Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On 12/27/2020 at 8:25 AM, impero said:

Hello there. In my case i drive a 2008 RX 400H AWD and depends on how i threat her. :0

If i drive like i should, i usually have kinda 28-28,5 MPG on 95 octane.

I will try 98 octane to check if it really make more MPG.

Cheers

Hmm - - - I may well try that too - - - - - - Thank you Marius

Cheers John - - - - - I will - - besides - I do so few miles these days, that a wee treat of snake-oil will do no harm, I suspect that at worst it would only make the difference of a few drams of Laphroiag Lore consumed per year - - (and that doesn't go into the car's fuel tank!)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Illogan said:

Cheers John - - - - - I will - - besides - I do so few miles these days, that a wee treat of snake-oil will do no harm, I suspect that at worst it would only make the difference of a few drams of Laphroiag Lore consumed per year - - (and that doesn't go into the car's fuel tank!)

A man after me own heart Sir!

• Like 2

2006 RX which is actually a Toyota Harrier. I average about 30 but mine's an underpowered 4-pot.

My previous car was a Passat diesel which did 50mpg easily and I would not go back. The Lexus is in a different league in terms of reliability, overall running costs are still way lower.

• Like 2

I find if you drive any RX like a normal car, you're going to get bad economy (you'll also wear the brakes out quicker too). The trick with any RX (including the hybrids) is to use the car's mass.

For instance when you take your foot of the accelerator, the car will coast for quite a while. I was surprised how far the car can coast before you have to re-apply the throttle. Get up to 30mph in town and take your foot off, it can coast for quite a way and still stay close to 30mph. To be honest, it wasn't like that at first, thanks to under-inflated tyres and sticking brakes. But those were easily sorted.

Using the coasting method, I get around 22 mpg around town on my daily commute in my RX300. That's with AC always on, a heavy toolbox permanently in the back and no deliberate mileage-enhancement. If I drive it like a normal car, the mpg does start to drop down and has gone as low as 17mpg.

The hybrids should get better mileage, using the Battery to store the energy gained under regen.

Then I get in the wife's 1300 and it's a different ball game. Great mileage, but the lack of acceleration is painful.

5 minutes ago, Delphius1 said:

I find if you drive any RX like a normal car, you're going to get bad economy (you'll also wear the brakes out quicker too). The trick with any RX (including the hybrids) is to use the car's mass.

For instance when you take your foot of the accelerator, the car will coast for quite a while. I was surprised how far the car can coast before you have to re-apply the throttle. Get up to 30mph in town and take your foot off, it can coast for quite a way and still stay close to 30mph. To be honest, it wasn't like that at first, thanks to under-inflated tyres and sticking brakes. But those were easily sorted.

Using the coasting method, I get around 22 mpg around town on my daily commute in my RX300. That's with AC always on, a heavy toolbox permanently in the back and no deliberate mileage-enhancement. If I drive it like a normal car, the mpg does start to drop down and has gone as low as 17mpg.

The hybrids should get better mileage, using the battery to store the energy gained under regen.

Then I get in the wife's 1300 and it's a different ball game. Great mileage, but the lack of acceleration is painful.

Wife`s 1300 what Mark ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Delphius1 said:

Using the coasting method, I get around 22 mpg around town on my daily commute in my RX 300..

That is standard good driving for economy in any car. The advantage of the hybrid, in my limited experience, is that a light touch on the throttle gives you Battery power only. The hybrid just seems to be easier to drive in this way - it feels more natural, without really trying too hard. The other advantage, as you say, is when you do have to brake some of the energy is put back into the Battery. I am still blown away with this (old my car) technology. 

The RX 400h and RX 300 cars are totally different beasts - both cracking cars but very different. I love the CVT box on the 400h and the mpg is much better.

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

MPG is the result of your driving style.

So, of course, if you touch it lightly, you will get a better MPG compared to the driving style in sport mode.

I can also say that compared to the RX300 it has a much improved consumption due to the hybrid part, not to mention the silence.

13 minutes ago, impero said:

So, of course, if you touch it lightly, you will get a better MPG compared to the driving style in sport mode.

I can also say that compared to the RX300 it has a much improved consumption due to the hybrid part, not to mention the silence.

"MPG is the result of your driving style.".....and many other things Marius.

17 minutes ago, impero said:

Yes and no.  Yes because you are technically right.

No because some cars no matter hiw you drive it, it just isn't capable of being economical.   Like my previous Ford S Max 2.0 turbo (240 bhp).  No matter what or how, i could not get more than 27mpg, and overall it averaged 24mpg over 2 years.

Hence why i got rid and now a very glad Prius+ owner.

12 minutes ago, T Sport 1978 said:

Yes and no.  Yes because you are technically right.

No because some cars no matter hiw you drive it, it just isn't capable of being economical.   Like my previous Ford S Max 2.0 turbo (240 bhp).  No matter what or how, i could not get more than 27mpg, and overall it averaged 24mpg over 2 years.

Hence why i got rid and now a very glad Prius+ owner.

We are talking about an RX400h Des. I am technically right and non- technically right.

