Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h crazy insurance quote

Hi All,

I am (was?) going to buy a 06-08 RX400H and just asked current insurer for a quote using a potential motor's plate (a 56). I pay about 36/mth for Saab 9-5 2006... they quoted me £96!! I didn't think hybrids were that much more to insure - am I missing something?

TIA

Yes, these are more like it. Thanks guys - your feedback is much appreciated. I could understand if I was 21 trying to insure a Subaru or something. Sounds like I might be cancelling with RAC. Shame, they're pretty good usually...

2 hours ago, MrNizibs said:

Yes, these are more like it. Thanks guys - your feedback is much appreciated. I could understand if I was 21 trying to insure a Subaru or something. Sounds like I might be cancelling with RAC. Shame, they're pretty good usually...

Get a number of quotations from agencies like'Compare the Market dot com' and you'll discover how widely varied the quotes can be

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Use a broker like https://www.aplan.co.uk/ who do all the comparisons for you. I've dealt with A-Plan for five years now and had insurance with three different companies through them during that time and I can say they are excellent to deal with.

Thank you Herbie - I've never heard of them. I'll give 'em a go!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Herbie said:

Use a broker like https://www.aplan.co.uk/ who do all the comparisons for you. I've dealt with A-Plan for five years now and had insurance with three different companies through them during that time and I can say they are excellent to deal with.

Hey Herbie,

You're right about A-Plan: very nice to deal with. But, still nearly 1k a year on a 56 plate. I'm 49, 4 yrs NCB, no business mileage... the guy at A-Plan seemed to think it was the make and model but you guys are getting sensible quotes.... I'm baffled....

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MrNizibs said:

Hey Herbie,

You're right about A-Plan: very nice to deal with. But, still nearly 1k a year on a 56 plate. I'm 49, 4 yrs NCB, no business mileage... the guy at A-Plan seemed to think it was the make and model but you guys are getting sensible quotes.... I'm baffled....

It can be really difficult sometimes. You could try Chris Knott as I've heard good words about them....however, a few weeks ago I gave them a call and they wouldn't insure me; it may be my RX or possibly down to location too. I have 14 yrs NCD and no business mileage either 😟

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, MrNizibs said:

Hey Herbie,

Sorry it didn't work out for you Lann.

I hate car insurance, they just seem to make it up as they go along. Ours is a 2013 RX450h, 12k miles/year, both of us 62 years old, both over 9 years NCB, and business cover for both of us and it was £575 last year. Due on 1st February if I remember correctly, it'll be interesting this year because we've both retired and no longer need business cover for either of us - wonder if it'll drop?

14 hours ago, MrNizibs said:

Go get a brand new quote from RAC as is you were a new customer......it will be cheaper as loyalty just does not pay these days.

1 hour ago, MrNizibs said:

Hey Herbie,

It could well be down to the Cat thefts - the 400h does seem to be targeted more than any other car.

20 minutes ago, Lydiamight said:

A link to The Money Saving Expert web site guiding you as to how to get the best deal on car insurance

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance/#buying

I follow (mostly) the Money Saving Expert process every year - and it is fascinating to see first-hand how quotes will differ company by company. Now, the various comparison sites have slightly different form formats, and so I always, but always, make sure that I have a sheet of paper (I actually use a spreadsheet), with ALL the information that they are likely to require.

Details of car, date acquired, expected mileage, (private/business), licence number, partner's details (if required), address, type & level of cover, excess level, etc

I then set about contacting the various online sites, and spend a good hour or so getting quotes.

My quotes this year ranged from circa £400 to over£2800 (!!!) - same details, same car, same me!!!!

I always but always, then research the reputation and reviews of the two or three companies whom I might have shortlisted - - just to make sure that if I am ever required to claim on my insurance - that I'm not trying to deal with a cheap offshore 'erbert  who try to avoid every possible reason why they should pay out.

The internet is so useful!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

Sorry it didn't work out for you Lann.

I hate car insurance, they just seem to make it up as they go along. Ours is a 2013 RX450h, 12k miles/year, both of us 62 years old, both over 9 years NCB, and business cover for both of us and it was £575 last year. Due on 1st February if I remember correctly, it'll be interesting this year because we've both retired and no longer need business cover for either of us - wonder if it'll drop?

No worries Herbie! I'll persevere - I think I'd suit a Lexus😃 Yours should, in theory, drop I'm guessing...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrNizibs said:

No worries Herbie! I'll persevere - I think I'd suit a Lexus😃 Yours should, in theory, drop I'm guessing...

....see if you can get some old geezer on your insurance ......someone like Old Git 🤣....that seems to help reduce down insurance as well.

• Haha 1

I am a old geezer 67, grumpy as well says my wife and my nickname does me proud, I think North Norfolk is a low insurance area Broadlands is the is one of the lowest crime areas in the UK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Git said:

I am a old geezer 67, grumpy as well says my wife and my nickname does me proud, I think North Norfolk is a low insurance area Broadlands is the is one of the lowest crime areas in the UK.

Pleased to meet you Sir!