Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine oil leak from timing cover

I have a NX300 that is just over 2 years old having its second service just before Christmas. I was told there was an oil leak on the timing chain area originally but when I recently asked about it being covered on warranty it was mentioned that it was sweating rather than leaking. Would you believe that sweating isn't covered under warranty. Has anyone experienced anything like this as I believe if oil is around the area it must be leaking?

18 minutes ago, Plum270578 said:

I have a NX300 that is just over 2 years old having its second service just before Christmas. I was told there was an oil leak on the timing chain area originally but when I recently asked about it being covered on warranty it was mentioned that it was sweating rather than leaking. Would you believe that sweating isn't covered under warranty. Has anyone experienced anything like this as I believe if oil is around the area it must be leaking?

Hi Philip, I would like to know which Lexus Dealership told you that.

Google and American Forums are referencing numerous instances of leaks and timing chains--do some research.

Don`t attempt to argue with the Dealership, just write(email) to the Head of Servicing at the Dealership and request him to commit in writing on behalf of the Dealership  the difference between a leak and a sweat and to state categorically the reason for the problem which has been indentified with your vehicle.

Then take out an Extended Lexus Warranty to commence on the day following the day your vehicle reaches 3 years old

Do keep us all posted please. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Plum270578 said:

Thanks John for your advice, they are going to have a second look at it. It will be interesting to see their conclusion but I have a feeling I already know.

Hi Philip. I'm very surprised to hear about a leak. I don't yet own an NX but it is my choice for when I change from my GS. As John says, please keep us posted on what happens.

1 hour ago, Plum270578 said:

Thanks John for your advice, they are going to have a second look at it. It will be interesting to see their conclusion but I have a feeling I already know.

Philip, you seem to possess amazing powers of the future.

Who will win the Premier League?

And what was the name of the Lexus Dealership you did not tell us about?     :):)

9 minutes ago, Plum270578 said:

The Lexus Dealership have been excellent so far exceeding expectations. I would rather give them the opportunity to sort this issue out first before naming.

Fair enough Philip. Hope all goes well.

Interesting from what I can remember from previous posts involving Lexus dealers when “Slight misting” on shock absorbers/dampers and the vehicle being out of warranty would result in  quote for several thousand pounds for replacements. However a “sweating” seal under warranty is dismissed even when it’s a known documented problem.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Plum270578 said:

Good news the Lexus dealer has resealed the leak. It would appear that they changed their mind at some stage and did it under the warranty. Thanks guys for your input.

Well, what a pleasant surprise Philip ?

Keep an eye on that area that "sweats", just in case it happens again.

Very pleased for you.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:33 PM, royoftherovers said:

Philip, you seem to possess amazing powers of the future.

Who will win the Premier League?

And what was the name of the Lexus Dealership you did not tell us about?     :):)

I would have thought that your Premier League Neighbours would be best placed to help you with this year's Table Toppers.

• Like 1