Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

DRCC with Road Sign Assist

e-yes

Hi,

During the test drive I was not able to successfully test DRCC with Road Sign Assist feature. As per the manual

image.thumb.png.3fc1ec3161c74e72fc1b0c1383bafd44.png

Has anyone tried this in their ES (or other LSS+ 2.0 equipped car) ? Is it responsive enough to be useful or break/accelerate to desired speed and -SET is a better reaction ?

Thanks,

--E

On my RX adaptive cruise control and LKA work fine, and car can also come to a complete stop if necessary, very useful.

Road sign recognition works too, and in my opinion is just a reminder for the driver that should already know signs by himself. It does not affect the car speed, but you can see from it if you are driving in respect of limits of you have exceeded them (signal gets red).

On my UX the adaptive cruise control or dynamic radar cruise control as lexus call it works very good its a bit of a revelation actually never had this on a vehicle before. You can set the distance between the vehicle in front before the radar cruise starts to slow the vehicle, it really is very good you can also choose to use non radar cruise if you so wish. The RSA also works to show you what speed limit your in etc. i agree with what Luigi has posted above.

27 minutes ago, ALAW said:

The RSA also works to show you what speed limit your in etc

hi Alaw and Luigi,

Thanks for your responses.

Have you also tried the operation detailed in the owners' manual screenshot I posted ? When RSA detects a speed limit and DRCC is turned on, it is possible to directly feed the new speed limit to DRCC.

I wasn't able to test this feature on my test drive but would like to know from users who have been using this feature how is the response.

Cheers,

--E

36 minutes ago, e-yes said:

hi Alaw and Luigi,

Thanks for your responses.

Have you also tried the operation detailed in the owners' manual screenshot I posted ? When RSA detects a speed limit and DRCC is turned on, it is possible to directly feed the new speed limit to DRCC.

I wasn't able to test this feature on my test drive but would like to know from users who have been using this feature how is the response.

Cheers,

--E

I don't know not explored this as yet.

Speed limit is only a reading help, you can vary cruise speed by large steps (5 km/h here) to set speed accordingly to sign. Besides, if you are in queue speed is already set by preceding vehicle so you may ignore the procedure.

Yes Luigi here in the UK on the DRCC you can higher or lower your MPH in increments of 5mph. That was a suprise to me having never driven a vehicle with DRCC i thought it would have been like any other vehicle in the normal cruise set up when you press the plus or minus button it would move by 1 mph.

I think the question is that if, for example, you are going from a 40 zone to a 60 zone and the car recognizes the sign saying 60, you should be able to move from 40 to 60 merely my holding (and, implicitly, then releasing) the "+" button. It should know to go from 40 to specifically 60.

To answer the question, no, I haven't been able to get it to work; but then, conversely, I've struggled to find when I would ever have any use for it.

I wonder if the requirement is for the sign specifically to have been caught by the road sign recognition system rather than just assumed by the sat-nav? I just don't know. Like I say, it doesn't bother me at all, but it's a fun side point!

37 minutes ago, Ian J. Parsley said:

I think the question is that if, for example, you are going from a 40 zone to a 60 zone and the car recognizes the sign saying 60, you should be able to move from 40 to 60 merely my holding (and, implicitly, then releasing) the "+" button. It should know to go from 40 to specifically 60.

To answer the question, no, I haven't been able to get it to work; but then, conversely, I've struggled to find when I would ever have any use for it.

I wonder if the requirement is for the sign specifically to have been caught by the road sign recognition system rather than just assumed by the sat-nav? I just don't know. Like I say, it doesn't bother me at all, but it's a fun side point!

hi Ian,

Yes you got the question perfectly 👍

And it is in the context where the camera picks the speed limit and shows an alert.

The sat-nav linked speed limits are available in LSS A+ (which in UK is only available on LS I believe) in that the car will basically reduce/increase the speed on it's own without needing driver inputs.

The standard LSS in ES (which I personally think is better implementation i.e. keep the driver involved when any driving parameters change) has this RSA linkage where a speed limit change is displayed to the driver and the driver can "allegedly" pass on that information to DRCC by long press.

I was not able to test that feature. Hence the question as to how well it actually responds. And it is more relevant when speed limit goes down i.e. from 60 to 40 and the driver is indeed able to long press the "-" button, how "well behaved" the speed reduction is.

