Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help me buy a Lexus Rx - Why the Lexus RX450 H (L) instead of a Q7, X5 or XC90?

Hi there folks,

So I'm thinking about dropping some money on a RX450 H L Takumi for the clan to cruise round in. I have  test drive booked this week. I'm going for the L due to family expansion.

I sat in one over the weekend and liked it a lot.

So here are some questions for you RX loving folks that may help me refine my decision making. I'm currently driving a 2018 Merc E220 Saloon with all the Self Driving stuff.

What's the ride like. My Merc is very smooth, the German cars all have air suspension and are smooth too and the XC90 was buttery.

How does the RX fair? I noted that the previous models had Air Suspension as standard but the new ones got rid of it in favour some "adaptive suspension" with advanced tech though still based on coils. Does it matter? How would you describe the ride in yours.

This leads to my next question - I do a lot of long distance M-way driving, how does these cars cope with our rubbish tarmac?

For those of you who got an L - you're a rare breed I see from the sales figures - how do the back seats work? Are they big enough and roomy enough for regular use?

If you have kids - how do you cope with car seats? How does it cope with big families

Lastly , that infotainment system - bearing on mind I'm dropping in from a Dual Screen top level Mercedes system - I do have reservations about. .The 12inch screen is lovely, but it does feel like its a mid-2000 car. The Q7 has dual screens now as they've got rid of the rising screen in the dash and gone full Q8 style panels. The BMW is closest in terms of looks but has an integrated screen not one that sits out. Both of those system haven't got that mouse pad/ joystick thing. Some of the switch gear felt a bit mid 2000s as well to be honest.

I'm not too bothered about it but I intend to keep this car for a long time and I don't want to be cursing the infotainment every day because I don't like it. I had an early BMW i-drive car and dear God I detested that thing

Thank you all for your time, and I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this.

Yours

A

I suggest you to read last topics about RX to have a general picture.

About L version, it has been created from "normal length" RX to satisfy request for 7 seats and it seems a bit less likeable than RX, it's up to your needs the choice of more seats losing boot space and with less comfy rear interiors. If not so necessary I would go for 5 seats and Premier or Sport version with ML audio, now available with android auto.

Former Merc E250 convertible owner (c220 before). 

Now driving my 4th Lexus since 2016. Until lockdown 500+ miles a week. 

Lexus RX450h rides wonderfully with the adaptive suspension. 

Much better build quality than the Germans 

• Like 2

Q5 and Q7 have a lot of reliability issues.  Check it out this is just one https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-most-common-audi-q7-problems-owners-complain-about/

X5 has unliked run flats

Mercedes have class actions pending due to crabbing  largely put down to transmission change for RHD- research it.

XC90 a 4 cyl compared to RX 450h 6 cyl.

RX450h Nice inside but many consider ugly externally particularly with overblown grille.

Jag F Pace plug in Hybrid looks really nice but reliability uncertain as yet. https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/f-pace/hybrid/index.html

• Like 1

I’ve definitely appreciated the quality of my Lexus the longer I’ve owned it. Usually with cars I find it the other way around, although my Hondas were similar in that respect.

From a reliability perspective, how long you intend to keep the car makes a difference. Yes, the German brands have some big reliability issues (believe me I know from experience!) but if you only intend to keep a car for 2-3 years under warranty then these should be less of a concern. However, if you’re looking at longer term ownership it is a massive consideration.

The latest Volvo models are lovely, I’m seriously impressed. Worth noting though that I know a couple of owners who have had quality issues. Nothing too major - no breakdowns - but issues that make me question the depth of the build. Poor fitting panels, rattles inside at low mileages, freezing infotainment, easily marked plastics and both had issues with the fuel filler that I believe required a new pipe (may have been a recall, not sure).

The good news is that both reported excellent customer care from Volvo in sorting the issues quickly, with a bunch of flowers delivered to one of my friends who had to leave her brand new £50k Volvo at the dealer for a week to get all the bugs sorted out. 

Good luck making a choice!

59 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I’ve definitely appreciated the quality of my Lexus the longer I’ve owned it. Usually with cars I find it the other way around, although my Hondas were similar in that respect.

I fully agree with this statement. You have to have actually owned a Lexus to fully appreciate how good they are.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Q5 and Q7 have a lot of reliability issues.  Check it out this is just one https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-most-common-audi-q7-problems-owners-complain-about/

X5 has unliked run flats

Mercedes have class actions pending due to crabbing  largely put down to transmission change for RHD- research it.

XC90 a 4 cyl compared to RX 450h 6 cyl.

RX450h Nice inside but many consider ugly externally particularly with overblown grille.

Jag F Pace plug in Hybrid looks really nice but reliability uncertain as yet. https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/f-pace/hybrid/index.html

That`s a great post Barry. A comprehensive destruction of the so-called competition.

