Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold car/high revs/no drive

Brechin Slate

Hi all

This has probably been covered before but I can't find it searching the forum.

During cold weather, first start of the day, I engage D or R and it takes a while before I get drive to the wheels.  The engine revs increase in response to the throttle but I don't go anywhere for about a minute. Seems strange that you have to let a modern (2007) car warm up.  I'm guessing it's something to do with the viscosity of the transmission fluid but happy for any insight/guidance.

2007 is250, petrol, auto gearbox

Edited by Brechin Slate
Typo

• 1 month later...

Yeah... this is not normal.

Straight after start, after shifting into gear car should move off... I don't know in 1s... maybe 2 seconds. I mean yes there is like momentary delay when you just shift and straight away release brake, but it is very short, not 1 minute for sure.

And I been driving the car in -30C and there was no noticeably longer delay either, so it is not temperature either.

Could you remind mileage of the car and if gearbox fluid was changed/refreshed? 

Reference the messages above, I didn't get it looked at but I did sell the car.  Mileage was 162k and to my knowledge the transmission fluid had not been changed.  Threads elsewhere suggested this wasn't unheard of and going from P to R and back to D was a workaround. Not an engineering solution I know and if I had kept the car I would have looked at the gearbox more closely.  Anything above freezing and the problem didn't occur and when it did it cleared after about 15-20 seconds driving.

47 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Wow Mike. Did you sell the car because of the delay in being able to set off? What have you got as a replacement out of interest?

Hi Vladimir, I was selling it anyway as I wanted a newer Lexus.  I bought a 2017 IS300h Premier, see pic.  I miss my IS250 but it had to go one day and I'd spent 6 months getting my wife to agree so moved quickly before she changed her mind!  The new owner is delighted with my old car btw 😀

20201217_120805.jpg

Superb car you have now. I've had 2 is300h premium Premier (that's how the lexus dealers advertised them btw) models both exactly the same spec colour interior you name it even age but the 1st one I hated as it's handling was awful. 2nd was sublime. Loved it. Mine were Celestial Black. I'd still have that 2nd one but it had to go coz it was too small. Swapped it for a f sport RX450h. Yes I fully understand you miss the 250. Great it's new owner is delighted. Haha about you getting the 300h quick before the missus changed her mind lol. I bet she'll love the 300h. Enjoy it pal 👍

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links