Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2016+ RX vs competition

Hi all. 

Just wanted to have some feedback and advice from 2016+  RX450h owners. 

What's it like to live with? Towing capacity? Is the ICE as bad as it was on the previous model? Which trim level would you recommend? 

Which make and model would you consider to compete with RX? 

Thank you kindly in advance. I have just sold my GS450h and will be looking to move up in the ranks 😎

Hi Mel,

I've had mine for a year and have no complaints at all. I can't comment on towing capacity as I don't tow anything, or what the previous model's engine was like - but I can certainly say the current model RX's engine is absolutely fine - fast when you want it to be and smooth and quiet when you don't.

As for trim levels, I guess it depends on what your priorities are and what is important to you. I have what is equivalent to Luxury spec, but it still comes with heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, radar cruise control, reversing camera, etc. F-Sport and Premier add niceties such as ML audio (optional on F-Sport I think), adaptive suspensions, 360 degree cameras, HUD, blind spot monitoring etc. Panoramic or sun roofs are optional on all grades as far as I know.

• Like 1

The gen 4 RX 450h is dead easy to live with. It's quiet , comfortable, .easily powerful enough to keep up with traffic and reasonably economical for a vehicle of its size and weight. It's a Lexus so it will be reliable.

The downside is its size - it is big and you can't see easily how close you are to parked cars. I'd look for a model with the all round cameras . It won't fit in my garage and its slightly longer than most car parking spaces. Parking in car park spaces is easy enough if you reverse in using the rear camera.

Insurance seems expensive , it cost 50% more to insure than the  GSF it replaced.

The ICE isn't as bad as the motoring press would have you believe, operating it is just something you get used to. I know some people have had trouble with internet access but I don't use this so don't know if it is a problem. The Sat Nav is clunky and takes some getting used to, but it usually gets where you want to go if you use some common sense.

At the moment car tax for the pre April 17 models is cheaper as it doesn't get loaded for the first five years.

I don't use it for towing but I've heard it will tow up to 2000kg. You need to check this.

The heads up display and adjustable suspension on F Sport models and above is worth having but you might have to go up to Premier to get the all round cameras.

Alternatives : I don't know, might consider a UX next time round. Depends what your priorities are.

I like driving mine, even though it is a bit big, and the hybrid drivetrain suits my driving style.

Any help??

• Like 1

I had a gen 3 Advance before buying my Jan 2017 Premier. 

I wouldn't want the car without the 360 degree cameras as it makes parking so easy and the HUD is fantastic. Economy is very good with all the power you need. 

Averaged nearly 37mpg over 10000 miles. 

• Like 2

I went from a 2011 RX450h to a 2017 one in August.

The 2017 is even smoother drive and slightly better fuel economy, it seems more eager to use the EV side than the Gen3.

The exterior design is growing on me and love the LED lights.

I never had any problems at all with the ICE on either the 2011 or this 2017, I am right handed but have no problem using my left hand on the "mouse"

The engine gives enough power to surprise a lot of other road users, especially seeing it is in a vehicle weighing over 2200kg

The only downside of the Gen4 to the Gen3 is more limited choice for tyres in 20 inch size to the 19 inch on the Gen3.

For me the size of the vehicle is not a problem (don't have 360 camera) as it is feels smaller than the Range Rover P38 I had a couple of cars before the 2011 Gen3.

The only problem I have had with the size is some multi story carparks with tight turns between levels where the front parking sensors have been very useful.

• Like 1

Usually when journalists compare RX 450h with competitor SUVs, the critics are always the same, low max speed, low 0-60 for the power, eCVT noise and scarce "sportiness", infotainment "old".

Same old words.  And nothing so noticeable in real use. Meanwhile, they don't talk much about absolute comfort and absence of vibrations in engine, and excellent mpg you can have in city driving (but also comparable in highways ) , superior to any other SUV, even diesel one. They don't say a word about maintenance costs and purchase price , too.

So, if you want a SUV to race against other ones, may be better buying an Audi or Porsche  diesel, if you like real wellbeing go for an RX.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Zotto said:

Usually when journalists compare RX 450h with competitor SUVs, the critics are always the same, low max speed, low 0-60 for the power, eCVT noise and scarce "sportiness", infotainment "old".

Same old words.  And nothing so noticeable in real use. Meanwhile, they don't talk much about absolute comfort and absence of vibrations in engine, and excellent mpg you can have in city driving (but also comparable in highways ) , superior to any other SUV, even diesel one. They don't say a word about maintenance costs and purchase price , too.

So, if you want a SUV to race against other ones, may be better buying an Audi or Porsche  diesel, if you like real wellbeing go for an RX.

I think this is an excellent and concise summary of RX ownership (and probably most hybrid Lexus models). Certainly my experience of a previous-gen model, I'm sure a 4th gen RX is similar but better in most aspects that count in day-to-day ownership and use.

