Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car paint depth gauge

PJ Murphy

If you sign up for detailing world and ask the question there you will definitely get your answer. Many of the guys have brought the simple eBay ones and have been happy with them.

They are a handy thing to have but I have not got one yet. Depends on what you are aiming to get done or do regarding polishing or compounding and to what degree.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks I’ll sign up. First it’s for a hobby then perhaps a small business with my son. I started a paint protection company over 10 years ago and did well from that. I have invested in Rupes equipment and am researching what else will be needed. I also want to bring back my LS460 to look as good as I can make it and enjoy that experience. Many thanks 

There are many out there, and most people who are into detailing will tell that the cheaper ones (sub £500) will only tell you what the total coating thickness.

I have a cheaper(£65) one and use it quite regularly before doing any paint correction. In order to figure how much clear coat I have got to play with I take a reading from either the inner wing or door jambs, I then take that figure from the reading of the panel I want to work on.

The thinking is that the door jambs and inner wings get less top coat that the outer panels.

To date this theory has always worked for me.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Thanks I’ll sign up. First it’s for a hobby then perhaps a small business with my son. I started a paint protection company over 10 years ago and did well from that. I have invested in Rupes equipment and am researching what else will be needed. I also want to bring back my LS460 to look as good as I can make it and enjoy that experience. Many thanks 
Same as me. I'm considering moving into the valeting / detailing business as I'm facing redundancy again. Really want to do something I enjoy for a few years.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links