Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT 200 H advice

MUDGUTS

Hi,

I’m looking for some advice on changing to a CT 200 H from my e60 530i M Sport. Previously I’ve had LS 400, GS 300 etc. My Wife has an RX 300. 

Most of my miles now are motorway. My normal commute is 120-200 miles each way 3-4 times a month at least which are 95% motorway. I’m getting 29-30 mpg from my BMW and I’m doing 25,000 a year. 

Realistically, can I do this? I would be buying an approved Lexus and probably only want to spend £12k maximum. I’ve had it with traders so this is the way I have to go. 

I understand I’ll miss the poke I have now but there’s not really much motorway left now where I can make significant progress. 

All advice gratefully received. 

Hi Phil, I've had my CT200h Advance from last November (approved used) in that time my mpg varies in general around town mpg for me is between 40mpg winter to 50 mpg summer, motorway driving varies between 50-65ish mpg (i've seen 2 occasions where the computer registered 75mpg but that was a fluke (filled up just before the motorway and had steady average speed zone of 50mph for 40 miles).

The one thing I hadnt appreciated when i bought the car is it would need a change of driving style to get the most out of the hybrid system, overall definitely happy with the purchase. I bought the extended warranty which added 2 years for £495 which includes 2x MOT test fee as well as comprehensive breakdown cover.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have had a CT 200h since August. I don't do the sort of mileage you do yourself so can only comment on how I have found mine up to now. 
The fuel consumption is very good and I average 50+ mpg overall. Most of my driving is in town (London).
As you say I'm sure you will miss the power of your present car, the CT is by no means quick but in 'sport' mode is nippy if needed. It's a quiet relaxing drive rather than a drivers car.
The ride quality won't be as comfortable as your present car - it does not worry me personally but you do feel every lump in the road! You also sit quite low and I find at night other cars headlights are in your face.
Interior space  - up front is fine and it's easy to find a comfortable driving position and rear space is ok for two people but cramped if five up. Rear load space is fairly limited but depends on what you need to carry.
I don't mean to put you off by any of my comments because overall I find it a well screwed together car, nice interior and pleasant to drive.
I would certainly try one out to give you an idea of it's character.
Good luck in your purchase
  • Like 1

I've had 2 IS200, RX 300, Infiniti EX30d and Q50, until the CT200h I have now.

It is a great car. My complaints would be lack of "poke". It also has a really small boot compared to the Q50 and the road noise is annoying.

Plus side I am getting 50mpg+ It only costs £35 to fill up not £70/80.

I like all the tech stuff.

Damian

Thanks everyone,

I’m looking around now for a post 2014 model as I understand the ride is better. I’m slightly concerned about the performance and road noise but I guess I’ll get over it. Gone are the days when I could sit in my LS or GS at a ton plus - I just can’t afford to lose my license now. 

Will keep you all posted.

3 hours ago, MUDGUTS said:

Thanks everyone,

I’m looking around now for a post 2014 model as I understand the ride is better. I’m slightly concerned about the performance and road noise but I guess I’ll get over it. Gone are the days when I could sit in my LS or GS at a ton plus - I just can’t afford to lose my license now. 

Will keep you all posted.

when i had my ct the best thing i bought for her was a new set of tyres, the oem Yokohama's

made so much noise in the cabin, after changing to Dunlop Sport maxx Rt2 tyres the

cabin road noise was reduced significantly and gave a nice quiet ride.

Thanks folks. I went to have a look at a CT200h ‘Advance Plus’ today at Lexus Teesside. Whilst it looked great, I’m not sure the drive would suit me, doing 25,000 miles per year.  

...Having said that, the low running costs would have probably lead me to try and I was on the verge of making an offer when I discovered the service history had a massive 30,000 mile gap! Apparently this is acceptable even for an approved used Lexus. How can this be? There was a service at 10k, 20k then the next was very recently, I guess when it was taken in at 49k

I’m going to keep an eye on the market and will keep you all informed. 

Pre-lockdown I was doing 100 mile per day commute in my 2012 Ct200h F-Sport. Most of this is on congested motorways (stop / start traffic) and with the CVT gearbox it is great and the driving position is super comfortable for me. The heated drivers seat is a nice place to be even in a standstill on the M6 at 7am on a dark winter morning. It does have a bit of 'poke' in Sport mode, but it's definitely not a fast car 🙂. It definitely looks faster than it is in F-Sport trim.

My opinion is that, for the money the Ct200h is hard to beat. But of course it all depends what you are looking for and what works best for you.

HI Phil

i think as long as Lexus services the car back to where it should be for its milage it then

becomes a lexus approved car and comes with 1yr warranty and AA breakdown cover

just make sure the next car you look at has a full Lexus service history

just a thought have you thought of an IS300h considering the milage you will be driving each year

Thanks for the input folks. 

I’ve switched the search to the IS300h now. Really I would want a GS or LS for my commute but can’t justify it so the IS would be a sensible compromise. I’ve done a bit of research and as with the CT and people here have a advised, a change of driving style will be necessary. 

Thanks again. 

it was on the website early this morning

here is a picture of when i 1st bought it

the paintwork had a deeper cleaner shine to it

and looked so much better when i sold it

no reg number for forum.jpg