Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC F oil check problem

Routine oil level check on my (new to me) RC F.

It seems impossible to make out where the level actually is because oil appears not only up to the top level mark but smeared way beyond that...or is it that that the true level because it has been overfilled?

Not sure what to think ???

I thought I had that problem with my ISF when I bought it. A quick look in the manual said to to only check the oil level 5 minutes after turning the engine off. This then gave the correct reading.

Is the RCF the same?

• Like 1

Indeed most oil level checks, I have always performed cold.....that way you know it has all fallen into the sump.

Perhaps checking it too early, or warm, might prompt someone to top it up unnecessarily.....

From the RC-F handbook

With the engine at operating temperature and turned off, check the oil level on
the dipstick.
■ Checking the engine oil
Park the vehicle on level ground. After warming up the engine and turning
off the engine, wait more than 5 minutes for the oil to drain back into the
bottom of the engine.

• Holding a rag under the end, pull the dipstick out.
  • Wipe the dipstick clean.
  • Reinsert the dipstick fully.
  • Holding a rag under the end, pull the dipstick out and check the oil level.

Thanks for all the replies.

I’ll do another check with a warm engine as stated above.

My last check was this morning with the engine stone cold.

I’ve been checking and changing oil and filters for more years than I care to remember so I think I know the basics.

My feeling at the moment is that Lexus Cardiff overfilled it at the service last June...not possible to prove of course.

I did see a remark on the internet that this engine takes a long time to drain,and techs don’t wait then put in the official oil quantity thereby overfilling.

The correct method,to me anyway,is to fully drain and then refill with the official amount less one litre,getting the level to the bottom of the stick and then gradually topping up.

OK,check today in the prescribed manner.

The distance between the high and low marks on the dipstick is 2 cm.

The oil level sits at,by coincidence,as near as I can say to 2cm.ABOVE the high mark.

The handbook,unlike on other cars,is not helpful in that it does not tell you the quantity of oil that equates to a top up from the low to high mark.

An educated guess by me would be one litre,and from that I would conclude that the oil is overfilled by one litre.

The next question is should I take any action...on a small engine that amount would be a lot,but perhaps not significant on a 5 litre engine with over 9 litres oil capacity?

From the handbook (page 441)

Adding engine oil
If the oil level is below or near the
low level mark, add engine oil of the
same type as that already in the
engine.

Oil quantity (Low → Full) 1.5 L (1.6 qt., 1.3 Imp. qt.)

I would use an oil siphon and remove the excess oil before it possibly contaminates the CATs or becomes aerated due to crankshaft lobes contacting the higher oil level..

12 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

From the handbook (page 441)

Adding engine oil
If the oil level is below or near the
low level mark, add engine oil of the
same type as that already in the
engine.

Oil quantity (Low → Full) 1.5 L (1.6 qt., 1.3 Imp. qt.)

I would use an oil siphon and remove the excess oil before it possibly contaminates the CATs or becomes aerated due to crankshaft lobes contacting the higher oil level..

Thanks for that,sadly I have not got a “handbook” but only the far shorter RC F User Guide.

I agree some oil needs removing.I don’t have an oil syphon but I do have a competent nearby garage who can do it.

• Like 1