Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In IS mk2, you cant have it... well via any reasonable means. You can obviously get 2-DIN full replacement system which supports it, but Lexus does not exactly have standard DIN fitment. I do not actually use apple carplay, as I am more of android guy (android auto). But for cars which supports it it is great - you get google maps navigation (yes even apple uses it) and full phone integration - basically your car infotainment screen becomes sort of phone screen, just with focus on features which are more important in car. Different style menu which is easier to read whilst driving etc. 

But either way this tech is not really for mk2 and even on mk 3 is very difficult to get it working.

Yeah... that is what I mean by saying " no reasonable means" - £600+ (including shipping and customs) for what will be very compromised experience on original mk2 system.

In such case I would rather fit something like that https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Player-Multimedia-Bluetooth-Navigaton/dp/B07G5XGB2S

Obviously, it has no apple carplay and probably not even android auto, but it has built in android systems which would provide about the same experience as you would get from them. Adding grom to original system in my opinion would be waste of money.

I am sure one of these options should work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Stereo-Navigation-10-1Inch-Mirror/dp/B07TJ94BF4/ref=pd_di_sccai_6?pd_rd_w=Vha03&pf_rd_p=f45e6bfc-40b0-4749-aceb-1ea1cd205758&pf_rd_r=K7ES5KFPEDWTAK6V2PQJ&pd_rd_r=8c89dc3a-9b16-4251-ab48-f8b9f4628d13&pd_rd_wg=yN3e8&pd_rd_i=B07TJ94BF4&psc=1

They certainly made versions for both ML/non-ML and no SatNav at all. I think the difference is the loom itself, so these should be adaptors which should allow fitting this to each version of the car. Obviously, best way to know is to reach out to seller and see.  

I use the VLine 2 system in my car (ML with sat nav). It means I can use wireless apple Car Play (works perfectly) and Android wired Car Play (works 90% of the time with the odd connection issue)

Expensive option... Sure, although it works perfectly and adds many other functions to the standard (rubbish) factory system.

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

90% of the time with Android Play? That's an improvement from what I read some time ago. 

Yep, just the odd occasion (once a week maybe) where I connect the phone and the unit says it's connected although nothing is displayed..  a simple unplug and try again always fixes it so it's not a deal breaker

I’ve spent a lot of time looking into this, I’ve recently acquired an F Sport 2010 IS250 and I believe 2010 IS250s with iPod / Iphone playback the only viable option is the GROM VLINE 2. Ive actually just ordered this tonight so can let you all know my experiences when fitted. This applies to NAV cars only NON-NAVI vehicles can support any android unit I believe.

For any car 2005 to 2009 with NAVI or any non-NAVI there are several android units that can replace either the top portion or the IS infotainment or the entire thing with a Tesla style unit. With android, you’ll have the ability to use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto by use of a third party app and they work extremely well even integrating into steering wheel controls and wireless Carplay working also.

They’ll replace the entire system and still provide functions for climate control and car functions either via buttons or built into the OS but you do have a considerable drop in sound quality due to cheap chinese DAC’s but DSP’s may remedy this.

I’ll provide a few links to give you guys an idea, there are a few videos of guys who have installed these units also!

£317.82  48% Off | TEYES CC3 For Lexus IS250 XE20 2005 - 2013 Car Radio Multimedia Video Player Navigation stereo GPS Android 10 No 2din 2 din dvd
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0mTSNx

£179.46  17% Off | Xdcradio 10.4" Android 9.0 For Lexus IS IS250 IS300 IS350 Car Radio Car Multimedia Player Auto GPS Navigation Stereo 2005-2011
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOxorfb

£207.00  25% Off | Car Radio Android 10.0 10.1'' DVD Player For Lexus IS250 IS300 IS200 IS220 IS350 2005-2012 Stereo 2 Din Head Unit GPS Navigation
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOdBZln

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/29/2020 at 10:13 PM, McShmoopy said:

£317.82  48% Off | TEYES CC3 For Lexus IS250 XE20 2005 - 2013 Car Radio Multimedia Video Player Navigation stereo GPS Android 10 No 2din 2 din dvd
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0mTSNx

This comes highly rated. If and when my screen dies, this will be my replacement.

Link to purchase direct from Teyes Australia site.

https://www.teyes.com.au/collections/lexus/products/lexus-is250-xe20-2005-2013?variant=42277195907331

Note that RHD & LHD IS250 have different layout for the factory buttons. Audio, Map, Disp, Climate etc are on different sides of the screen for each version ( RHD has got Audio,Climate etc on Right) not sure if this is important when purchasing an Android unit that still allows these features ( Climate controls etc) but I would double check!

That's an interesting headunit. But a point is that the site states once the unit is fitted the buttons on the left side will be closed as in not operate. You should contact the seller to explain that and let us know.

17 hours ago, LIJO151 said:

This comes highly rated. If and when my screen dies, this will be my replacement.

Link to purchase direct from Teyes Australia site.

https://www.teyes.com.au/collections/lexus/products/lexus-is250-xe20-2005-2013?variant=42277195907331

‘Highly rated” ? By who? There are No reviews on that link selling the unit! And on the AliExpress site, 2 reviews, 1 good & 1 Not!

there's a guy on YouTube that is primarily Saab oriented But he's by far the best guy I've seen so far reviewing android head units and explaining them. This Teyes CC3 seems a superb piece of kit. it has an all round camera kit. But as I've said before. On the Ozzy site it clearly states the left hand buttons become redundant!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texas said:

‘Highly rated” ? By who? There are No reviews on that link selling the unit! And on the AliExpress site, 2 reviews, 1 good & 1 Not!

I was referring to YouTube video review. 

Thanks Vlad for the link.

9 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

That's an interesting headunit. But a point is that the site states once the unit is fitted the buttons on the left side will be closed as in not operate. You should contact the seller to explain that and let us know.

I agree Vlad need to clarify what exact do they mean about the left side button closed. 

I've actually written to them yesterday and waiting for their reply. It'll be interesting what they say. In that video that guy has everything working plus in another video shows how to put 4 cameras around the car which when set up shows full 360 views. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

another video shows how to put 4 cameras around the car which when set up shows full 360 views. 

This would be interesting indeed.

I think it is moot point of whenever android system is "highly" or "lowly" rated - literally any system will be 10 times better than what Lexus fitted 16-17 years ago. Imagine this - the baby born when that system was made would be 18 next year!.. and that system wasn't even very good at the time.

As for buttons being other way around, I can't see that as an issue - buttons are built into the unit itself, so they will work regardless and at least for me it does not matter if it says "Map" on the right or the left. I guess if somebody has extensively used the built in system before, it may take 2 days to remember that buttons are the other way around, but overall that is no different as buying new car and then realising that some features are located in different places.

Linas. Re the 360 all round view. Look up Saab Unleashed on YouTube. That's where the video is and personally speaking I think it's arguably the best 360 all round view there is. 

Depending on the reply I get from Teyes I'll be getting one this year.

7 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

I've actually written to them yesterday and waiting for their reply. It'll be interesting what they say. In that video that guy has everything working plus in another video shows how to put 4 cameras around the car which when set up shows full 360 views. 

Vlad, I too have written to them yesterday and waiting for reply.