What tyres do you use?

Pirelli SottoZero (currently gen. 3)Β from November through April. Β 

6 minutes ago, PCM said:

Nice!

What tyres do you use?

Β 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 4:43 PM, royoftherovers said:

Quite a bit of bad weather in Italy then.Thanks Renato.

That is what I would normally call good weather during Christmas/New Years - snow adds that festive spirit! 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

... snow adds that festive spirit! 😁

Indeed it does, though it has been depressingly observed that the festive spirit has, like snow, a tendency to turn to slush. Β  Personally I like

snow as depicted on postcards more than in real life and I am equally partial to videos of supercars doing controlled skids on icy tracks in

places like Lapland as long as they don't encourage imitators in my own neighbourhood. Β  Generally speaking I am not at all sure whether

cars objectively lend themselves to manifestations of seasonal jollity. Β  I once saw a car with what looked to be custom-fitted Santa's Hat

covers onΒ the wing-mirrors but the idea, while not wholly devoid of festive charm, seems not to have caught on.

It may be just me, but I like snow...Β that is perfect setting for Christmas and New Years. And it would rather be very cold and dry (like -10C at least), then you get nice snow powder - sure nobody like the slush as that is no way better than cold rain.

Now I don't have where to bleeping stick my fireworks as if you stick them in the mud they willΒ get stuck in the ground. And decorating Christmas tree when it is raining outside equally feels weird, so I just don't do it in UK. Maybe because snow is customary for Christmas in the place I came from.

As for driving, I enjoy driving on snow and ice - provided I am on proper winter tyres (like SottoZero)Β and still have marginal control of the car. In LondonΒ I would rather avoid driving when it snows than fit winter tyres for those 2 days when they actually beneficial.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

It may be just me, but I like snow...Β that is perfect setting for Christmas and New Years. And it would rather be very cold and dry (like -10C at least), then you get nice snow powder - sure nobody like the slush as that is no way better than cold rain.

Now I don't have where to bleeping stick my fireworks as if you stick them in the mud they willΒ get stuck in the ground. And decorating Christmas tree when it is raining outside equally feels weird, so I just don't do it in UK. Maybe because snow is customary for Christmas in the place I came from.

As for driving, I enjoy driving on snow and ice - provided I am on proper winter tyres (like SottoZero)Β and still have marginal control of the car. In LondonΒ I would rather avoid driving when it snows than fit winter tyres for those 2 days when they actually beneficial.

I like to see some snow as long as it doesn't hang around for too long but we rarely get it here on the Sussex coast.Β Β 

• Like 1

Although I've once or twice needed to dig myself out of snowdrifts, I've never had any serious mishaps in snowy or icy conditions on normal roads

and in normal traffic. Β  So, apart from the usual uncomfortable feeling of not being in complete control of the car and the belief that other drivers

are less worried about possibly hitting me than I am about hitting them, my dislike of anything but the lightest snow is not based on any specific

bad experience. Β  It is based, rather, on the fact that I live at the bottom of a long and steep incline consistingΒ of sections of old cobblestones and

age-worn granite slabs. Β  The presence of compacted snow and/or dense slush on these kinds of surfaces means that winter tyres as an alternative

to chains are an absolute necessity. Β In such conditions, provided that SNOW-mode is on and TRC and VSC are off, and with 1st Gear engaged and

creeping speed maintained, the RC can negotiate the hill satisfactorily in either direction, though I invariably expect a fewΒ rear wobbles, especially

when moving off after undesirable but occasionally necessary full stops. Β  Both of the IS300h's I had before my first RC, one of themΒ with theΒ 

same fatter rear tyres as the RC, seemed to keep a straighter trajectory when moving off on compacted snow than the RC, which may have

been the result of a gentler pedal response orΒ a more favourable distribution of weights, but the differences between the models is really no

more than marginal. Β  Β The thought of having had to negotiateΒ the hill in the IS250s that preceded my first IS300h brings back unfond memories

of frequent lossesΒ of control and sometimes quite violent fishtailing as a prelude to ending up sideways, my prayers for snow-free winters having

usually goneΒ unanswered.

• Like 2