I will certainly support any application you might make for the post of Lexus Worldwide Marketing Supremo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

From a reliability perspective, how long you intend to keep the car makes a difference. Yes, the German brands have some big reliability issues (believe me I know from experience!) but if you only intend to keep a car for 2-3 years under warranty then these should be less of a concern. However, if you’re looking at longer term ownership it is a massive consideration.

The latest Volvo models are lovely, I’m seriously impressed. Worth noting though that I know a couple of owners who have had quality issues. Nothing too major - no breakdowns - but issues that make me question the depth of the build. Poor fitting panels, rattles inside at low mileages, freezing infotainment, easily marked plastics and both had issues with the fuel filler that I believe required a new pipe (may have been a recall, not sure).

The good news is that both reported excellent customer care from Volvo in sorting the issues quickly, with a bunch of flowers delivered to one of my friends who had to leave her brand new £50k Volvo at the dealer for a week to get all the bugs sorted out. 

Good luck making a choice!

ED, were the flowers of the Triffids variety ?  :):)

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I fully agree with this statement. You have to have actually owned a Lexus to fully appreciate how good they are.

And even then one discovers something that one overlooked in the Handbook or just didn`t know e.g. the boot lock switch in the glovebox ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I always thought of the Volvo XC90 as being a reliable car until I read this-

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8722609/The-UKs-unreliable-car-VOLVO.html

Volvos aint wot they used to be. 740,850,940 series have long gone. They aint Volvos today except by name.

Others have said what you need to know about the RX. All I would add is to try and get the car for the weekend for the test drive. Driving a hybrid is a different experience and you need more than a 20 min session to appreciate its advantages. I always thought RX hybrids were a waste of time, until I was loaned one for 3 weeks while my GSF was awaiting a windscreen. By the end of the 3 weeks I was converted and I now have one.

• Like 3

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies

14 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Former Merc E250 convertible owner (c220 before). 

Now driving my 4th Lexus since 2016. Until lockdown 500+ miles a week. 

Lexus RX450h rides wonderfully with the adaptive suspension. 

Much better build quality than the Germans 

Would you say the ride is equal to cars with air suspension?

How loud the road / wind noise? I found the XC90 very good on the noise front.

45 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

Others have said what you need to know about the RX. All I would add is to try and get the car for the weekend for the test drive. Driving a hybrid is a different experience and you need more than a 20 min session to appreciate its advantages. I always thought RX hybrids were a waste of time, until I was loaned one for 3 weeks while my GSF was awaiting a windscreen. By the end of the 3 weeks I was converted and I now have one.

Thanks 08iSF, I won't get it for a weekend or longer than an hour. I've driven electic cars and hybrid before so it won't be too much of a surprise

Please could you tell me what the main factors that encouraged you to buy the RX? I'm new to this, so what is a GSF?

I'm in the position of wanting to change my BMW X3 and the RX is high on the list - no, top of the list. I haven't sat in one yet, I've seen a couple, read lots and I'm still convinced its the way to go.
I've considered about every option, but the one thing that it comes down to is reliability and running costs. Quality tyre costs for an RX on a well known online retailer are the same as my wife's CHR. The BMW we are being offered has 20" wheels, run flats and nearly £100 a corner more expensive. My X3 uses a set a year at the moment, that's £1k a year inBMW tyres alone which balances out the slightly higher rate of servicing at Lexus.

I think the other 'premium brand' cars are great if you are a company driver, or change the car every three years or less so always have a warranty to cover you. The forums don't instil confidence of longevity and as much as I wanted to keep my X3 when we bought it, my confidence levels are diminished, even though it only has 36k on it.

I'm still looking, planning and keeping my options open. I've always been a keen driver and when I could afford it, bought cars I enjoy to drive (including 6 BMWs, a Subaru and the screaming 16v Vauxhalls of the 80's and 90's). Those days are over (according to my wife) and my glimmer of hope of changing her CHR for a Yaris GR have gone. I have to accept, the days have come for comfort, driver assist functions, safety and reliability 👴

Stay safe and well everyone.

39 minutes ago, Osprey said:

I'm in the position of wanting to change my BMW X3 and the RX is high on the list - no, top of the list. I haven't sat in one yet, I've seen a couple, read lots and I'm still convinced its the way to go.
I've considered about every option, but the one thing that it comes down to is reliability and running costs. Quality tyre costs for an RX on a well known online retailer are the same as my wife's CHR. The BMW we are being offered has 20" wheels, run flats and nearly £100 a corner more expensive. My X3 uses a set a year at the moment, that's £1k a year inBMW tyres alone which balances out the slightly higher rate of servicing at Lexus.

I think the other 'premium brand' cars are great if you are a company driver, or change the car every three years or less so always have a warranty to cover you. The forums don't instil confidence of longevity and as much as I wanted to keep my X3 when we bought it, my confidence levels are diminished, even though it only has 36k on it.