Cheers,

--E

The answer why it is not possible an automatic setting of max speed accordingly to signal recognition is that there are many reason that make this not a good choice: a fault in reading  could make sudden and not explicable slowing in car speed, for example for a forgotten sign on road or also a wrong recognition of a sign on the rear of a truck and so on, so better leave the choice to human driver. Besides, at least where I live, speed limits most of the time are not so logical, while they are more coherent in Germany, i.e.

hi Zotto,

It is very much possible and I know for sure that Audi semi-autonomous system will increase and decrease the speed using it's camera based speed limit recognition. And also will slow the car down when entering a bend/turn based on the sat-nav data. It will also produce a vibration on the accelerator pedal to suggest to the driver they may not be driving economically.

However Audi has other issues which you will see if you visit Audi owners forum for A6 8th generation. I know as I was about to order an A6 but that car in the latest generation is beset with such issues which should never be faced by an owner at the price point that car is being offered. I currently have the 7th gen A6 and I could not believe that a newer iteration of the car is suffering from so many issues. Anyways, let's not digress...

Cheers,

--E

Here's my experience

• Yes it does work! I believe you need to make sure it's enabled. Look at the menu screen where you can turn the various driver assist features on and off - towards the end of the list (on the second page on mine) there is an option DRCC (RSA) or similar
  • When radar cruise control is engaged, if the set speed is different from the perceived speed limit (see next point) there is a green box shown around the speed limit icon along with an up or down arrow.  Pressing and holding the speed up or speed down button ("long press" mentioned by e-yes) will change the set speed to that new value
  • My experience is that the speed limit recognition isn't that accurate. I think it starts by considering values from the nav database - which may be out of date to begin with - but then this is overridden if the camera sees a different sign. However there a few places around where I live that it gives a totally inaccurate value. Examples include
    • Consistently reporting 10 mph in the centre of a village (standard urban speed limit of 30 mph applicable)
    • On approach to another village, where the speed limit is 60 mph (national limit for a rural road) there is a sign about 200 yards before the change to 30 mph warning of the pending change. It has a black circle around the "30" rather than a red one signifying a statutory change. This is consistently picked up as a change to 30 mph during the daytime, at night it is not picked up.
    • In a nearby city where there is a tram, speed limits for the trams are posted in kph using a diamond sign. On a shared urban road guess what the ES reports the speed limit as? - yep 50 mph!!
  • From what I remember the automatic speed up/down isn't a particularly rapid adjustment

On the topic of the ± 5 mph adjustments yes it seems an oddity. If you press and hold the "cruise on/off" switch (top right of the buttons on the right of the steering wheel) you get "traditional" speed-based cruise control which can then be adjusted in 1 mph values!

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

For the record, I turned this function on but soon turned it off again because it added an incredibly annoying audible warning every time you head downhill.

Upon the speed rising by 2mph (even if you are below the limit), it decides to warn you by sounding the alarm. I can find no way to turn this off.

I took delivery of my ES last week. As with the lockdown and what not, I have only driven it locally.

I have this feature enabled, I don't mind the beep really, however as The Doctor mentioned in his description, I am noticing the car declaring a 30mph zone as 20mph one, i.e. not totally accurate. However, it is rather convenient tbh (if one can tolerate the bleeping beep)

Cheers,

--E

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I was playing around with the settings and noticed this...

IMG_4116.thumb.png.b11e3492f1d67772ab735d30de9790c4.png

It is possible to (in theory) get rid of the loud beep. I haven't yet driven the car with those settings but I think that should get rid of the beep.

Also, I switched to the brown/copper theme from the default blue and have to say, it suits the overall look and feel of the car as I have black interior and grey Shimamoku.

IMG_4117.thumb.png.054392adcc1538cd52170dd60ea2afaa.png

Use the d-pad left/right to reach the Settings page (Cog/Gear icon)

Then use the d-pad up/down to scroll down till you get to the RSA section.

It's in there.

(User manual Page 329 and then follow on to Page 570)

Cheers,

--E

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 7:35 PM, e-yes said:

I took delivery of my ES last week. As with the lockdown and what not, I have only driven it locally.

I have this feature enabled, I don't mind the beep really, however as The Doctor mentioned in his description, I am noticing the car declaring a 30mph zone as 20mph one, i.e. not totally accurate. However, it is rather convenient tbh (if one can tolerate the bleeping beep)

Cheers,

--E

There is one road i go down. In one direction it shows 20 in the opposite direction same place it shows 30 ?

• 1 year later...
On 12/9/2020 at 9:53 AM, ALAW said:

Yes Luigi here in the UK on the DRCC you can higher or lower your MPH in increments of 5mph. That was a suprise to me having never driven a vehicle with DRCC i thought it would have been like any other vehicle in the normal cruise set up when you press the plus or minus button it would move by 1 mph.

This 5 mph/kph increment thing is a crazy & downright dangerous Europe only “feature’”. Everyone else gets the sensible 1 mph increments. Toyota obviously misread an EU law.

• Like 1