sacred cow and they charge far more in the UK than in other markets especially the US who just won't pay over inflated prices. Sure the US is Toyota's biggest market so they would say they can charge less but lets be honest here we get taken to the cleaners when we talk of new car prices.   I'll get off my soap box now.  

I'm with you on that one, car prices here are ridiculously out of step with the US. With one exception, the ES300h. Prices are about on par with the US market when you take into account VAT (US car prices are advertised without VAT, so  ~29.7kGBP for the base pre-VAT, which is on average about 10% over there and you get ~32.7kGBP for the base which is within the 10% VAT difference between the two countries, add another 10% and you have the UK starting price). They're being aggressive with the pricing of that one model here in the UK. Have a look at the starting price for an ES in Germany (49.4k EUR), that's 42.4kGBP at current exchange rates.

30 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I think that model specifications will vary from Country to Country, thus preventing a true comparison.

Hence why I quoted the base prices. The specs for the base are nearly the same (with the exception of heated seats being an option on the base in the US), US, UK and German specs are the same (engine/transmission, safety kit all have LSS+ with ACC and LTA, sensors and reversing camera, two zone climate, and 17" alloys). The upgrade packages have different names and contents after that making that comparison impossible. Yes I checked, Yes I'm that obsessive.

3 minutes ago, peniole said:

Hence why I quoted the base prices. The specs for the base are nearly the same (with the exception of heated seats being an option on the base in the US), US, UK and German specs are the same (engine/transmission, safety kit all have LSS+ with ACC and LTA, sensors and reversing camera, two zone climate, and 17" alloys). The upgrade packages have different names and contents after that making that comparison impossible. Yes I checked, Yes I'm that obsessive.

Thanks Peniole. We do like obsessive members. Have you met our friend Linas yet ?

Oh, sorry, but welcome to the Forum.

55 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Peniole. We do like obsessive members. Have you met our friend Linas yet ?

Oh, sorry, but welcome to the Forum.

Thanks. I haven't but I've read some of his posts. I've especially been watching the Relax Warranty thread. When I ordered mine, I wanted to purchase the 2-4-1. Sales actually advised not to (Relax wasn't announced yet). With the exception of the multimedia exclusion, looks like a good deal to someone who already does all their servicing at the dealer. Anyway, tangential, sorry. Yes, I read manuals cover to cover and all fine print. So if you need another obsessor on the forum, I'm your man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links