Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX leather patch?

Can anyone tell me why some NXs have an extra piece of leather on the top of the dashboard (drivers side)? It looks like an after-thought just stuck on but I know there will be a reason. It might only be on the Premier model of a certain age? See photo in link below.

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/Nx-Estate/300h-25-Premier-5dr-CVT-qxcentg

Weird, not had that on either my pre-facelift Sport or my current post-facelift Luxury. There must be a reason but no real idea what it could be - something to do with a ‘heads-up’ display is all I can think of. A quick look online suggests this is present on pre-facelift Premier models only.

Somebody must know...

• Thanks 1

When I looked @ my HUD there is actually a flush fitting  mould in the dash behind Instrument pod that houses the HUD itself & could be removed if required.

Tel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Clearly but the patch may be covering an area of the dash top that may create reflections on the windscreen that would obscure the HUD display

^^ Whatever it was for, Lexus seem to have been able to do without it since the facelift. 

@LexusPartsDirectdo you know?  

• Thanks 1

I also assumed that this was to provide extra height for the HUD assembly, since it was only on pre-facelift Premier models.  Jumping out of my pre-facelift car (without HUD) into a post-facelift loaner (without HUD) a couple of years ago, it was obvious that the shape of the dash above the instrument cluster had changed, becoming noticeably more bulbous. This change might have been made to enable a single dash moulding for both HUD-equipped and non-HUD cars, saving on production costs? 

• Thanks 1