Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Hi all

Picked up my new car last week and now doing some detailing.  Surprised to see minor corrosion under the bonnet of a 3 year old, 14k mile car.  Is this unusual? Anyone experienced the same. Please see pics.  All easily corrected but maybe a result of aggressive cleaners and poor rinsing/drying.  The strut tops are particularly disturbing. The one former owner was a lady school teacher who apparently never lifted the bonnet!

Regards to all.

20201208_095059.jpg

20201208_095042.jpg

20201208_094957.jpg

20201208_094943.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit disappointed seeing the suspension tops rusted, the aluminium will always go a bit powdery.. I use ACF50 on bits like that. Protects and makes it look like new. It would seem the car has been sitting around a fair bit with only 14k in 3 years. Where did the previous owner live? Near the coast...

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inazone said:

A bit disappointed seeing the suspension tops rusted, the aluminium will always go a bit powdery.. I use ACF50 on bits like that. Protects and makes it look like new. It would seem the car has been sitting around a fair bit with only 14k in 3 years. Where did the previous owner live? Near the coast...

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk
 

Yep, Torpoint in Cornwall and I am 70 yards from the sea so lots of protection and care needed like I did with my is250

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Brechin Slate said:

The one former owner was a lady school teacher who apparently never lifted the bonnet

 

 

 

 

It's a Lexus. The expectation is that you will never need to lift the bonnet. Other than to top up the washer fluid :-)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi yes I have seen this on many different cars ,I think it arises from using 2nd rate car cleaning companies who buy the cheapest products to boost profits  .Some of the detergents used are really aggressive and the alkaline nature really attacks aluminium alloys, some of the wheel cleaners are basically concrete cleaning products which attack the cast iron discs and brake callipers .If the residue of these solutions is left under bonnets ,boots etc they will corrode .I always wash my own car ,use good quality products rinse throughly and open and dry off bonnet and boot surrounds and door shuts ,If you think I am being a bit sceptical put your aluminium saucepans and cheap Chinese stainless knives in the dish washer for a few cycles and see the results .Another vote for A C F-50 from me

Dave

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sea air and a lack of cleaning under the bonnet for me I think. Nothing that a few hours under the bonnet won’t fix. Look forward to seeing the ‘after’ photos 😀

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, it's going to get a proper sorting, the rest of the car is immaculate, I'm not going to let this detract from the overall condition.  May as well do the is250 at the same time, someone will be a lucky new owner 👍🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a few hours on my hands between showers today so opened up a can of whup ***** and did a bit of tidying under the bonnet.  No special cleaning stuff used, just a fine finishing pad, toothbrush, a damp rag and some paint I found in the garage.  Not concours but good for a 3 year old car that has always lived by the seaside.  Waiting for the ACF-50 to arrive so I can give everything a mist coat.

 

Nearside strut top.jpg

Offside strut top.jpg

ECU Cover.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

One final pic, finished the underbonnet clean.  Next job is to clay the roof to try and remove a couple of guano induced etchings.  Also badly packed boot yesterday, Christmas shopping made a bid for freedom and a bottle of lime cordial disgorged its contents.  Smells lovely but hoping that 1kg of silica gel will dry out the cleaned residue 🙂

20201217_105914.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brechin Slate said:

One final pic, finished the underbonnet clean.  Next job is to clay the roof to try and remove a couple of guano induced etchings.  Also badly packed boot yesterday, Christmas shopping made a bid for freedom and a bottle of lime cordial disgorged its contents.  Smells lovely but hoping that 1kg of silica gel will dry out the cleaned residue 🙂

20201217_105914.jpg

Can you tell me what cleaners you used for the under bonnet area please.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Can you tell me what cleaners you used for the under bonnet area please.

I had 2 hand held spray bottles, the trigger type you use for your plants. In one was Muc Off diluted 50/50 which I use on my mountain bike, the other was just cold tap water.  I had an old toothbrush, a small brass wire brush for the rusty bits, a few microfibre cloths and Car Plan trim wax plastic shine for all the rubber and black plastic bits. Finally a brown scotchbrite type pad for the aluminium. Just that, 2 hours and a bit of elbow grease.  I didn't want any water going near the electrics or where I wouldn't be able to dry it so didn't use a hose or pressure washer. I did one side at a time. I'm now waiting for some ACF-50 to arrive so I can give everything a mist coat.  Hope that helps

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Brechin Slate said:

I had 2 hand held spray bottles, the trigger type you use for your plants. In one was Muc Off diluted 50/50 which I use on my mountain bike, the other was just cold tap water.  I had an old toothbrush, a small brass wire brush for the rusty bits, a few microfibre cloths and Car Plan trim wax plastic shine for all the rubber and black plastic bits. Finally a brown scotchbrite type pad for the aluminium. Just that, 2 hours and a bit of elbow grease.  I didn't want any water going near the electrics or where I wouldn't be able to dry it so didn't use a hose or pressure washer. I did one side at a time. I'm now waiting for some ACF-50 to arrive so I can give everything a mist coat.  Hope that helps

Perfect thanks 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Brechin Slate said:

 I didn't want any water going near the electrics or where I wouldn't be able to dry it so didn't use a hose or pressure washer.

That reminds me of a neighbour many years ago. I saw him get a new pressure washer out of his boot then wash all his slabs, then the car. When he opened his bonnet, I thought to myself "should I.....?" but didn't. I'm sure that the AA man complimented him on how clean and shiny his engine was.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership