Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Switching brand to Lexus

Hi everyone,

My first post, hopefully not my last! My BMW X3 - there, I said it, comes to the end of it's PCP deal next year and I am, as always, on the look out. As I am now a home worker and my mileage has dropped considerably, less than 6,000 a year, the MPG return no longer plays a big part in the decision. I have narrowed my choice down to a used Lexus RX, or a new Rav4 (bells and whistles). Not exactly like for like, but both hybrid, same stable, reliability assured and more likely I'll be let out at junctions! At this point I'll declare that 'my other car is a hybrid' - no sticker on the back bumper, but my wife chose a CHR last year, so the driving hybrid style is not new to us.

This forum has helped me sway towards Lexus and looking at the online PCP deals on a car which is around 2018/2019, better value than a new Rav, or for that matter an NX. Why not an NX? I'm thinking for the same outlay and fuel consumption the RX trumps it - am I right, is there something I should know? Either way, the days of Bavarian motoring may be behind me and I'm getting used to imagining a Lexus RX on the drive. So I'll stop the ramble and would be so grateful if anyone could post a reply to the below:

• Is the cream/brown interior option as bad in the flesh as it looks on some of the dealers pictures?
  • Should I push hard for the newer model, or have they remained largely similar
  • I love my music, I would love to afford the ML system but may have to be content with the standard system - probably a subjective one, but are you happy with the 'standard' set up
  • The blade LED headlights look cool, are they that much better than the single LED lamp - only asking as we live in a dark national park and good vision at night is paramount!

Any other feedback is appreciated. In closing, having been the owner of a few brands of late I have always joined in on a forum. This has to be one of the most informative and up to date, I really hope the other half says yes - fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Hi Andrew, welcome to LOC. You are about to make a right choice! 😉

RX seems like a very good car (always top of the charts constantly) and I think you will get plenty information from members (I own a GS, after BMW too 🙂) on all your questions.

I would suggest to take one for a good test drive as it will be very different to drive to an X3! When I test drove my GS it felt like all the roads in Edinburgh were re-surfaced and so smooth! But no Lexus can drive as BMW, even my wifes 7-seater BMW (2 series) feels more stable, more eager to turn and more tenacious in corners but comfort wise the BMW (M-Sport) is not even close to GS.

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated! 

Vlad

• Like 1

Welcome Andrew to LOC, as a RX owner I absolutely love it. 

About your questions:

• Is the cream/brown interior option as bad in the flesh as it looks on some of the dealers pictures?

My RX interior is so and I think it give more "space" compared to black interior, the only disadvantage could be it is more sensitive to get dirty (but having no kids around to be worried it is not a problem to me).

• Should I push hard for the newer model, or have they remained largely similar

Lexus philosophy is  based on continuous improvements , you have to evaluate if for you the new features like android auto and blade lights are important or not compared to money difference from previous model. Adaptive suspensions is a matter of version, and it is another feature to consider.

• I love my music, I would love to afford the ML system but may have to be content with the standard system - probably a subjective one, but are you happy with the 'standard' set up

My RX has ML and it is very good, so I can't say how standard audio is,  too subjective to say if it's enough.

• The blade LED headlights look cool, are they that much better than the single LED lamp - only asking as we live in a dark national park and good vision at night is paramount!

I have matrix led  with automatic  high beam and they are very effective, I guess new  blade system is even better, but I am satisfied  yet.

• Like 2

Hi Andrew,

I have driven an NX but not the RAV, although I have examined one in the showroom I don't think the fittings and look of the RAV are as good as the NX although in the RAV's favour, it had a bigger boot and a more developed and later engine than the NX.  Also, being a Toyota is comes from new with a 5 year warranty compared with the 3 year one the Lexus.

As regards the RX, I assume you would be looking to purchase a 4th Generation one which has an even larger footprint than the 3rd Gen one I have.  I found mine a little bulky and less manoeuvrable than the NX but more comfortable. 

You really need to drive the cars to access them as different people have different priorities.  Infotainment would not be a deal breaker for me as I usually just have the radio or CD player on.  But I will put some music on a stick sometime.

I am not sure whether the RAV and NX have a space saver wheel as my RX has.  I also have an old 5 series BMW that has a full sized spare.  Not having even a space saver in the the X3 and relying on those run flats which are widely disliked was why I decided against it.  There have also been a lot of reports of problems with Audi Q5 and Mercedes so that left the RX by a process of elimination.

