Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Hello All, 

Im a newbie and looking to buy a RX300. I have seen a 2005 SE-L model local to me, but it has an issue in which the Nav system has stopped working. Apparently the system stopped suddenly, and now it has no Nav, or Heating Controls. 

Could this be an easy fix with a replacement unit, or does it need to be coded to the car? 

Thanks

Chris 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No NAV could be the DVD system in the boot... or...?

Heater controls - could be anything?

The SE-L will have air suspension. Great if it works but £££ to fix.

Unless it's for minimum £ i'd walk away - what else might be wrong, yet to be discovered?

Any link for the car?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I agree with Piers.

There will be better ones out there. Air suspension is around the £600 per corner mark if any air strut goes faulty and heater controls could be anything from a faulty switch or loose connection upwards.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd second walking away from an SE-L with air shocks. Find an SE-Nav instead. Springs in the suspension and Nav with reversing camera. 

The SE-L was okay when it was new and under warranty, but an older car outside of warranty is a liability. £600 per corner when the shocks rust through. And they will.

Just bear in mind the Nav on a 2005 car will be pretty clunky and the last upgrade didn't improve it much. I just use it for preset destinations to hear the posh lady's voice. Day-to-Day I use Waze for navigation on my phone, it's easier to use being totally hands-free.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-rx300/333831787778

This is the add for the car, looks pretty clean otherwise but I have read about the air suspension being an issue. I was wondering if the Nav unit could just be swopped with a secondhand one? 

Owner seems upfront with the issue, but due to work havent been able to take a look. History with lexus sounds promising?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The nav being out may be something as simple as a blown fuse. The interior fuse box is up under the glove box under a cover and is notoriously hard to find if you don't know where it is. 

But that suspension is the killer. It will fail and it will cost £600 per corner. When I was looking I deliberately sought out the SE model with springs.

The price of the car on eBay is around what a good one would go for with everything working. My 2004 RX300 SE-Nav cost £2.5K over 2 years ago. So it's not really much of a bargain considering the lack of the Nav unit. If it's the Nav unit itself that's faulty, it's not a cheap item even second-hand. I don't know if it's coded to the car, I've never had to swap one thankfully.

It depends if you want to roll the dice, how much of a gambler are you?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Delphius1 said:

The nav being out may be something as simple as a blown fuse. The interior fuse box is up under the glove box under a cover and is notoriously hard to find if you don't know where it is. 

But that suspension is the killer. It will fail and it will cost £600 per corner. When I was looking I deliberately sought out the SE model with springs.

The price of the car on eBay is around what a good one would go for with everything working. My 2004 RX300 SE-Nav cost £2.5K over 2 years ago. So it's not really much of a bargain considering the lack of the Nav unit. If it's the Nav unit itself that's faulty, it's not a cheap item even second-hand. I don't know if it's coded to the car, I've never had to swap one thankfully.

It depends if you want to roll the dice, how much of a gambler are you?

 

Thanks for the information. My current car was bought as a mini project and while its been fun, its ended up costing me more than I wanted.

I'll give this one a miss and keep an eye out for an SE next year. 

Cheers for all the help. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You could search this forum as there have been owners who have changed the air suspension when it failed for coil springs, with I think very good results.

As  for the sat nav forget it, just use your phone or a stand alone ( say tomtom or Garmin) unit.

Heater controls would need investigating.

good luck with your search.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Challo said:

Thanks for the information. My current car was bought as a mini project and while its been fun, its ended up costing me more than I wanted.

I'll give this one a miss and keep an eye out for an SE next year. 

Cheers for all the help. 

I tried finding that car using its Number Plate to get its MOT history.

Kept telling me it did not exist. Odd. Maybe just me?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PCM said:

I tried finding that car using its Number Plate to get its MOT history.

Kept telling me it did not exist. Odd. Maybe just me?!

It's on a private plate Piers so the records are probably under its 'proper' reg number.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership