Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

07 GS450H help with code and issue

I have a 07 GS450H thats throwing the code P3176 

It says it the oil pump temp low and its not allowing the hybrid system to come on it is also followed by C1259 and C1310 codes please help 

Hi Samuel.

The code P3176 is caused by a temperature sensor in the transmission oil pump. This is probably caused by a short or open circuit in the wiring. The pump is an external electrically driven unit on the outside of the transmission on the drivers side.
The other two codes are for regen malfunction of the HV system, and HV system malfunction. These could be related to the oil pump problem.

John.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Hi Samuel.

The code P3176 is caused by a temperature sensor in the transmission oil pump. This is probably caused by a short or open circuit in the wiring. The pump is an external electrically driven unit on the outside of the transmission on the drivers side.
The other two codes are for regen malfunction of the HV system, and HV system malfunction. These could be related to the oil pump problem.

John.

Hello John

Thats what I was thinking and the pump looks corroded externally I don't think it has any issue with the actual control module itself as its receiving 12 volts nominally at the pump itself I figured its an internal issue.

What would be the best way to diagnose the issue before replacing the pump itself?

Also is there anyway to check the transmission fluid level I was wondering if it was also low as a fault 

The way to check the oil level is by removing the fill plug, and filling till oil spills out.

The pump can be removed from under the car. The main problem with the pump is bearing failure, and a new pump is £2500, but the bearings are standard ball races that can be bought for under £5.
The bearing numbers I will Check for you from my files, and let you know later.

John.

• Like 1

If it looks corroded externally... you don't really want to know how it is on the inside. As John said - the other two are most likely due to the pump.

Anyways - the hardest part about removing the pump is (at least in my opinion) removing the harness - it connects straight to the oil pump controller, which is under the air filter box.

Re: bearings - you might want to read through this: https://club-lexus(blocked word)/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103591&start=0

I changed both bearings and while the shift speed is definitely better, the pump does still make "bearings" noises when sufficiently hot (i.e. in summer weather, after some highway time at 140kph ~= 85mph).

I'd get a second hand pump and refurbish it beforehand if you want to minimize your downtime, for whatever reason. Otherwise, start with the simple stuff.

Info on the transmission (including fill procedure): https://slideplayer.com/slide/14432904/

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Britprius said:

The way to check the oil level is by removing the fill plug, and filling till oil spills out.

The pump can be removed from under the car. The main problem with the pump is bearing failure, and a new pump is £2500, but the bearings are standard ball races that can be bought for under £5.
The bearing numbers I will Check for you from my files, and let you know later.

John.

Ty sir 

1 hour ago, Lwerewolf said:

If it looks corroded externally... you don't really want to know how it is on the inside. As John said - the other two are most likely due to the pump.

Anyways - the hardest part about removing the pump is (at least in my opinion) removing the harness - it connects straight to the oil pump controller, which is under the air filter box.

Re: bearings - you might want to read through this: https://club-lexus(blocked word)/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103591&start=0

I changed both bearings and while the shift speed is definitely better, the pump does still make "bearings" noises when sufficiently hot (i.e. in summer weather, after some highway time at 140kph ~= 85mph).

I'd get a second hand pump and refurbish it beforehand if you want to minimize your downtime, for whatever reason. Otherwise, start with the simple stuff.

Info on the transmission (including fill procedure): https://slideplayer.com/slide/14432904/

Im just hoping that's where the temp sensor is and its not the sensor on the bearing in the manual pump body