Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine cutout - Electrical glitch?

Hi All, 1st time poster, Looking for some advise - 2017 GS300h,which I have had for 3 years now, full main dealer service, after starting the car today and driving about 500 meters down the road, it felt like I was losing power.  Pressed the accelerator and the power meter went into the area where the engine will kick in if its not already on, but the car stayed in EV mode.  The engine had been on previously at the start of the journey.  Pressed the pedal a few times but the engine did not come on, I put the car into neutral and let it cruise to a safe stop.  When I stopped got the message to turn on the power and also the light for the steering came on.  I pressed the power on button and the car came back to life no other problems.  Any ideas? An electrical glitch?  Thanks in advance

Brian

I dont have a code reader no I am not sure, but once I restarted and drove for a while there was no problem.  I am wondering if it could be the 12v battery - with all the lock downs the car has not been getting as much driving as it normally would.  I'll checkout the voltage on the 12v Battery today.

Thanks for the table - very helpful.  I measured the voltage it was 12.10v.  Went for a spin about 45 mins.  Measured again its reading 12.62v now.  Will monitor it over the next few days.  Presume it is an AGM Battery installed?

So a quick update, I haven’t had a repeat of the initial issue, but did notice today that the automatic high beam wasn’t working - when pushed the stalk into the high beam position nothing happened.  I pressed the button to turn off the automatic high beam and then on again and everything was back to normal. To be honest haven’t been driving in an area that would need high beams since the original issue so not sure if it’s related.  
Any recommendations for a code reader to see if there is any stored codes?

Thanks

Brian 

I have Techstream, but for a quick regular check on Lexus and other cars I look after with OBDII I use an Autool unit (see amazon, etc). Cost less than £10 and is similar to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-EOBD-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-OBD2-Car-Engine-Scanner-Tool-Fault-Code-Reader/393044272148?epid=20042964754&hash=item5b8343a414:g:My8AAOSw9BBfy0pn

(but it's not the same as that so I can't vouch for that particular unit). There are also plenty listed on amazon. They link to an app  on your mobile phone via Bluetooth. Recommended app is Torque - there's a free version but Pro recommended - costs about £2.50. The app gives code reading, clear ECU light, real time engine data, etc.

These only cover engine codes - for full coverage you need Techstream - it comes with the software (for a windows pc) and the correct cable. Again see eBay and /or amazon.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links