Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Breakdown cover

First_Lexus

The only thread search brought back on this topic was a poll from 2005, so apologies if it is already under discussion with an alternative title.

My Lexus Assist expires on Boxing Day. In order to renew, they want £125 for the year. AA and RAC are similarly expensive choices.

A quick comparison on Compare the Market shows a host of providers who can provide annual cover - including recovery, home start and a hire car - for about £20, albeit most have an excess of £30. The most obvious choice is Green Flag, but I wondered whether there were any good or bad reviews of some of the others based on the experiences of members. They are;

Rescue my car

Eversure

Start Rescue

Cover my breakdown

18 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

The Lexus Extended Warranty gives you so much more Ed for an average of circa £45 per month.

You have the best vehicle, so why spoil the ship for...............................? 

^^ Indeed, but I don’t need the extended warranty until June next year, so this is a stop gap decision. In addition to that, I’m likely to be wfh at least three days each week even post vaccine as my ‘organisation’ reduces office space. My daily commute is 15 miles each way and I’m starting to wonder if having such an expensive car largely sat on my drive is sensible.

I’m strongly considering a downsize to a small electric vehicle, possibly on a lease. Renault Zoe, VW id3, Hyundai Kona - that sort of thing. May be preferable to spending capital to purchase the car at the end of my PCP, even with my mortgage gone next year. I love my NX but that won’t stop me from looking at all the options and spending carefully (“you aren’t mean, you’re careful” as my Father used to tell me!).

No decision yet. Time for plenty of plot twists...

9 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ Indeed, but I don’t need the extended warranty until June next year, so this is a stop gap decision. In addition to that, I’m likely to be wfh at least three days each week even post vaccine as my ‘organisation’ reduces office space. My daily commute is 15 miles each way and I’m starting to wonder if having such an expensive car largely sat on my drive is sensible.

I’m strongly considering a downsize to a small electric vehicle, possibly on a lease. Renault Zoe, VW id3, Hyundai Kona - that sort of thing. May be preferable to spending capital to purchase the car at the end of my PCP, even with my mortgage gone next year. I love my NX but that won’t stop me from looking at all the options and spending carefully (“you aren’t mean, you’re careful” as my Father used to tell me!).

No decision yet. Time for plenty of plot twists...

Sorry Ed.I was only trying to help, not to open a can of worms !

Enjoy being mortgage free, retirement when it comes, and the Lexus.

• Like 2

some banking accounts have " free " car cover ........  I have RAC full cover ................. and also by virtue of my Nationwide FlexPlus account, they tell me good cover too

Maybe worth checking out !

Malc

5 minutes ago, Malc said:

some banking accounts have " free " car cover ........  I have RAC full cover ................. and also by virtue of my Nationwide FlexPlus account, they tell me good cover too

Malc

I too have two too Sir ! (reminds me of a South African Archbishop ?)

47 minutes ago, Malc said:

Malc

^^ Not mine, unfortunately. I did try a switch a couple of years ago, encouraged by the tv adverts and the ‘guarantee’ but it was such a shambles I ended up cancelling it. First Direct did not cover themselves in glory but at least I got (some) compensation for their incompetence. Ever since I’ve stuck to my standard account, managed at a branch rather than online, and most payments by cheque...

Anyway, I think I’ve decided to go with Green Flag as they have an established reputation and at £20 I can’t really go far wrong - and hopefully with a Lexus I won’t need it other than for reassurance!

We didn't extend warranties, but we did keep the Lexus roadside assist running... it's a high spec AA cover and AA themselves couldn't match the price... now we have 2x Lexus int he family, we've only needed them a few times (radio issue with door key on mine and wrong fuel in my wife's... as usually, once the AA turn up they are brilliant. 

may need to review the position once my son starts driving... hopefully a small Toyota  (if he wants a Lexus, he can pay for it himself!)

I can't recommend the LRA/AA cover highly enough. The fact that it covers any vehicle you're driving or you're a passenger in is reason enough for me to continue renewing. It also covers another member of my household ie my wife. I also like the fact that it's a dedicated AA patrol that comes out. On the 4 or 5 times I've had to call on them they've been particularly courteous, efficient and knowledgeable.

19 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

I can't recommend the LRA/AA cover highly enough. The fact that it covers any vehicle you're driving or you're a passenger in is reason enough for me to continue renewing. It also covers another member of my household ie my wife. I also like the fact that it's a dedicated AA patrol that comes out. On the 4 or 5 times I've had to call on them they've been particularly courteous, efficient and knowledgeable.

I endorse all that Richie has said, but I had to inform Lexus of my wife`s details so they could add her to the policy.

Whatever company you go with look to see if they appear on Quidco or top cash back. Breakdown cover usually has big cash back offers, you can sometimes even find they are paying you to take out a policy!

Also double check when your cover ends. Lexus extended mine by a few months for free due to Covid-19, which was rather nice of them. 

16 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Can't quite work out how your breakdown cover finishes on boxing day but extended warranty doesn't start until June 🤔

^^ That’s a very good point! Lexus sent me an email to say it expires on 26th December, but the car isn’t three years old until June 2021! Have checked the card and correct date is shown, so clearly a gremlin in the Lexus system somewhere...will give them a call to make sure they update their systems. Can’t really imagine how a mistake like that would happen, most odd. The email quoted the correct vehicle and registration too. 

That’s something to strike from the list 😄

43 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ That’s a very good point! Lexus sent me an email to say it expires on 26th December, but the car isn’t three years old until June 2021! Have checked the card and correct date is shown, so clearly a gremlin in the Lexus system somewhere...will give them a call to make sure they update their systems. Can’t really imagine how a mistake like that would happen, most odd. The email quoted the correct vehicle and registration too. 

That’s something to strike from the list 😄

A smart a*** salesman looking for commission ?

I do like a happy ending. There was an error on the computer at Lexus related to my previous NX, essentially they still thought I owned it and it has the same private plate. My cover does run to June 2021 - well, actually September 2021 as it is extended by three months because of COVID.

Happy days!

• Like 3

Excellent news! 😀

I sometimes wonder at the I drive a Lexus because they’re reliable and never break down but I must have a warranty and breakdown cover argument. I’m pretty sure I’m going to run mine without a warranty or breakdown cover when mine expires next July. I might well regret it and it’s not something I’ve ever done before.

6 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I do like a happy ending. There was an error on the computer at Lexus related to my previous NX, essentially they still thought I owned it and it has the same private plate. My cover does run to June 2021 - well, actually September 2021 as it is extended by three months because of COVID.

Happy days!

I've just had a similar issue sorting out warranty because of an error when I purchased my current car plus a private plate confusion. The 5 ladies in the team at the warranty company are extremely friendly and helpful. 

• Like 1