Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice for “new to me” CT servicing.

Cushers

Good evening All,

I could do with the collective’s advice...

I have a new to me 2014 CT Luxury with 50k on the clock.
It had its last “Lexus service” in May 2018 @ 38k miles.  It then had an “Arnold Clark” @ 44k miles in December 2018. It has no registered service since then.

The local Lex dealership is recommending a major service @ £479 or would provide a minor @ £300

They also offer a 3yr service plan ; 36 monthly payments @ £20 (edited, if only it could be £2, 🤣)

I do feel that as she is a hybrid I should have that Lexus checked. 

What would you opt for? Any of the above or a decent Indy garage? Any and all advice from those in the know would be greatly appreciated

Graeme

Edited by Cushers
Incorrect cost by an order of magnitude !

Graeme, I would advise the following

A full Lexus Service which will include a Hybrid Battery Check and Warranty for it for 12 months  and 10,000 miles

A 3 year Service Plan at a little bit more than £2 Graeme 🙂 and 

Take out a Lexus Extended Warranty for 2 years at about £30 monthly which will cover you against Electrical and Mechanical failures. You can take these out every 2 years until the vehicle is 10 years old or has covered 140,000 miles.

Do enjoy what is a very fine motor car.

• Like 1

It depends mostly on if you want to take out a Lexus Extended Warranty because one of the conditions attached to it is that you have the car serviced at a Lexus dealership. If you are the sort of person who likes to have a warranty then forget third-party ones as the Lexus warranty is about the best you'll ever get. It includes the hybrid health check, full breakdown cover (including Europe) and it even covers your spouse as well as you, no matter who the car belongs to - doesn't even need to be a Lexus.

If you're not bothered about a warranty then just have any work done at any recommended, known-good, garage and get the Hybrid Health Check done as a stand-alone service from Lexus for £59. As long as it passes it's covered for a year or 10k miles.

• Like 2

My CT is the same 2014 Luxury. We are eligible for the Lexus Essential Care service which costs £175 for a minor and £310 for a major at the dealership. They are both inclusive of the Hybrid Check. Unless you need extra work done like changing the spark plugs at 60k miles (year 6) or the coolant change at 100k (year 10), there is no difference between the cheaper Essential Care service and the "normal" service. This may be your 6th service so you could opt for the major essential care service + additional spark plug change which likely will end up cheaper than the normal service anyway. Taking into account the £59 Hybrid check, the essential care service at the dealership is relatively good value IMO.

Since the OP had a service by Arnold Clark, I am unsure if he/she could still get the Lexus Extended Warranty. If anyone has experience with this, I am interested to know if one has a third party service history could get the Extended Warranty after a service carried out by a Lexus dealership? My local dealer checked my service history thoroughly to ensure all of them were done at the required intervals by a Lexus dealer.   

• Like 2

Hi folks,

really appreciate your replies. On reflection the warranty is not something I’d planned on getting. The reason for choosing a Lexus was its reliability and great economy. If money was not a limiting factor I would definitely go with John’s suggestions, then again if money was not a factor I’d buy new 😉

think I’ll get the hybrid check and find a good independent Toyota mechanic. 
thanks again

Graeme

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cushers said:

Hi folks,

really appreciate your replies. On reflection the warranty is not something I’d planned on getting. The reason for choosing a Lexus was its reliability and great economy. If money was not a limiting factor I would definitely go with John’s suggestions, then again if money was not a factor I’d buy new 😉

think I’ll get the hybrid check and find a good independent Toyota mechanic. 
thanks again

Graeme

OK,Good luck.Please keep posting and let us know how you get on with the Lexus.Happy New Year.

On 12/29/2020 at 7:37 PM, CT200h-TL said:

Since the OP had a service by Arnold Clark, I am unsure if he/she could still get the Lexus Extended Warranty. If anyone has experience with this, I am interested to know if one has a third party service history could get the Extended Warranty after a service carried out by a Lexus dealership? My local dealer checked my service history thoroughly to ensure all of them were done at the required intervals by a Lexus dealer.   

Yes that should be possible. You either pay for an inspection or have the vehicle serviced at a Lexus dealer who will ensure there are no pre-existing faults.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1