I intend keeping my RX for a few years until some all electric models have proved they are reliable and have dropped in price as I expect  with mass production and more choice.

Let us know what you go for and post a few pics please.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for your replies, really useful. I agree that the driving of the cars will provide me with a true picture, but as above, a BMW on run-flats is not the best and the ride in the CHR alone is testament to that. I'm sure the RX will be a relative magic carpet ride.
In terms of fit and finish, as good as the new Rav seems to be, the Lexus in either guise is a step up. If it was a choice between a Rav and an NX,  I would have to say the 5 year warranty, running costs and latest hybrid system alone would possibly sway me. However, to compare the RX and Rav is quite unfair as they aren't true 'competitors'. For me, with some rude calculations, the online PCP deal for a 2018/19 RX against a new Rav makes it the RX each time. Factor in the cost of the extended warranty (hope that 2 year deal will last!) and a tow bar (flippin' 'eck they're expensive) and I'm still on track for the RX 😀
I'll keep you up to date (still have to convince my better half), but I'm sure she'll be swayed when we get to drive one 👍

• Like 1

I was speaking with a Toyota sales person today and he mentioned a couple of things that were new to me but I expect some of you with ears to the ground will know.  He said that a version of the RAV was going to be sold as a plug in that would give about 30 miles but would then fall back on it's petrol/hybrid power.  He couldn't or wouldn't say when this will be available/  Apparently, Toyota already has a purpose designed model using hydrogen on trial and he thought Toyota were going more down this route.  However, a Lexus sales person told me that a fully electric version of the UX would be the first of some all electric Lexus models  - time will tell.  Is there a place for electric and hydrogen models or will one kill off the other as VHS did to Betamax, I wonder? Certainly electric cars have a head start but getting enough materials for batteries might become a problem.  It's not easy to know what to do for a new car but less so if you are buying used, for a time at least.   

3 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

I was speaking with a Toyota sales person today and he mentioned a couple of things that were new to me but I expect some of you with ears to the ground will know.  He said that a version of the RAV was going to be sold as a plug in that would give about 30 miles but would then fall back on it's petrol/hybrid power.  He couldn't or wouldn't say when this will be available/  Apparently, Toyota already has a purpose designed model using hydrogen on trial and he thought Toyota were going more down this route.  However, a Lexus sales person told me that a fully electric version of the UX would be the first of some all electric Lexus models  - time will tell.  Is there a place for electric and hydrogen models or will one kill off the other as VHS did to Betamax, I wonder? Certainly electric cars have a head start but getting enough materials for batteries might become a problem.  It's not easy to know what to do for a new car but less so if you are buying used, for a time at least.   

Extremely easy to know what to do for a new car Barry. Buy a Lexus Hybrid--or just keep the one you have..

2030 is a long way away and by then the landscape will be very very different.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Extremely easy to know what to do for a new car Barry. Buy a Lexus Hybrid--or just keep the one you have..

2030 is a long way away and by then the landscape will be very very different.

LOL!  No I was not looking for myself.  I am happy with my RX450h or will be when the hatch chrome handle is properly fitted.  It transpires that a component of this was omitted when repairs were made.  You would think that with these totalling close on 10K the fitter and quality control would have noticed.  I think it's just an adhesive strip.  It's as well I first rang Lexus Exeter to find out whether they were expecting me as Snows Repair Centre Southampton promised.  Instead of arranging with Exeter they had contacted Plymouth by mistake.  The part has been ordered and my car is being taken by low loader to Exeter for this to be done in January.  I will also be asking them to fill it up with petrol to compensate for my abortive visit there today as the part was not stocked  Anyway, while I was waiting for my car to be looked at, I took the opportunity to try to find out what Lexus/Toyota were planning so raised on this thread as possible interest to OP and anybody else who may be contemplating a new car.

• Like 1

I've read a little about the new Rav plug in. It's labelled as the Prime in some countries and has a heck of a turn of speed - around 6.5s to 62 I believe? There's a few videos on line regarding it, however, there's also a concerning one which I picked up on yesterday. It failed the 'moose test' miserably. Check on line, there's also a thread that Toyota is adjusting the ASC software, but this may be a reason that the launch has been delayed in the UK?

450h 1 Rav 0       They think it's all over!!