Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashboard lights Up like a Christmas tree?

So I am having this weird issue on my 05 SE. 66k miles. 

Sometimes, not in any particular time or place, but while driving around town, all the dash lights will light up including the warning and airbag lights. The screen says 'Check Vice 

Funny thing is that everything works just fine including the PS. The moment I restart the car, all lights go away and it's normal.

It just came back from a major service and they said the car had no error codes registered. They however said they did a sonography thing where they check for noises and frequencies and said that the alternator was making a little noise but nothing major as of now. 

Thought if you guys know more about this?

Thanks. 

Two things spring to mind:

1. Electrical oddities are often due to a failing Battery. My old BMW used to go crazy, Xmas dash lights, wipers coming on, interior lights coming on etc.
Give it a good charge and see what happens

2. Alternator output. Check with a multimeter across the Battery terminals. With the engine running you should read 13.5 - 14.5v.
If a Voltage Regulator fails, it will output close to 16v so the electricals throw a fit.

• Thanks 1

As Linas said above, check with an OBD2 reader - it could be a fault that's pending and not yet recorded in ecu. Could possibly be something like the O2 sensors starting to fail, not quite failed yet so reporting an issue and then reverting back to running properly. 70k was the usual time in mileage that the sensors would pack in... And also mentioned, could be Battery, usual life is around 8 to 10 years. Do you have the original Battery still in (Panasonic make?)

I had similar last year and the general consensus was "Battery failing!".

As the Battery was the original Panasonic from 2007  (12 years old) I changed it and ... no difference.

Further investigation revealed it to be the upstream O2 sensor on left bank. I changed both and its all been good since.

I'm not saying it's not the Battery or charging system as the symptoms aren't the same (don't remember airbag light coming on but the check engine light and stability control lights definitely did)  but its worth doing a bit more investigation before condemning anything.

However, if you want to eliminate the Battery by changing it (and if your Battery is over 10 years old then probably not a bad call anyway) . Idid lots of research on best Battery and Panasonic came out best BUT they handed over manufacture of their car batteries to Yuasa a couple of years ago so I bought a Yuasa 068 from GSF Car parts while using one of their discount codes it came out at £82.47 with 4 year guarantee. Same Battery today on GSF using current discount code (SAFE60) comes out at £78.99.

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/971na0260

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

On 12/3/2020 at 12:38 PM, Tyre Tread said:

I had similar last year and the general consensus was "battery failing!".

As the battery was the original Panasonic from 2007  (12 years old) I changed it and ... no difference.

Further investigation revealed it to be the upstream O2 sensor on left bank. I changed both and its all been good since.

I'm not saying it's not the battery or charging system as the symptoms aren't the same (don't remember airbag light coming on but the check engine light and stability control lights definitely did)  but its worth doing a bit more investigation before condemning anything.

However, if you want to eliminate the battery by changing it (and if your battery is over 10 years old then probably not a bad call anyway) . Idid lots of research on best battery and Panasonic came out best BUT they handed over manufacture of their car batteries to Yuasa a couple of years ago so I bought a Yuasa 068 from GSF Car parts while using one of their discount codes it came out at £82.47 with 4 year guarantee. Same battery today on GSF using current discount code (SAFE60) comes out at £78.99.

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/971na0260

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:59 AM, rich1068 said:

As my learn'd colleagues have said above, alternator. Had a very similar thing the other week on my LS. 

On 12/3/2020 at 8:43 AM, is200 Newbie said:

As Linas said above, check with an OBD2 reader - it could be a fault that's pending and not yet recorded in ecu. Could possibly be something like the O2 sensors starting to fail, not quite failed yet so reporting an issue and then reverting back to running properly. 70k was the usual time in mileage that the sensors would pack in... And also mentioned, could be battery, usual life is around 8 to 10 years. Do you have the original battery still in (Panasonic make?)

On 12/3/2020 at 12:16 AM, Herbie said:

As above, check battery and alternator:

33436522_batterycharge.thumb.jpg.d516537c05f7d43abcb853fa74ea308a.jpg

On 12/2/2020 at 10:41 PM, chr15gb said:

Two things spring to mind:

1. Electrical oddities are often due to a failing battery. My old BMW used to go crazy, Xmas dash lights, wipers coming on, interior lights coming on etc.
Give it a good charge and see what happens

2. Alternator output. Check with a multimeter across the battery terminals. With the engine running you should read 13.5 - 14.5v.
If a Voltage Regulator fails, it will output close to 16v so the electricals throw a fit.

Thank you all my friends for your time and advice. So I bought a OBD 2 and plugged it in. Drove it for a while yesterday till the lights came on, scanned and found NOTHING!! Crap. 

Now time to get the Battery tested I guess, and the alternator output. 

Or, 

I think I'll just leave it till something fails eventually. I just got a major service done for like £1k. If something does fail, AA to the rescue, and I'm paying for their parts thingy anyway. 

I'm no expert (hence my original thread) but I'd be surprised if a code reader would show anything for a failing battery/alternator. You could try one of those FM transmitter things I mentioned. Alternatively, wait until the lights come on and then call the AA. They'll test for you. Another thing to keep in mind is that the alternator can take the Battery with it so added £££.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, napstr007 said:

Now time to get the battery tested I guess, and the alternator output. 

OBD2 should show Battery voltage, both when engine is on (so alternator is working) and when off - just turn on accessories and it will show actual Battery voltage. By having 2 values (when charging and on it's own) it may help to better pin-point issue. 

• Like 1