Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My overheating nightmare

I'd bypass the heater matrix and run it for a day before anything else. 

I've seen a few dealers miss the obvious and pull the head only to be no better off. 

And once again don't put additive in the coolant. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Subtronics said:

So Lexus Leeds are doing more investigations, but general consensus is the head gasket has failed. They are just double checking the EGR cooler, in case I happen to have picked up a dud. 

They have been fantastic on the potential repairs, given me a very fair price. Will update once I get it back.

Good news. Hope it gets fixed ok soon. I imagine that Lexus will be keen on the details as it’s clearly not a common problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Waiting on Lexus now, but with Christmas, New Year and I can imagine a delay on parts with the problems on the border, I can't see it coming back to me anytime soon. Hopefully they will have it stripped down before New Year though, so they can report on the state of the head and block. I have been warned if the head is cracked its £2700 for a new one. Not quite sure what I will do if that is the case, but deal with that if it happens. I've been enjoying the top spec ES300h they gave me as a courtesy car, however plush it is on the inside, its definitely no IS. Completely different and I won't be looking to own one in the future. Very comfy cruiser and such a relaxing place to be and the toys are fantastic, but couldn't be less sporty.  

Bit of a funny one that to be honest. So originally they were rubbish at getting back in touch with me when quoting for parts and service requests. So I left a bad review on Google. The head of service saw this and got in touch. They have agreed to diagnose the issue free of charge as a way to say sorry, they also completed some minor works for free. But now they are charging, but at a very reasonable rate. So as it stands I have authorised for the head gasket to be replaced. I am concerned though that if they find any further damage to the engine, that could push the repairs beyond my budget. I guess at that point though, I might have to try go cap in hand to Lexus UK, I know they have no obligation, but if my car is the only one to have had this problem, then surely its a manufacturing fault. Anyway, will cross that bridge when I get there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Subtronics said:

Bit of a funny one that to be honest. So originally they were rubbish at getting back in touch with me when quoting for parts and service requests. So I left a bad review on Google. The head of service saw this and got in touch. They have agreed to diagnose the issue free of charge as a way to say sorry, they also completed some minor works for free. But now they are charging, but at a very reasonable rate. So as it stands I have authorised for the head gasket to be replaced. I am concerned though that if they find any further damage to the engine, that could push the repairs beyond my budget. I guess at that point though, I might have to try go cap in hand to Lexus UK, I know they have no obligation, but if my car is the only one to have had this problem, then surely its a manufacturing fault. Anyway, will cross that bridge when I get there.

Congratulations James. If one tells it as it is with respect, then that is the way to do it.

No one likes to be on the end of providing a less than satisfactory service.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Subtronics said:

Good luck! I’m hoping for a good outcome for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, the IS300h is back. Lexus Leeds charged £768 for the head gasket change. Which I think is a more than fair price. Still come away from the experience feeling a bit let down. Since picking the car up I have noticed that there are a few marks over the car that were not there before and the engine bay hasn't been cleaned after the work or left in a very tidy state. I guess you could argue that I paid less for the service due to the problems I had with customer service to start with, but at the end of the day I am still a customer and have paid out a lot of money for a repair that in my eyes is clearly a manufacturing fault (I know the car is well out of warranty and done nearly 120k, but its been well looked after and I can't find evidence of any other IS300h with a blown head gasket. I know they are under no obligation to fix it and wouldn't expect them to fix it for free). 

Lexus Leeds on a whole were a bit rubbish, it took a damning Google review to get their attention and then as soon as that was removed, they lost interest in helping me. I got offered resolutions to the problem that were then removed and the car went in and out of there shop three times before the issues was resolved. I wouldn't recommend using them and the reason I haven't reported the marks on the car to them, is because frankly I am sick of them and don't want them near my car again. 

I would be ashamed of leaving a work space as messy as them have left my engine bay. Non of the coolant has been cleaned up, there is gasket sealant on other components in the bay. I am sure I can clean it up myself, but if this is the standard of work from a main dealer, then my mind is blown. 

Anyway, I have loved having the car back, its coolant has stayed level since Tuesday afternoon, so that is good news, and I am starting to remember why I bought the car and how much I enjoy driving it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

you've done well James with that price of £768 if the head gasket set is £200 ,a skim £80, new head bolts £100 they havent charged much for labour dont forget you will have a 12month lexus guarantee on the work carried out as well for piece of mind.

enjoy your car and give the engine bay a clean yourself you know its been done properly.

• Like 5

+1

enjoy your car and give the engine bay a clean yourself you know its been done properly.

And you'll reconnect with the car and make it yours again.

Sounds odd I know, but it works for me!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Subtronics said:

So, the IS300h is back. Lexus Leeds charged £768 for the head gasket change. Which I think is a more than fair price. Still come away from the experience feeling a bit let down. Since picking the car up I have noticed that there are a few marks over the car that were not there before and the engine bay hasn't been cleaned after the work or left in a very tidy state. I guess you could argue that I paid less for the service due to the problems I had with customer service to start with, but at the end of the day I am still a customer and have paid out a lot of money for a repair that in my eyes is clearly a manufacturing fault (I know the car is well out of warranty and done nearly 120k, but its been well looked after and I can't find evidence of any other IS300h with a blown head gasket. I know they are under no obligation to fix it and wouldn't expect them to fix it for free). 

Lexus Leeds on a whole were a bit rubbish, it took a damning Google review to get their attention and then as soon as that was removed, they lost interest in helping me. I got offered resolutions to the problem that were then removed and the car went in and out of there shop three times before the issues was resolved. I wouldn't recommend using them and the reason I haven't reported the marks on the car to them, is because frankly I am sick of them and don't want them near my car again. 

I would be ashamed of leaving a work space as messy as them have left my engine bay. Non of the coolant has been cleaned up, there is gasket sealant on other components in the bay. I am sure I can clean it up myself, but if this is the standard of work from a main dealer, then my mind is blown. 

Anyway, I have loved having the car back, its coolant has stayed level since Tuesday afternoon, so that is good news, and I am starting to remember why I bought the car and how much I enjoy driving it. 

Very pleased for you James with what is generally a satisfactory outcome.

I would;

1. check the invoice to make sure that what they said they would do, has in fact been done.

2. Get the Hybrid Battery Check done for £59

3.Keep using Lexus Leeds at least until the 12 month warranty mentioned by Mark below has expired.

4. use the intervening period to locate an alternative source for servicing etc.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links