Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My overheating nightmare

So, its been a bumpy start for the ownership of my Lexus IS300h. I bought it knowing it was a bit rough around the edges, thinking I could do some little jobs on it myself to bring it back up to standard. 

But it all went downhill must be over a month ago now, the car started overheating, had to limp it home. Everything pointed towards the thermostat being the cause of the issue. So I ordered a genuine thermostat and water pump from Lexus along with a complete service pack. Did the work myself, a bit of a pain job, but nothing too difficult. Just a bit tight to access stuff. 

Not long after doing this, I had to get rescued off the motorway after over heating again. I was gutted. I had to stretch myself to afford this car and loved it. I have had two Lexus IS200's Mk1s in the past and they were bomb proof and not matter how hard I kicked them they just ran and ran.

Anywho, what followed was weeks of troubleshooting, being passed from garage to garage, not willing to take on the work or be able to find out what was wrong with it. Lexus Leeds were awful. I'd ring and ask to get it booked in and they wouldn't return my calls and just ignore me. I will never consider buying any parts or using their services ever again.

The problem is, the car is pressurising the coolant system, pushing the coolant out of the overflow. It happens over about 50-100miles. 

I'd resided myself to the head gasket being blown (possibility that it still may be!), I was looking at second hand engines on eBay. When I spotted a strange little thing on the back of the engine. 

Turns out there is an EGR cooler bolted to the back of the engine, it uses the engines coolant to cool down the exhaust gases before letting them go back into the engine. 

What I am thinking and hoping! Is that this has blown inside and the exhaust gasses are causing the pressure in my coolant system. I managed to secure a secondhand EGR Cooler and Valve, I have run out of money at this point and a genuine Lexus cooler is £380! I tried to fit it myself, but it is impossible to get too easily. 

So tonight the Lexus is at a garage, hopefully to be returned to me tomorrow. I just hope that this resolves the issue or I will have to take the Lexus off the road and buy a banger till I can afford to fix it next year.  😞 

• Sad 3

Unfortunately not. It wasn't a main dealer, and spoken to them and they are not interested in sorting it. I have in the past successfully chased a garage down on a shoddy car, I got a full refund, but it took 9 months! I don't have the time, nor can I wait that long to get the issue resolved. 

Its booked back into the more helpful garage I found locally next week. They are going to diagnose the issue and see if they can help. 

Still can't get over how unhelpful Lexus Leeds were, their customer service was appalling.  

The place you purchased it from may not be interested in sorting it, but the small claims court may be interested in helping you sort it!

I've a family member who successfully took their case there and won. Indeed it takes time (and it sounds like you have won in the past, but was that in the courts?), but if it's stretched you, I know I might entertain the idea if I were in your shoes.

Thanks for the feedback on Lexus Leeds. Vantage Motor Group!

Last time I did it I went through the financial ombudsman. It took ages, but I did win. I am packed out with work and don't have the time or energy or mind set to face something like that at the moment. 

I just need to get it sorted and get on with enjoying it. I love driving the car, its such a nice place to be. Fingers crossed it doesn't cost the earth to get it back on the road.

• Like 4

I know just how you feel, it's gut wrenching.  Did you buy from a dealer, and how long ago?  If a dealer sold it to you the law clearly is on your side being "not fit for purpose" and if they won't address the issue satisfactorily they must refund your money.

• Like 4

Try a bottle of Steelseal in the cooling system. I know how skeptical people can be about this sort of stuff but a few years ago my daughters Peugeot 207 started pumping out white exhaust smoke and along with water loss from the system, these symptoms pointed to head gasket failure. Just smelling the exhaust added weight to the theory. The car was worth very little and she did not have much money, so as the "fixer" in my family, I searched and came across Steelseal.

It seemed expensive to me but as a last chance effort I gave it a go and also changed the thermostat as I reckoned that was the root cause. Well, it worked. The car stopped emitting the white smoke, stopped losing coolant and ran fine until we sold it this year.

It seems expensive for a bottle of "snakeoil" but it worked for us. Got to be worth a try!

• Like 1

Do not put steel seal in it. I'm just heading out for the evening but when I'm back il talk you through some small simple checks to do first. 

Same as above don't but any additive in the system have you had a head gasket test done where you use a sniffer bottle with special fluid that changes colour if it has exhaust gasses present? 

Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply, it has been a very hectic week! 

So I was a bit annoyed with Lexus Leeds and ended up writing a review on Google (the modern day equivalent of a strongly worded letter I guess). Well the review caught the eye of Vantage Group and they got me in touch with the service manager at Lexus Leeds. To be honest I am blown away with the level of service I have since received. 

They got the car straight in and inspected (also giving me a lovely 20 plate IS300h F Sport). They found a faulty radiator cap and hoped it was just that, which they replaced for free. 

Unfortunately, despite them road testing the car yesterday, by the time I got it home and I checked the coolant level, it had already started to rise. By this morning, it was pushing out the top of the tank again. 

Lexus Leeds took the car straight back to investigate and there it has stayed all day, they haven't been in touch today, but they did say they were very busy and set my expectations that I would be in the courtesy car (an ES300H) over the weekend. 

So I guess its just a matter of waiting to see what they come back with after having a deeper inspection. My gut feeling is its the head gasket, but I feel like its in the best place to find that out. What happens if it is, I don't really know. I am not sure if I can afford that much Lexus labour, but the service manager seems keen to make up for the communication failures at the start.

On the back of all this, I take back my comments about the dealer. I would highly recommend using them if you are local to them.

I'll update the thread when I know more. 

James   

• Like 2

Quick update:

The car has been back and forth to Lexus Leeds a few times now. They have done various tests that all came back as clear, but after getting the car back yesterday with them convinced the issue had been resolved. I took it for a good run out last night, (a 50 mile round trip), and noticed coming off a round about that the thermostat nudged a little way up and over the normal position, but other than that it was fine. Then on my way to work this morning, I lost all heat through the blowers and started over heating again. 

I managed to limp the car back to Lexus Leeds where they did a sniffer test and it failed. So it is now pretty much confirmed that it is the head gasket.

Just waiting to hear from Lexus Leeds how much the damage will be to fix it, and if I can afford that or if I have to replace the engine with a secondhand item.

Just so to update the symptoms. 

Car seems to push the coolant out from the heater matrix, into the header tank and then out the overflow. No heat coming from blowers and then the car will start to overheat. In the engine bay, the header tank is full of coolant, and its coming out the overflow. Both upper and lower pipes are warm/hot.

The car hasn't lost any power, doesn't have any mixed oil/coolant, nor does it have any smoke coming from the exhaust. It hasn't lost any power or lost any economy. No warning lights (unless it gets too hot) and no error codes.

*Edit* Lexus Leeds haven't heard of another IS300h with this issue or a blown head gasket and no results form a Google search for this issue either.

Well, I stand by what I said in a previous post. If all else fails and it's a toss up between an undoubted large Lexus bill or a second hand engine with an equally large bill, what have you got to lose by spending £30 on a bottle of Steel seal which might cure it. For me it's a complete no brainer given my admittedly one and only but very successful experience.

Just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter and If it doesn't work you can invoke their money back guarantee.

Well I would say Put a second hand engine in if you Google head gasket failure for a 2ar engine you don't get much info so it obviously not a common problem plus the engine has been around a long time fitted in different toyota and lexus models. I think the previous owner has maybe had a accident or  coolant leak and drove the car with no coolant or low level which has caused the head to warp. If it was a diesel you might of got away with the problem but on a petrol every time the car go's into the red you just making the problem worse. And don't put any additive in the system you may make it worse blocking up the rad heater matrix and egr cooler this is a modern engine not a old basic engine and coolant system. 

• Like 1

If I can afford Lexus to do the job, I think I will go for that. I would rather have the come back to a job done by them, rather than a garage putting in an engine I have sourced. But it will all come down to cost, either way its going to be an expensive bill just before crimbo. 

Not really much point trying the head gasket repair stuff, thanks for the suggestion though. I need my car for work, so can't be waiting for something to go wrong, and at best its only going to put off the inevitable. 

I'll update with the news from Lexus tomorrow.

So Lexus Leeds are doing more investigations, but general consensus is the head gasket has failed. They are just double checking the EGR cooler, in case I happen to have picked up a dud. 

They have been fantastic on the potential repairs, given me a very fair price. Will update once I get it back.

• Like 1