Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I struggle reversing out of a narrow drive in the dark. I have the rear lights with the “L” shaped reverse lights. They are not very bright and was considering wiring in a pair of LED daylight lamps under the number plate to come on when they do. OR is there a better lamp that will fit and not melt my lenses?

Mine is also awful, but I found the camera is excellent in the dark.. doesn't yours have the camera?  (can't remember what year they came in, but SE-L used to be a high spec)

to improve light, might be worth seeing if there is a LED bulb replacement, but higher output.    

I'm confused about you having L shaped reversing lights. Has your car got aftermarket rear lights like the Vland? I find my reversing lights are quite good in the dark. 

Have you tried reversing into your drive when its lighter outside? It'll be easier when its dark to drive out.

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

I'm confused about you having L shaped reversing lights. Has your car got aftermarket rear lights like the Vland

L-finesse design of tail-lights came in 2009.

Mike - I am sorry to sound obvious, but you should not be reversing into main road from driveway, it is extremely annoying and dangerous.  I know that is not exactly your question, but the best practice would be to reverse into the driveway when you park so that when you need to leave you can have front of your car forwards. That is as well compliant with highway code:

Rule 201:
Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.

Your idea of having powerful light on the back of your car may be MOT failure, so perhaps better idea is to have lights fitted near the exit of your driveway and not on your car (that is if you insist reversing out of the driveway).

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

L-finesse design of tail-lights came in 2009.

Mike - I am sorry to sound obvious, but you should not be reversing into main road from driveway, it is extremely annoying and dangerous.  I know that is not exactly your question, but the best practice would be to reverse into the driveway when you park so that when you need to leave you can have front of your car forwards. That is as well compliant with highway code:

Your idea of having powerful light on the back of your car may be MOT failure, so perhaps better idea is to have lights fitted near the exit of your driveway and not on your car (that is if you insist reversing out of the driveway).

thanks for the lesson but i am also having the problem reversing into the narrow drive in the dark. 

20 hours ago, markeyszoo said:

I struggle reversing out of a narrow drive in the dark.

Sorry, I am sure you already knew what I said, however I didn't assume it - that is what you said. I actually double cheeked it whenever you said "in" or "out" before making the comment.

Regardless, my suggestion would remain the same - get yourself a light with motion detention somewhere convenient to fit on the driveway and it will light it-up. Modifying light on the car will be more difficult. 

I was going to say just the same as Linas  in that getting a motion detection outside light fitted. Very good security tool plus you'll see any obstacles. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2020 at 7:40 PM, markeyszoo said:

I struggle reversing out of a narrow drive in the dark. I have the rear lights with the “L” shaped reverse lights. They are not very bright and was considering wiring in a pair of led daylight lamps under the number plate to come on when they do. OR is there a better lamp that will fit and not melt my lenses?

I just seen this add on facebook for super bright LED reverse lights

https://www.facebook.com/110369630821722/posts/162428048949213/