Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery charging - time to charge up ?

Ok,

I got dash cam hard wired into the Battery and it records even when the car ignition is off, now recently the dash cam says 'shutting down' to preserve Battery power or something, does that mean is time to recharge the car Battery ? The car starts fine everytime with no issues etc...although for many months I used the car less due to working at home though.

Thanks !

Sounds like what my Thinkware branded one blurts out, word for word. If it is the same, there's a voltage threshold in the camera settings (configured by mobile app or on a PC).

I find the camera says this a lot sooner if I've had the door open for a little while (various lights come on) or some other aspect of the car on. I've never found it necessary to immediately charge the Battery (car still starts fine).

However, in this cold temperature and with it drawing power from the Battery even when off, it's worth trickle charging to keep it topped up. These hybrids don't have big batteries.

Another option on Thinkware is an option regarding a time limit for parking mode recording. Even if the Battery voltage is healthy, it'll turn off after 4, 8, 12 or 24 hours, and you can choose that.

Thanks all !

Didn't take long to charge up, not checked yet to see if the dash cam will go to power saving mode and yep one of the occasions was when I had the door opened for period of time like when cleaning the interior, tbh on mine that is a ThinkWare brand I haven't played round with option of limiting to say turn off after 4, 8 hours etc

• 5 months later...

Wiring your dash cam direct with a hybrid Lexus IS a mistake.

If it did not have the voltage detection you would end up with a Battery incapable of activating the hybrid system and hence the car would not start without a jump start.

it seems a design weakness of a Lexus. Many forums bemoan this problem which I unfortunately have also experienced.

You never do anything in a hybrid Lexus without the system being in “Ready” mode.

to do so just quickly flattens the Battery.

3 hours ago, ikeja said:

I have a dash cam that draws its power through the fuse box. Is this wrong?

Nothing wrong with that, but it depends if you are taking a permanent 12v or a switched one. If you are taking a permanent one so you can record when you leave the vehicle unattended does your cam have voltage detection to shut down if the Battery is getting low, and at what voltage does it shut down? Many wait until the voltage is way too low and damage has already been caused to the Battery.