Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Look at the Lexus IS300H

• 4 months later...

Time for a quick update now I've had chance to get to know the Lexus.

Overall very pleased still love the styling, comfort and relaxed driving. Averaging a shade over 49mpg since purchase, my figures, and this can only increase going into the warmer weather and no more lockdown short journeys I hope.

Compared to the Auris hybrid  it replaced the IS300h is streets ahead, have learned to stay in Eco mode until Sport is needed and now look foward to hills. These are the only modes I use as in Normal you need the touch of a surgeon to prevent the engine engaging. Eco is very similar to Normal in the Auris.

Plus points for me;

Styling, have had many positive comments since buying

Economy and relaxed cruising in slow moving traffic, I considered a Mustang before buying but realised they are totally unsuitable for our congested and speed limiting roads.

So comfortable

Sport mode always puts a smile on my face.

Change lane indicators, great idea which took minutes to learn and work.

Keyless entry and starting

The boot just takes my golf bag width ways without having to remove clubs

£10 road tax hehe.

Minus points

Paddle shifters what's the point?

The ride could be better, not great on our ever deteriorating roads. I will have to test a 2017 upgrade.

Infotainment just about works but could be and should be improved.

Lexus dropping the model for UK, if I want to stay loyal my only option is a Corolla 2.0 estate with nothing on the horizon. 

Finally a couple of minor issues, the fan is noisy giving a rattling sound at times with a one-off WWII siren on start up which increased in volume and pitch as I increased the blower speed. Went away within half a mile and never heard it since. The large central console creaks when cornering with a bit of speed, this has been constant since buying.

Car is under warranty but for me these minor gripes weren't enough to have Lexus investigate during lockdown.

So pleased I choose the IS300h and all ready to tour Scotland shortly.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I can get the car up to about 45mph in electric mode before the engine kicks in, the furthest I have managed on electric only was about a mile, but quite a bit of that was downhill.😊

I am really impressed with my IS 300h since picking it up in February.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bounce75 said:

I can get the car up to about 45mph in electric mode before the engine kicks in, the furthest I have managed on electric only was about a mile, but quite a bit of that was downhill.😊

I am really impressed with my IS 300h since picking it up in February.

I was really chuffed to hit 40 yesterday on EV in mine - it's good to see there's still some headroom :-)

22 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I was really chuffed to hit 40 yesterday on EV in mine - it's good to see there's still some headroom 🙂

My 45mph wasn't in EV mode it was in ECO mode, I only really use EV mode to get it in & out of the garage to wash it.👍

10 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

My 45mph wasn't in EV mode it was in ECO mode, I only really use EV mode to get it in & out of the garage to wash it.👍

It's a terminology thing.

EV mode is when the hybrid system will switch off the ICE, essentially running on electric only, and illuminate the EV indicator on the dash. For the IS that can happen up to around 51 mph and is fully automatic.

EV drive mode is a driving mode selected by the driver by pressing the EV button. This forces the vehicle into running on electric only and an 'EV mode' indicator appears on the dash. The max speed in this mode is 28 mph, after which you will get beeps and a message stating the mode has been cancelled (the same thing will happen if you press the accelerator too far and all for more power than the electric motor can provide by itself). 

• Like 5

If coasting downhill you can get very close to 50mph in economy electric mode but as soon as you touch the accelerator the engine kicks in. 

Can't really give a range as it varies so much, warm weather helps and if you have a route with plenty of long downhill stretches I reckon 5 miles. Anytime you need to climb, the shortest dab on the throttle will bring in the engine but it is smooth and virtually unnoticeable. Even when the engine kicks in you benefit from the electric motor. Just don't expect to be running around just in electric mode it's not designed for that.

• 1 month later...

Be warned. IS300h is a very nice car but insist on:

- it being provided with a “jump start” kit otherwise a very unreliable car;

- get them to give you a full tutorial:

- full explanation as to why you never do anything without the car being in”Ready” mode.

Much better you consider a Korean Hybrid in my opinion 

8 hours ago, David lings said:

- full explanation as to why you never do anything without the car being in”Ready” mode.

i wouldnt agree the IS300h is an unreliable car

i think its the owner having little knowledge of

what needs to be done, did you ever disable the

keyless entry for the car when it wasnt being used,

its similar to saying that audi and bmw's are dangerous cars

and they are not, again its the owner having no knowledge

of what the indicators and mirrors & speed limits are for.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 200h said:

i wouldnt agree the IS300h is an unreliable car

i think its the owner having little knowledge of

what needs to be done, did you ever disable the

keyless entry for the car when it wasnt being used,

its similar to saying that audi and bmw's are dangerous cars

and they are not, again its the owner having no knowledge

of what the indicators and mirrors & speed limits are for.

My thoughts entirely Mark.

The Handbook is an invaluable source of information.

13 hours ago, David lings said:

Certainly NOT unreliable - that's an ill considered sweeping statement - yes the 12v Battery can go flat / expire but that's the same as any other car - hybrid or not - done it a few times in normal ICE cars leaving electrics like radio on while stood without the engine running! My 2014 IS 300h has done 103,000 miles and still on the original 12V Battery and has never failed yet to start - even earlier this year after being left outside for a week in sub zero temperatures. Like any car I accept the 12V Battery is now probably nearing the end of its life and I do carry one of the glove box jump starter packs just in case but I have always carried jumper cables in all my cars previously just in case (and used them in my other cars on occasions). I certainly have no complaints regards reliability in comparison to any other marque. Interestingly my daughter is thinking of getting a Kia Niro Hybrid and so it will be interesting to compare reliability after a few years if she goes down that route. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, David lings said:

Why do you consider a Korean Hybrid much better, David ?