Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front door ground clearance

NDP

Hello, I just wanted to ask out of interest if any other CT owners have problems with their front doors grounding on pavements as you open them.

I live on a hill and have to be very careful not to open the door fully. The front doors; which are quite long, only have millimetre clearance and if the pavement is uneven in any way catch the corner of the door.
I have fitted a small triangular rubber on the corners of the doors which at least protects the paintwork but find it quite a nuisance having to remember not to swing the door open.
I think the combination of the long door and the CT sitting quite low is the problem which I can't remember happening on any other cars I have owned.
best Neal

2 hours ago, NDP said:

Hello, I just wanted to ask out of interest if any other CT owners have problems with their front doors grounding on pavements as you open them.

I live on a hill and have to be very careful not to open the door fully. The front doors; which are quite long, only have millimetre clearance and if the pavement is uneven in any way catch the corner of the door.
I have fitted a small triangular rubber on the corners of the doors which at least protects the paintwork but find it quite a nuisance having to remember not to swing the door open.
I think the combination of the long door and the CT sitting quite low is the problem which I can't remember happening on any other cars I have owned.
best Neal

Yes have same issue. Never had this problem with any other car in 30 years. The road where my elderly father lives has quite a pronounced camber. Everytime he gets in the car he opens the door fully and plonks himself in the passenger seat. Shortly after, realises he can't close the door as it's jammed into the grass verge! He then has to get out, partially close the door and try again 🤣

Thanks for your reply - I'm glad I am not the only one then!

I was beginning to wonder if the car was sitting extra low for some reason. It is more of a problem parking on cambers as you say.

Thanks

That's true!

I bought mine in the summer and using it more in the dark now have noticed other car headlights are very bright again due to the lower ride height. 

You are all lucky you don't live in Chicago!

The curbs are so high you can't actually open the passenger door in many places. I or my partner have to pull away from the curb to let the other one out in many places and the front trim frequently catches on front parking concrete blocks!

On 12/7/2020 at 8:47 PM, grouseinchicago said:

You are all lucky you don't live in Chicago!

The curbs are so high you can't actually open the passenger door in many places. I or my partner have to pull away from the curb to let the other one out in many places and the front trim frequently catches on front parking concrete blocks!

Wow! sounds like we are fortunate here then!