Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus service stamps vs independent servicing

Mcalr3

Hi folks,

I've just taken ownership of a 66 plate RX450h which has full dealer servicing via an independent garage (3 stamps in the book and due one just now). 

This was an upgrade from a 66 plate NX300H (needed the extra boot space) which didn't have lexus servicing and was through an independent. 

I get it that lexus's are luxury cars but the service costs are pretty ridiculous at the main dealer (£520 vs £180ish) for what essentially is an oil/filter change and the usual checks. 

My question is - is there really a big benefit to main dealer servicing in terms of PX value? I guess this only matters when trading in to lexus dealer. Obviously while the vehicle is under warranty it is required but since its outside warranty, are the PX values offered by lexus so much better than independent garages in folk's experience? 

I've searched the forum but I couldn't really find any info relating to PX value at Lexus dealers being so much better than independents. 

We plan on keeping the car for probably the full 4 year PCP so it will be 8 years old when we come to PX. 

11 minutes ago, Mcalr3 said:

Hi folks,

I've just taken ownership of a 66 plate RX450h which has full dealer servicing via an independent garage (3 stamps in the book and due one just now). 

This was an upgrade from a 66 plate NX300H (needed the extra boot space) which didn't have lexus servicing and was through an independent. 

I get it that lexus's are luxury cars but the service costs are pretty ridiculous at the main dealer (£520 vs £180ish) for what essentially is an oil/filter change and the usual checks. 

My question is - is there really a big benefit to main dealer servicing in terms of PX value? I guess this only matters when trading in to lexus dealer. Obviously while the vehicle is under warranty it is required but since its outside warranty, are the PX values offered by lexus so much better than independent garages in folk's experience? 

I've searched the forum but I couldn't really find any info relating to PX value at Lexus dealers being so much better than independents. 

We plan on keeping the car for probably the full 4 year PCP so it will be 8 years old when we come to PX. 

Welcome Ryan.Nice to have you join us. Tell us about yourself and send piccies please.

My initial thoughts,but others will come along soon.

1.Why think of changing it now? It will likely last 20 years and 200,000miles

2.Keep it and use Lexus Essential Servicing when it is 5 years old (cheaper)

3.You must have the Hybrid Battery tested annually at Lexus for it to be warranted for a further 12 months/10,000 miles

4. Consider taking out a Lexus Extended Warranty after your initial warranty expires. It will cover you for failure of Mechanical and Electrical parts until RX is 10 years old. And 2 M.O.T. tests and AA Membership.

Edited by royoftherovers
typo

Here's some photos. 

Yeah I had a look at the essential servicing but it doesn't seem a whole lot cheaper.

I get that the lexus servicing gives you greater peace of mind but just wondering if its worth 2-3 times the price compared to 3rd party servicing. If I was getting rid of the car in the next 2 years then absolutely but if I'm planning on keeping it for a minimum 4 years (maybe longer) then perhaps it's not as worth it. 

The car only has 14k miles on the clock, so I guess the low mileage would increase its value even more if it had full dealer stamps. 

IMG_20201216_144122.jpg

IMG_20201216_172852.jpg

Screenshot_20201210-180528.jpg

Screenshot_20201210-180531.jpg

• Like 1

Work out what you’d save by using an independent rather than a dealership over the period of ownership. Then do some research on autotrader to see what the difference is in sale price between comparable models for cars with FSH and cars without one. Also factor in whether an independent uses genuine manufacturer parts or cheaper pattern parts. Also factor in whether the independent is servicing the car to exactly the same service spec as a Lexus dealership.

Most people, I think, pay dealership prices for peace of mind. I think the annual hybrid health check is essential and this costs about £90 and is done as part of the Lexus servicing.

I’m in two minds when my warranty expires next July as to whether I renew the warranty and also whether I continue with Lexus dealership servicing. A lot will depend upon whether I can find an independent that will service in accordance with the Lexus schedule and using genuine Lexus parts. I do question the need for a warranty given that these cars are reliable and rarely go wrong.

Servicing every 10k miles / 12 months is definitely one of the more expensive aspects of running a Lexus that’s for sure.

• Thanks 1

Just now, paulrnx said:

Hybrid health check is £59 not £89

Or done free of charge as part of a Lexus service. Well free of charge in terms of it being included in the price of a Lexus service.

1 problem with independent places is they maybe cheaper but they dont always know what is due on each interval like a dealer would. So you end up having a "cheaper" service but not having essential items replaced or checked. Meaning the stamp in the book is nothing more than a stamp. Buying a car with service hsitory is a must but when its main dealer history it just gives that little more peace of mind imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1