Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT after IS200 for the occasional driver?

LexingtonNY

Hi, looking for some advice on my next Lexus

I've pushed my 1999 IS200 as far as it can go (and beyond) and it has now earned a much deserved retirement. 

I'm thinking of moving to the CT as my main requirement is reliability. I'm also a somewhat "bingey" driver - periods with almost no driving (<10miles a week) followed by a few long trips in a short period (>500miles). Probably less than 2,500 miles in a year. 

Any issues with the hybrid engine and Battery retaining charge with this kind of driving profile? Is it a case for a trickle charger?

I'm slightly wary of larger engines in the IS250/IS300 which don't enjoy (in my limited experience) sitting around for long periods of doing nothing. 

Cheers,

Nothing to worry about doing small or large miles in the CT. The 12v Battery will lose charge if the car isn’t used for several weeks but as it doesn’t have to crank the engine with a starter motor it doesn’t need a long run to put back in what was required to start it. A few short trips plus one or two long ones in a month is fine. The bigger traction Battery can go months unused without issue. The CT works best around town, often running on electric only, but it will happily cruise on the motorway when needed. 

I’d definitely recommend test driving one, even if that takes a bit more organisation with COVID restrictions. It will be quite different to the IS and needs to be driven differently to get the best out of it. Some people find the ride too firm and CVT annoying but most (I.e. not motoring journalists doing 0-60 thrashes) get on fine. It isn’t a quick car if you just stab the throttle but it does handle quite well so rewards smooth inputs and can corner quite fast with the weight being low down and a stiff chassis (stiffer on 2014 models onwards). 

• Like 1

I had 2 IS200's and an RX 300. The CT is very different car. It is not a drivers car, but still very good and very economical, especially compared to my old RX.

3 minutes ago, Damer said:

I had 2 IS200's and an RX 300. The CT is very different car. It is not a drivers car, but still very good and very economical, especially compared to my old RX.

One man`s driver is another man`s chauffeur.

I have a GS45h and enjoy driving the CT. I relish driving both.

4 hours ago, colin79666 said:

Nothing to worry about doing small or large miles in the CT. The 12v battery will lose charge if the car isn’t used for several weeks but as it doesn’t have to crank the engine with a starter motor it doesn’t need a long run to put back in what was required to start it. A few short trips plus one or two long ones in a month is fine. The bigger traction battery can go months unused without issue. The CT works best around town, often running on electric only, but it will happily cruise on the motorway when needed. 

I’d definitely recommend test driving one, even if that takes a bit more organisation with COVID restrictions. It will be quite different to the IS and needs to be driven differently to get the best out of it. Some people find the ride too firm and CVT annoying but most (I.e. not motoring journalists doing 0-60 thrashes) get on fine. It isn’t a quick car if you just stab the throttle but it does handle quite well so rewards smooth inputs and can corner quite fast with the weight being low down and a stiff chassis (stiffer on 2014 models onwards). 

Really helpful information - thank you

I had read that the ride on the pre-2015 models was pretty firm - is that the case? I don't expect to waft along in an armchair, but we will see when I manage a test drive in the spring. Any issues with high mileage used versions? 

Yes, I'm expecting big differences with the IS200 - in its prime, that was a v smooth motorway crusier, but just not the right fit for me now...

22 minutes ago, LexingtonNY said:

I had read that the ride on the pre-2015 models was pretty firm - is that the case? I don't expect to waft along in an armchair, but we will see when I manage a test drive in the spring. Any issues with high mileage used versions? 

Yes, I'm expecting big differences with the IS200 - in its prime, that was a v smooth motorway crusier, but just not the right fit for me now...

A ride on any F Sport with profiles of 45 or less must be firm.

I`d avoid like the plague, but each to his own.

14 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

the 17 plate IS Fsport i owned had 255/35/18's on the rear i think the fronts where 225/40/18's

the ride was pretty comfortable i have lower back issues and never found the ride to be an issue for me,

everyone is individual go and have a good test drive 30 minutes minimum to get a good feel

for any car you plan on purchasing its the next biggest purchase to your house so

be 100% certain the cars right for you before the salesperson gets paid their commission.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I went from a 2014 Advance to a 2018 F Sport and found little difference in the general ride. Both quite firm but then I came from a Suzuki Swift Sport so seemed fine to me. 

Yes pre 2014 model year are a bit firmer as part of the facelift they stiffened the chassis, allowing for slightly softer suspension and they also changed the CVT a little so it drones a bit less when accelerating up to speed. Plenty people happy with their pre facelift cars though. The 2018 facelift was more cosmetic and there have been various changes for the kit included in the trim levels over the years. 

• Like 1

Is200 i have had 2 of them, the first a 6 cylinder and the second a 4 cylinder which i kept for 14 years, what a great car truely miss it and apart from ecomomy a far superior car than my current is300h, just my opinion 

21 hours ago, LexingtonNY said:

I have a 2018 CT and if the ride has been improved since 2015 cars then it must have been very harsh because you do suffer uneven surfaces. It doesn't worry me personally but it is the only thing that let's down an otherwise nice car.