5 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Wife`s 1300 what Mark ?

John, it's a Hyundai Getz Automatic (explains the lack of acceleration).  I know, but she wanted a small car with an Auto gearbox. I wanted a Car I could pick up for less then £500. 

Yeah, a grandad car, but it so reminds me of the Fiat Uno, except the engine doesn't rev as freely as the old Fiat FIRE engines.

It's almost a classic: 2004 and less than 50K miles. 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Delphius1 said:

Roy, it's a Hyundai Getz Automatic (explains the lack of acceleration).  I know, but she wanted a small car with an Auto gearbox. I wanted a Car I could pick up for less then £500. 

Yeah, a grandad car, but it so reminds me of the Fiat Uno, except the engine doesn't rev as freely as the old Fiat FIRE engines.

It's almost a classic: 2004 and less than 50K miles. 🙂

Be very careful Sunshine---I am a Grandad :):):)

Seriously, thanks for the explanation Mark. I once hired a car that that turned out to be a Getz from Granada Airport in Spain. It could not drag a skin off a rice pudding, so I`m with you on that.

I have never had a Fiat and never will and I`ve threatened the kids with the loss of their inheritance should they even dream of having one.

• Like 1

The prison that is Tier 4 Surrey 😉

37 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

We are talking about an RX400h Des. I am technically right and non- technically right.

11 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Sorry, Des, my mistake.

Where are you as your Avataar implies that you could be in prison, or Madagascar or en-route to Mars. :):):)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

That is standard good driving for economy in any car. The advantage of the hybrid, in my limited experience, is that a light touch on the throttle gives you battery power only. The hybrid just seems to be easier to drive in this way - it feels more natural, without really trying too hard. The other advantage, as you say, is when you do have to brake some of the energy is put back into the battery. I am still blown away with this (old my car) technology. 

The RX 400h and RX 300 cars are totally different beasts - both cracking cars but very different. I love the CVT box on the 400h and the mpg is much better.

Just my opinion.

That's true, although I don't skimp on the acceleration side of things... I just work with the mass of the car once all that bulk is rolling..

The hybrid models are certainly a more elegant way of harvesting that kinetic energy once it's got going. Definitely the way to go, but I had misgivings about investing is 15-year old hybrid technology. Possibly unfounded, but I couldn't risk any expensive bills. The same reason I avoided the airbag equipped SE-L.

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Be very careful Sunshine---I am a Grandad :):):)

Seriously, thanks for the explanation Mark. I once hired a car that that turned out to be a Getz from Granada Airport in Spain. It could not drag a skin off a rice pudding, so I`m with you on that.

I have never had a Fiat and never will and I`ve threatened the kids with the loss of their inheritance should they even dream of having one.

I'm a Grandad too, so the statement is true.

Yep, the engine in the Getz isn't the most efficient or refined thing in the world. The Fiat Uno was a good, cheap, fun car. Snikking up and down the gearbox keeping the revs up in true Italian style was a lot of fun, for such a small car. A lot more fun than you'd think a 1.0 would be.
When you close the doors of the Getz, the tinniness takes me right back to the Uno... 😄 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 4:42 PM, Delphius1 said:

The hybrid models are certainly a more elegant way of harvesting that kinetic energy once it's got going. Definitely the way to go, but I had misgivings about investing is 15-year old hybrid technology. Possibly unfounded, but I couldn't risk any expensive bills. The same reason I avoided the airbag equipped SE-L.

I had misgivings too, especially buying an older car. The RX 300 is relatively simple compared with the the 400h. I took the plunge and am pleased but it is early days yet. Hanging on to my RX 300 just to make sure!

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 9:26 AM, Delphius1 said:

For instance when you take your foot of the accelerator, the car will coast for quite a while. I was surprised how far the car can coast before you have to re-apply the throttle. Get up to 30mph in town and take your foot off, it can coast for quite a way and still stay close to 30mph.

This, I found this quite strange when I first got the car. Anyone who's ever played the classic computer game "Thrust" will understand what it's like driving one of these. When learning to drive a manual car I was taught never to coast with the clutch in because this is supposedly dangerous. Can't really see how an RX coasting in gear is any different but oh well!

You can always use S-mode to limit the car to second gear in 30-zones, then it will behave much more like a normal car and less like playing Thrust. However as mentioned above that will burn a lot more fuel.

On 1/1/2021 at 5:45 PM, m4rkw said:

When learning to drive a manual car I was taught never to coast with the clutch in because this is supposedly dangerous. Can't really see how an RX coasting in gear is any different but oh well!

You have no engine braking if not in gear and if you need to accelerate to avoid danger you cannot without first putting the vehicle back in gear which is why it is deemed dangerous.

Both of those things are not the case if you just come off the accelerator in a hybrid.

On 1/1/2021 at 6:07 PM, ColinBarber said:

You have no engine braking if not in gear and if you need to accelerate to avoid danger you cannot without first putting the vehicle back in gear which is why it is deemed dangerous.

Both of those things are not the case if you just come off the accelerator in a hybrid.

Ok the accelerator part is true but my car has very little engine braking in gear (also not a hybrid!).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links