Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First long journey in my LS460

I have not owned my latest Lexus for too long but thought I would share some feedback on my first long motorway journey. It was 428 mostly motorway or duel carriageway miles. I achieved 32mpg at motorway speeds keeping up with the traffic. Tyre noise was my greatest concern. My CPS light had come on a while back and with a clean of the front L has stayed off. The roads were wet so on corners it did not feel too sure footed. Can anyone recommend tyres that are quiet but also give a reasonable grip and life. I don’t drive hard I put 70,000 miles on a set of Pirelli Scorpion tyres on my XC70. The jury is out for me as too whether the LS430 or my 460 give a better ride, however I have to say I have been impressed and pleased and can see myself loving every minute in this car. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

Glad you enjoyed the journey, I'm looking forward to driving mine to Lands End in less than two weeks.  Everyone will have their own views on tyres but for some years I've gone with Avon's which give excellent wet grip. I've got them on my Celsior and my Volvo and I think they're great tyres.

Thanks for your reply I had Avon on a big Merc I had a few years back and they were very good so I’ll have a look. I hope you enjoy your trip to Cornwall, something we fancy doing but the 460 is quite wide for the small lanes.

I had always used Dunlop SP Sports on my 460 but, a couple of years ago, I changed to Michelin Pilot Sports.......I find them much quieter.  In fairness 'quieter' is a relative term in an, already, very quiet LS 🙂 

BTW, I have 19 inch wheels on mine.

19 hours ago, PJ Murphy said:

Thanks for your reply I had Avon on a big Merc I had a few years back and they were very good so I’ll have a look. I hope you enjoy your trip to Cornwall, something we fancy doing but the 460 is quite wide for the small lanes.

That is the main problem as I will be staying down a narrow country lane, I'm guessing the LS460 is the same width as the Celsior/LS430.  There should be a lot less traffic in December though.  Btw, my Volvo came with Michelin tyres but they caused it to tramline really badly, as soon as I got the Avon's it was fine.

• 1 month later...

Dear Paul,

I was very interested to read your ‘first long journey’ experience.

I have always admired the LS460 for its combination of luxury, performance, acceptable mpg considering its performance and reliability.

We are weighing up buying one against an XC70 (D5 version) and I noticed you previously owned one.

I am not a big diesel fan but the practicality, mpg, relative reliability, AWD and comfort is enticing. 

I would very much appreciate your take on how the 2 cars compare in your experience .

Just to put a bit of perspective on use. Our usage would be as a daily driver doing around 6-9000 miles a year including some Continental long trips. As we live abroad about half the year it would be garaged and not used for 4-6 months. Only the 2 of us but we always seem to fill up every car we have!

Many thanks in advance

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links