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2020 at 4:26 PM, aviator888 said:

Is the ICE as bad as it was on the previous model?

When you said ICE, I thought you meant the Internal Combustion Engine, not In Car Entertainment! 😆 I find the mouse pad fine to use. It took me a while to get used to initially, but I can quite happily control it left-handed even though I'm right-handed.

18 minutes ago, mikey2001 said:

When you said ICE, I thought you meant the Internal Combustion Engine, not In Car Entertainment! 😆 I find the mouse pad fine to use. It took me a while to get used to initially, but I can quite happily control it left-handed even though I'm right-handed.

You are not the first Mike. The problem lies with the composer, not the reader!

• Like 1

Thank You all kindly for replies. I will keep you posted. After numerous test viewings i am considering either RX450h F-Sport or Kia Sorento KX4. Kia is cheaper to buy and for a reason. It also features a diesel engine that i am not too keen on. While still far from Lexus, i was actually pretty impressed with Sorento's build quality and features. Will keep you updated, but the fact that i have enough funds to buy the Kia outright and would have to finance little bit of RX also Kia's excellent warranty is leaning me to the dark side at the moment 😄 

Tested positive for Covid yesterday so i will have enough time in isolation to have a good think about it and perhaps make a comeback for RX.  

• Like 1

Hi Mel,

My daughter has a Kia Sorento though not the latest model.  It was used quite extensively when she had to take her 4 children to different schools offloading them en route and collecting them after school and taking them to after school clubs etc so she has done very high mileage in it and with her husband they all pile in for holidays.  She and her husband love it and will keep it but use a very small car now as only two of the children need lifts and attend the same school.

The car has proved very reliable and my impression from travelling it on many occasions is that the ride is slightly softer than my RX but the seats are not as comfortable.  It does feel a little cheaper inside than the Lexus and acceleration is significantly worse.  When up to speed the engine smooths out but is rough and rattly at idle and low speed.  My daughter gets about 31mpg so similar to my RX.  It has proved cheaper to maintain than the Lexus and comes with a 7 year warranty.  The sat nav is poor and like me she uses TomTom or Google maps. 

I remember looking at Kia at the London Motor Show many years ago and thinking they were pretty poor but each generation has resulted in very significant improvement. They do lack the quality feel of the RX but are pretty good work horses in a less refined way.  Hope you find this of interest.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Earls Court Barry and we would leave with bags full of brochures ?

True, attended to consider what I might buy used some years on - way beyond my means at the time. Also went to Classic cars shows although these may have been at Birmingham Exhibition Centre and other places as were kit car and motor cycle shows I used to attend.  I think a lot of enjoyment comes from anticipation and sometimes sacrifices you have to make to buy that model you look at longingly whenever you see it, although car ownership nowadays is more easily achievable.  Of course there used to be many makes and models that have not survived, so I think it was more interesting years ago.

Anyway, with fewer models to consider today, with lots of reviews and test drives available, it should be easier to decide what best suits you.  Some people just want a means of getting from A to B at minimum cost whereas others want a lot more for diverse reasons and really enjoy ownership.  I would expect that people who spend a lot of time on car forums fall into this last category.

• Like 1

Towing I have no idea on, the HUD is worth the money but I think the 360 camera is only available on the Takumi spec which really was a step too far for me.

Size is a slight issue (having previously had an LS400, the RX is a bit wider when you count the wing mirrors in) and the turning circle doesn't feel as good as previous cars I've had over the years.

The touch pad isn't as nice to use as either the BMW or Mercedes equivalents jog wheel systems (I think both also have a touch pad as well) I've had in hire cars but the Lexus is a much nicer place to sit in. The actual infotainment isn't bad and usually use my phone for music as the voice recognition is generally better and have the 2/3 1/3 split with the car doing sat nav on the 2/3 and Android car play doing music on the 1/3 which works fine for my use.

Performance wise I don't feel it's particularly slow not quite as peppy as the Mercedes E class I hired a couple of years ago where the 9 (I think) speed box made up for the diesel but you're not buying a sports car and I don't really notice any difference with CVT from a regular auto box (but I don't drive up a lot of hills) I do really like the looks as well and I'm not sure the Germans are as reliable as they used to be and the RX is a more comfortable ride and a lot quieter than the X3 diesel I did have.

I sold the X3 as it was a year too old to qualify for the low emission zone when it expands and I wanted to get it sold before everyone realises the ULEZ covers out to the north / south circular. It did however move me over to an SUV rather than saloon, that feeling of being up higher is nice.

Alternatives I looked at were either more expensive or diesel which I wanted to avoid, I don't like the Volvo styling, anything from JLR just feels like a gamble and the Germans just struck me as over rated.

• Like 1

One thing that worries me about RX (or most of the hybrids) is people stealing catalytic converters. Does anyone know the location of it on RX (2017 - onwards)? I know that some cars place it under the bonnet so it is harder (impossible) to steal quickly.

• Like 1