Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450h Gen4 Dashcam

Could I ask, has anyone got a dashcam fitted to a Gen4 RX450h, especially the one that Lexus dealers sell you.

If so can you please post a pic of it and how it looks, where it has been placed and does it interfere with the built in camera the car uses for speed sign recognition etc?

38 minutes ago, flookyk said:

Could I ask, has anyone got a dashcam fitted to a Gen4 RX450h, especially the one that Lexus dealers sell you.

If so can you please post a pic of it and how it looks, where it has been placed and does it interfere with the built in camera the car uses for speed sign recognition etc?

As you probably know the Lexus dash cam system is now a front and rear system.  Lexus uses the Nextbase 380GWX bundle.  The system is very neat and fits flush to the glass so no dangly thing with a screen.  The Lexus cameras don’t have screens on them (which I prefer) but you can see your vids using the Cam Viewer app. The front camera is mounted always in this location (see photo) so doesn’t affect the car’s own cameras.

I should add that the rear camera is very small and you forget it’s there even though it’s mounted in the top middle of the rear glass.

I had mine fitted during the PDI and Lexus warranty the system for 3 years.  On my last Lexus, an ES, the Nextbase card failed just after the 12 month warranty period.  No problem says Lexus as we warranty it for 3 years. Two days later I had a new Nextbase SD card.

Video detail is good too, day and night.

3ACE6D68-2ABD-4E55-8286-305619869234.jpeg

017CDAE2-BB20-4EA6-B760-D9F788FD3304.jpeg

8679D46A-A2FB-48C2-9DE7-0D13122321A2.jpeg

DBE7EB1C-3EDA-41F2-B490-32095C6F13CE.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Habu said:

If you need better daylight image I can do those tomorrow.  Just let me know.

Thanks, those pictures are ok.

I was wondering if they fitted it central on the front screen how they avoided getting in the way of the cars own camera but it looks like the dashcam is offset to the left of centre.

• 3 weeks later...

4 minutes ago, Fatts said:

Other than in the event of a RTA; what use are dashcams? Do they go on recording when the car is parked and if that’s the case, what’s the impact on the car battery?

https://news.motability.co.uk/motoring/everything-you-need-to-know-about-dashcams/

12 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Roy,  The article provided a useful read. I note it did say having one fitted would not reduce one’s insurance premium but would help to prove one’s innocence in the event of a no fault accident.

8 minutes ago, Fatts said:

Thanks Roy,  The article provided a useful read. I note it did say having one fitted would not reduce one’s insurance premium but would help to prove one’s innocence in the event of a no fault accident.

That`s about right Banji and it will also help to incriminate you should you be at fault!

Treat is as a Sleeping Policeman at your side to assist you when driving. Good Luck.

I have one on each of the Merc and the Lexus.

• 2 months later...

Well after thinking about it and getting quite a bit of overtime at work my RX is booked into RMBAutos (Lexus Teesside) to have front and rear dashcams fitted this Friday.

I have been given a price of £375 which seems reasonable as Lexuspartsdirect has the dashcams themselves at £278 so around £100 to fit.

Wonder what they give me as a curtesy car this time (last year it was a 3 month old IS300h)

21 minutes ago, flookyk said:

I have been given a price of £375 which seems reasonable as Lexuspartsdirect has the dashcams themselves at £278 so around £100 to fit.

You'd have been better off with Viofo for £154 and either DIY the installation or a decent autoelectrician would fit for about £50.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIOFO-Cameras-Detection-G-sensor-Parking/dp/B07DHKLH4F

2021-03-02.thumb.png.726e3a1f3685786f2158a9b9e1cf0be9.png

1 hour ago, flookyk said:

Well after thinking about it and getting quite a bit of overtime at work my RX is booked into RMBAutos (Lexus Teesside) to have front and rear dashcams fitted this Friday.

Wonder what they give me as a curtesy car this time (last year it was a 3 month old IS300h)

Mine were installed by Lexus Teesside.  The supplied cameras are a bit more pricey but they are very neat and don’t have, to me, an annoying and distracting screen showing the image ahead.  Why do you need that?  I can see the live image on my phone if I need to make a camera adjustment but because it fits flush to the screen you probably won’t have to adjust the view as it’ll be set up by Lexus.

Worth checking what the warranty is as it’s certainly 3 years if fitted at the PDI stage but I don’t know about retrofitted.

38 minutes ago, Habu said:

The supplied cameras are a bit more pricey but they are very neat and don’t have, to me, an annoying and distracting screen showing the image ahead.  Why do you need that?

Well, first of all, I suppose you need it for setting up the camera or more likely, for instant playback if needed. The Viofo cameras also include a phone app and link by wifi so the screen on the camera itself is a 'belt and braces' backup in case your phone fails to connect at a time when you need it to.

Secondly, my camera is positioned on the passenger side of the rear view mirror and is 99% covered by said mirror, which means it doesn't present a distraction.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the screen should blank itself out after a maximum of three minutes (adjustable up to that 3min max), so again, no distraction when actually on the move. This is a legal requirement and the driver can be fined heavily if a dashcam screen, DVD screen or any other type of screen can be seen while the car is in motion.

Therefore, in this context at least, there is no difference between the overpriced 'Lexus' cam or the Viofo.

cam3.thumb.jpg.a8939a0ff880923aabb35c68c80902df.jpg

44 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Well, first of all, I suppose you need it for setting up the camera or more likely, for instant playback if needed. The Viofo cameras also include a phone app and link by wifi so the screen on the camera itself is a 'belt and braces' backup in case your phone fails to connect at a time when you need it to.

Secondly, my camera is positioned on the passenger side of the rear view mirror and is 99% covered by said mirror, which means it doesn't present a distraction.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the screen should blank itself out after a maximum of three minutes (adjustable up to that 3min max), so again, no distraction when actually on the move. This is a legal requirement and the driver can be fined heavily if a dashcam screen, DVD screen or any other type of screen can be seen while the car is in motion.

Therefore, in this context at least, there is no difference between the overpriced 'Lexus' cam or the Viofo.

cam3.thumb.jpg.a8939a0ff880923aabb35c68c80902df.jpg

I didn’t know they should blank out (makes complete sense though) but I’ve followed lots of cars where you can clearly see the camera view in the car in front.  Bad enough in daylight, positively distracting at night.  
I accept your system is much cheaper (and probably equally as good) but I like my Lexus Centre to fit their approved dash cam so I know there’ll be no issue if it fails plus a Lexus technician fits it and I get a 3 year warranty rather than 1 or 2 years.  But it’s good to have lots of different cameras to choose from and lots of options to have them fitted.  All is good.🙂

• Like 1

It's all fitted now, very neat both front and back and very easy to link to phone after installing the App.

The downside was being given a 70 reg CT 200h as a curtesy car, pleased it was just for a day.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 8:07 PM, Fatts said:

Other than in the event of a RTA; what use are dashcams? Do they go on recording when the car is parked and if that’s the case, what’s the impact on the car battery?

You can get either get a Battery pack to provide an independent supply or a regulator that will provide power with the ignition off and ensure that the current drain doesn’t exceed a preset level.

This enables the camera to operate when the vehicle is parked and thus able to record activity that occurs around the car, such as break-ins, keying as well as impacts.

I acquired my Lexus as a result of an HGV writing off my Accord on the M25.  The other driver’s insurance was dragging out settlement until I supplied the camera footage, when they paid out in full within a couple of days.

I can’t think of any reasons for NOT having one!

• Like 1