Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New guy

steve james owen

Hi everyone, đŸ‘‹đŸ»Â 

I'm Steve, and new here and I am looking for a ‘new’ car. All I know for sure is that the car will be a Toyota / Lexus.

My current cars are an old Vectra 1.8 and a BMW 1-Series, 118d but I need something with more room than the 1series, finances are limited due to my wife’s poor health and my redundancy 😬 I do have another job now so all is not lost.

However, as I don’t do many miles I will consider an LS 400/430 or a GS 300 (iS200/250??)
so I’m looking to buy an extremely comfortable car.

writing this ☝ that looks as though I’m deranged, but I need comfort reliability and an automatic gearbox 

can anyone, or everyone please give me advice, is the IS 200 comfortable? What about the IS 250.

I know the GS 300 and the LS 400 are simply great and the 400 is extremely comfortable.

please give me as much advice as you can.

Fuel economy is not too important.

thank you good people.

Hi Steve, the GS's/LS's are more setup on the comfort side than the IS's  but will on depend on your initial buying budget, and running cost budget like insurance, fuel, road tax etc.. although i  owned a first gen IS300 i heard the 200 was not that great on fuel for a 2 litre. the 300 was quiet comfortable but not as comfortable as both my GS's so best to test drive all 3 models IS, GS, LS and see the one you feel more at home with and take things from there.. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure on the budget but I’m looking at about £2500 I guess.

funny you mention the IS200 fuel economy, I heard that with an auto an average 25 mpg was about right and a GS would do 22, LS 19/20 are these figures reasonably accurate for petrol engined cars? I guess a lot depends on the driving and the style of driving.

im going to do some research on running costs, cam belts etc.

thank you for you thoughts. Please keep posting anything you think as relevant.

Hi Steve. I've had 2 is300h and a RX450h and now the most superb is250. As far as comfort goes to me there's no difference between the cars I've had except for one thing. The RX is superb to get in and out of because of it being taller. Handling of the RX was rather good and way better than the anti lexus reviews of the car. Not sure if 2.5k can get a RX400h or a RX300 but it'll get you a decent is250. I can't comment on the is200 or is300 except the 200 looks lovely. Happy hunting for your car. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2020 at 6:39 AM, steve james owen said:

I’m not sure on the budget but I’m looking at about £2500 I guess.

funny you mention the IS200 fuel economy, I heard that with an auto an average 25 mpg was about right and a GS would do 22, LS 19/20 are these figures reasonably accurate for petrol engined cars? I guess a lot depends on the driving and the style of driving.

im going to do some research on running costs, cam belts etc.

thank you for you thoughts. Please keep posting anything you think as relevant.

for a budget of £2500 you could pick late models IS200/IS300's but better to go for IS250's if you can stretch for another £500-£1000 on your budget. benefits if IS250 its more fuel efficient due to being direct injected, its newer compared to gen 1 is200's, its chain driven so no cam belt needs changing. so best to stretch for gen 2 IS or GS.. less previous owners the better

• Thanks 1

IS200's are great, we had one in the family when I was a little whipper snapper but i've never driven one personally. GS and LS are more 'comfy' in general realms. I recently purchased an LS400 and after some sprucing up and mechanical love it will become a daily driver, I have nicknamed it the 'land yacht' and on the very few trips I've made, it has been nothing short of comfy, even the Mrs who is not a car enthusiast was surprised that a mid 90s car could 'waft' around so well! Older cars will have there known gremlins, but the forums will put your right with what to look out for once you've narrowed it down.

• Like 1

Welcome to the LOC Steve. I'm fairly new myself. What i understand from reads on the forum all Lexus vehicles are comfy. Hope you get sorted and best of luck to both of you.

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 10:38 AM, noby76 said:

for a budget of £2500 you could pick late models IS200/IS300's but better to go for IS250's if you can stretch for another £500-£1000 on your budget. benefits if IS250 its more fuel efficient due to being direct injected, its newer compared to gen 1 is200's, its chain driven so no cam belt needs changing. so best to stretch for gen 2 IS or GS.. less previous owners the better

+1. Given the choice I'd go IS250 any day. A much better proposition in comfort, refinement, noise, toys, ride, mpg, etc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links