Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water / Moisture in boot / trunk

Strange coincidence, I noticed my rear window had developed a load of condensation built up. So only a couple of days ago I setup one of my dehumidifiers and let that run for a few hours on the back seat. Took out a reasonable amount of water. I put this down to not using the car much and probably when I washed it a week or so ago. Will be interesting to see if you find anything where you actually have a leak... 

make sure the spare wheel well isn't filing up with water

as your hybrid Battery is located where a spare wheel

would be kept there is a gap under the Battery but

better to be safe than sorry

remove the boot floor carpet then remove the plastic

storage tray this is held in place with approx 12 clips

once the tray is removed you can see the hybrid Battery.

Indeed, I had the panels up to check. There was a small pile or 2 of damp mud/leaves right at the bottom, so something is getting in somewhere..     I might have to get further investigative persons. Lol

received_2735864053341875.jpeg

There are many things I have always been too scared to do myself, so taking all these panels off was a very anxious time for me. Lol. At least I know now for future that the lights are only held in place by the 2 bolts, a bit of a wiggle and pull and they come out. Don't press in any other pins.... They are nothing to do with the light... I need to work out how to access them from the other side to push back in again. 

received_695174467861880.jpeg

• Like 1

I had some drips of water coming in from above the Battery. Finally tracked it down to the rear window seal. Although this isn't directly above the Battery I think drips must have been running down some inside bodywork strut and finally falling down above the Battery. Sealed it with silicone sealant.

That probably isn't what you're seeing as you had moisture around the boot lock. But it might be worth a check if you can't find the leak elsewhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 200h said:

are there any drain holes in the boot lid that maybe blocked

I thought that initially, but can't see where water might get in... Though I haven't taken the panel off to check, that is tomorrow's job. I've had the car since Jan 17 and have not had the rear window repaired/though also not checked the seal, waiting on smoke bomb. Eek. 

15 hours ago, Thackeray said:

I had some drips of water coming in from above the battery. Finally tracked it down to the rear window seal.

Just to clarify, this is the 12 volt Battery not the hybrid Battery. I thought I'd corrected this when I posted the message but the clarification seems to have disappeared!

• Like 1

I've noticed the same steamed up rear window in the last few weeks. The boot does not appear wet but I've not looked behind the panels yet as that would involve removing the wife's junk! 

1 minute ago, Shada said:

I've noticed the same steamed up rear window in the last few weeks. The boot does not appear wet but I've not looked behind the panels yet as that would involve removing the wife's junk! 

Have you checked the filter behind the glovebox ?

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Have you checked the filter behind the glovebox ?

I just replaced it this afternoon. I done the annual service and it wasn't replaced last year. It was replaced 2 years ago. 

No issues with air circulation and its only the rear window fogging up.