I'm still looking, planning and keeping my options open. I've always been a keen driver and when I could afford it, bought cars I enjoy to drive (including 6 BMWs, a Subaru and the screaming 16v Vauxhalls of the 80's and 90's). Those days are over (according to my wife) and my glimmer of hope of changing her CHR for a Yaris GR have gone. I have to accept, the days have come for comfort, driver assist functions, safety and reliability 👴

Stay safe and well everyone.

Andrew, Have you seen this ?   

34 minutes ago, Osprey said:

I have Roy. Carwow is on the house fav list and yep, this is one which I saw and helped me change direction.

OK,Andrew if you stop cutting us all up, stop blasting horns, , indicate when necessary, display good road manners at all times and follow the Highway Code, and read the Handbook we would be delighted to receive you old Bean  :):):)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, AlternativeLUX said:

How loud the road / wind noise? I found the XC90 very good on the noise front.

In the past I've owned a Peugeot 407 Coupe and Jaguar XF, both which I thought were quiet cars, but in my opinion the RX takes it to another level. I think the fact the 407 and XF were diesels and the RX isn't may have had something to do with it, but all 3 had/have double glazed windscreens/front windows, which certainly makes a difference at motorway speeds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlternativeLUX said:

Thanks 08iSF, I won't get it for a weekend or longer than an hour. I've driven electic cars and hybrid before so it won't be too much of a surprise

Please could you tell me what the main factors that encouraged you to buy the RX? I'm new to this, so what is a GSF?

I should try for the longer test drive if I were you. Lexus were offering 24 hour test drives on the RX a while ago, and bearing in mind that we are in the run up to Christmas, and near the end of a very poor quarter when targets may not have been met, I shouldn't be surprised if they are cooperative.

Main factor that encouraged purchase was I actually enjoy driving it. It's quiet and smooth and the big wheels just ride over most of the potholes and it will carry a considerable amount of stuff when you go to the dump. I don't need such a big car but I like it, and the hybrid drive train suits my driving style. And it's a Lexus, with the attendant build quality and reliability.

The GSF was Lexus' answer to the BMW M5. Very fast and wonderful noise but irrelevant in an urban area where you have a 20mph blanket speed limit, speed humps, potholes etc. I just ended up frustrated and irritated every time I drove it.

17 minutes ago, 08ISF said:

I should try for the longer test drive if I were you. Lexus were offering 24 hour test drives on the RX a while ago, and bearing in mind that we are in the run up to Christmas, and near the end of a very poor quarter when targets may not have been met, I shouldn't be surprised if they are cooperative.

^^ In terms of a test drive, I totally agree with this. A friend of mine was considering an RX last year and a test drive of at least 24 hours and up to a week was offered. If a dealer believes you are a serious buyer they’ll do whatever it takes, especially Lexus as they are confident about their product.

As an aside, the friend liked the RX but - oddly - not the ‘image’ (whatever that means). They bought a Range Rover Velar instead, and predictably they’ve recently got it back after an extended stay with the dealer fixing an unspecified ‘serious engine fault.’ 😂

• Like 2

I had a new XC90 nearly two years ago. For a large family it's the better car as far a space and practicality goes.

BUT
I successfully rejected it due to numerous faults, including engine warning / emissions lights and multiple electrical problems. I had use of the managers XC90 more than I used my own. Also the diesel 2.0 4 cyclinder is a bit of clattery unit which although plenty powerful enough doesn't suit the nature of the car. Except for inferior rear seats and poor infortainment system, the RX is a better car. Volvo although slow, accepted the rejection and we came to an agreement.

PS Be aware the 7 seater RX cannot be fitted with a towbar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WipeOut said:

I had a new XC90 nearly two years ago. For a large family it's the better car as far a space and practicality goes.

BUT
I successfully rejected it due to numerous faults, including engine warning / emissions lights and multiple electrical problems. I had use of the managers XC90 more than I used my own. Also the diesel 2.0 4 cyclinder is a bit of clattery unit which although plenty powerful enough doesn't suit the nature of the car. Except for inferior rear seats and poor infortainment system, the RX is a better car. Volvo although slow, accepted the rejection and we came to an agreement.

PS Be aware the 7 seater RX cannot be fitted with a towbar.

Hi WipeOut (Nigel), ,

You seem to be in the same boat as me to be honest. I can't be dealing with unreliability. My family is young so if I can convince one MiniPerson to sit in the back on long journeys its a win.

I notice the Lexus have upgraded the new RX to a better infotainment system with Android Auto support ( though it , frustratingly uses some of the screen as opposed to apple going full screen.

Which XC90 did you have? Did it have the Touring Chassis? How does the ride and handling compare? How do road and noise levels compare?

Al