Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 tech help required.

Hi guys, looking for some help/advice , my 1996 Ls 400 has been standing for approx 5 months, was looking to take it for a long overdue run last week, Battery obviously flat so I jump started it from a jump start machine, started on the button straight away but have no electrics ie no dash lights indicators, wipers, can’t move it due to no power to gearbox inhibitor switch, charged Battery for 24 hrs in case it was completely duff Battery and there just wasn’t enough to power everything up  I’m now thinking maybe a fuse or relay or could it be something more serious, everything was fine when I parked it up back in the summer, any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

• Sad 1

I was wondering that! I have connected  jump leads to it but may still not be enough to power everything up. My main car is still under warranty so I’ll see what cover I’ve got if not my sons in the AA, many thanks.

The chances are that you have blown the 120A “Alternator Fuse” in the main engine bay fuse box. Unfortunately this is not the usual plug in type fuse but a terminal type which requires removal of the fuse box to access the screw terminals.

Although the video link below is for the GS430 the principle of replacement is similar which should help. It is incorrectly titled as 120 Volt not Amp fuse.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

The chances are that you have blown the 120A “Alternator Fuse” in the main engine bay fuse box. Unfortunately this is not the usual plug in type fuse but a terminal type which requires removal of the fuse box to access the screw terminals.

Although the video link below is for the GS430 the principle of replacement is similar which should help. It is incorrectly titled as 120 Volt not Amp fuse.

That’s great, thanks!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Is this caused by charging the Battery in situ without removing both terminal?

I don’t think so as they tend to be low current devices, the cause of the fuse failure is the high currents involved in starting the engine and a flat Battery also trying to charge at the same time.